fbpx

Windstone Graveyard

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Windstone Graveyard

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Hey Melody, here’s something I kinda always wanted to know: Where do your not-so-perfect sculpts & general mess-ups go? I know some things like the limited production brown & gold dragon bookends and Flatpaws make it either into the shop, on Ebay or raffle but do the rest just get put somewhere? Or can you reuse the materials? Just wondering… 😳

Elena
    Participant

😳 I hada vision of an overgrown weedlot filled with imperfect Windstones when I read this 😳

Kujacker
      Participant

I remember it being mentioned they throw bad castings (the ones that are beyond hope) into a dumpster. I remember someone saying they wanted to raid the factories garbage cans 😆
        But maybe that’s changed.

Jennifer
        Keymaster

I thiiink that they get smashed intentionally then dumpstered (or maybe smashed into the dumpster..) so that no one can ever get their hands on a truly flawed piece, since it could tarnish Windstone’s hard-earned reputation for highest quality pieces if it got ‘out’.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

PurpleTurtle
          Participant

I wouldn’t mind nabbing a few ‘tarnished’ pieces. I’d have a blast repairing and painting them 😀 . And I promise I wouldn’t tell anyone where i got them 😳 .
            But seriously, I totally understand why they would destroy the defective items :yes: .

Melody
            Keymaster

DragonCat wrote:

Hey Melody, here’s something I kinda always wanted to know: Where do your not-so-perfect sculpts & general mess-ups go? I know some things like the limited production brown & gold dragon bookends and Flatpaws make it either into the shop, on Ebay or raffle but do the rest just get put somewhere? Or can you reuse the materials? Just wondering… 😳

We can’t recycle the gypsum. We would love to, but it is not a realistic thing to do because of the energy it would take to make it back into its original state. The bad castings get pulverized and put in the trash.
              We “rescue” most dragons and make them copper patina.
              We do end up with allot of finished pieces that are too good to throw out, but not good enough to sell. I don’t know what to do with those. -And, of course, each month one slightly imperfect, irregular, or odd piece gets raffled !

Melody wrote:

We can’t recycle the gypsum. We would love to, but it is not a realistic thing to do because of the energy it would take to make it back into its original state. The bad castings get pulverized and put in the trash.
              We do end up with allot of finished pieces that are too good to throw out, but not good enough to sell. I don’t know what to do with those. -And, of course, each month one slightly imperfect, irregular, or odd piece gets raffled !

Did you ever think of offering a “grab bag” of these? You know, get a bunch of them together, mark them GRAB BAG SECOND so that they are marked as not having been on the retail market, with one lowered price… and then offering them to the forum folks who’d treasure them despite flaws? You could do “hoofer”, “dragon” and “other”, with no choices offered– you buy yer ticket, and takes yer chance, one per customer.

I think it’d be neat– you’d have no clue what was coming, except that it was something Windstone and thus something we’d all like. And if someone got something they hated, unlikely though it might be, there would be others in the forum who would take it off their hands, guaranteed!

Melody
              Keymaster

Nytetyger wrote:

Melody wrote:

We do end up with a lot of finished pieces that are too good to throw out, but not good enough to sell. I don’t know what to do with those. -And, of course, each month one slightly imperfect, irregular, or odd piece gets raffled !

Did you ever think of offering a “grab bag” of these? You know, get a bunch of them together, mark them GRAB BAG SECOND so that they are marked as not having been on the retail market, with one lowered price… and then offering them to the forum folks who’d treasure them despite flaws? You could do “hoofer”, “dragon” and “other”, with no choices offered– you buy yer ticket, and takes yer chance, one per customer.

I think it’d be neat– you’d have no clue what was coming, except that it was something Windstone and thus something we’d all like. And if someone got something they hated, unlikely though it might be, there would be others in the forum who would take it off their hands, guaranteed! I have wanted to do something like that on ebay, auction off a sealed box; we’d give the weight and the rough value so nobody bids too insanely high, and let the contents be a surprise. That would be fun! I am not sure ebay allows that though, as it smacks of gambling.

Kujacker
                Participant

Melody wrote:

I think it’d be neat– you’d have no clue what was coming, except that it was something Windstone and thus something we’d all like. And if someone got something they hated, unlikely though it might be, there would be others in the forum who would take it off their hands, guaranteed!

I have wanted to do something like that on ebay, auction off a sealed box; we’d give the weight and the rough value so nobody bids too insanely high, and let the contents be a surprise. That would be fun! I am not sure ebay allows that though, as it smacks of gambling.

There are tons of grab bags on ebay. I don’t think a windstone one would be a problem.

foxfeather wrote:

😳 I hada vision of an overgrown weedlot filled with imperfect Windstones when I read this 😳

LOL XD I had the same vision!

@ Kujacker: I would… *runs to change into old clothes and to grab a bucket* 😀

@ Jennifer: It’s understandable. Us addicts know you guys pride on quality. But it’s US!! 😉

@ Purpleturtle: Me too… 😳

Ohhh… I get it now. Thank you Melody. 😀 Actually, I wouldn’t mind trying to get a bag/box on ebay and i’m pretty sure those “too pretty to destroy, not amazing to sell” are not as bad as you think. Maybe a ‘tye dye’ piece or slight damage would be given a good home. Now to wait for the next raffle!!!

twindragonsmum
                  Participant

Melody wrote:

Nytetyger wrote:

Melody wrote:

I think it’d be neat– you’d have no clue what was coming, except that it was something Windstone and thus something we’d all like. And if someone got something they hated, unlikely though it might be, there would be others in the forum who would take it off their hands, guaranteed! I have wanted to do something like that on ebay, auction off a sealed box; we’d give the weight and the rough value so nobody bids too insanely high, and let the contents be a surprise. That would be fun! I am not sure ebay allows that though, as it smacks of gambling.

I really LIKE this idea :yes: :yes: :yes: !

twindragonsmum 8)

tdm

Nina
                    Participant

Oh the grab bag idea would be cool! E-bay allows for “mystery boxes” you just sell the box & fill it up. It’s kind of weird because you’re bidding on a box with items that “might” be in the box, not the items. I did a lot of these to clear out some art supplies. A person bids and I would just fill it up about double the value they paid. If you look under mystery boxes I think you can find e-bays rules about it.

Jennifer
                      Keymaster

Melody, you CAN do mystery boxes or ‘grab bags’!

Here is a quote from eBay’s official rules page:

Quote:

Grab bags are listings where identified items are sold in a group (in a bag). You can list grab bags as long as you follow these rules:

Identify all contents of the grab bag in the listing. The number, quality, or condition of these items doesn’t need to be identified.

The listing doesn’t single out anything that “may” be contained in the grab bag that has particular monetary or obvious collectible value. For example, grab bag listings for collectible comic books can’t allude to the possibility that a specific rare, high value comic book “may” be included in the grab bag. This type of listing is considered a lottery, which is not allowed on eBay.

All contents of the grab bag need to follow our prohibited and restricted items policies.

Source: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-bonus-prize-giveaway-raffle.html

So if you, for example, say “This sealed box contains (1) one Windstone Editions dragon painted by Me, Melody Pena, in a mystery color!” You should be just fine.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                        My art: featherdust.com

KoishiiKitty
                        Participant

Ooooooooooooooooooooo……..what a fun idea! You could do all sorts of crazy colors that way!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.