fbpx

Will These Work?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Will These Work?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie
    Participant

I just went to the craft store today in anticipation of someday buying some PYOs, and I bought a few things that I’ve got questions about. Will these work? Left to right:
      FolkArt Antiquing Polish Black / FolkArt Antiquing Polish White / Delta Ceramcoat Satin Interior Varnish / Winsor & Newton Water Colour Art Masking Fluid (the lady said this would work for acrylics too, but it says it’s for use on paper and it’s very runny – would it stick to an eye or jewel?)

Thank you! Any help is appreciated.

Stephanie
      Participant

kitsunelady
        Participant

I’ve got the same masking fluid – it stuck to the eyes of my muse, so I’d say yeah. I dunno about the other stuff. e.e I just bought what was recommended on the forum (antiquing fluid-wise) – if you want some, let me know, I’ve got extra. =)

Stephanie
          Participant

Some people don’t like the varnish that you brush on to seal your PYO once it is finished… a lot of people use sprays… I use the Kaylon Clear Coat spray, and I put the blue masking tape on the eyes and stone… I haven’t used anything that you have up there… I am sure that there are some that have! πŸ™‚

Stephanie
            Participant

Thank you for the info!
              And thank you for the offer, kitsunelady, I’ll let you know if I can’t find the right stuff here. πŸ™‚

dragonmedley
              Participant

I use brush-on clear coat, but the Folkart one. It’s satin, so not too shiny.

I’ve never used the rest, so I don’t know.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Jasmine
                Participant

I use the fluid mask on the eyes and jewels. It’s really runny but it also dries really fast. You want to put at least 4-5 coats on the eyes. I’ve never used the other stuff so I can’t say, though I have seen the antiquing polish.

I have the brown antiquing gel like that and it works fine, I put a think coat of clear coat on first, just in case I dont like it though. I dont use masking gels though, I scrape the paint off the eyes/stones with a toothpick or needle when I am done.

Stephanie
                  Participant

Ruffian, you use the FolkArt antiquing polish and it works fine?
                    It looks like everything I got will work! Woo! Thanks, everyone!

Jennifer
                    Keymaster

Stephanie wrote:

Ruffian, you use the FolkArt antiquing polish and it works fine?
                      It looks like everything I got will work! Woo! Thanks, everyone!

The polish is a bit different from the gel. I don’t know anything about the polish sadly. πŸ™

The masking fluid is good, but be sure to use many layers of it or it will be hard to remove. I’d say at least 3-5 layers. You want it to be a thick thick rubbery wad by the time you’re done.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                      My art: featherdust.com

Stephanie
                      Participant

Okay, thank you for the masking fluid tips! I will use many layers.

Ruffian, I just reread your post. There’s a gel in this brand? Perhaps I should go try to find that rather than using the polish…

kitsunelady
                        Participant

So, that brings something to mind. How do you make *colored* antiquing? Like red, or blue…

twindragonsmum
                          Participant

Delta Ceramcoat Gel Stain Medium. “Transforms acrylic paint into a gel stain” Unfortunately, I’ve heard that they will be discontinuing it, so I’m on the hunt to stock up ’cause I really like it.

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Pegasi1978
                            Participant

twindragonsmum wrote:

Delta Ceramcoat Gel Stain Medium. “Transforms acrylic paint into a gel stain” Unfortunately, I’ve heard that they will be discontinuing it, so I’m on the hunt to stock up ’cause I really like it.

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€
                              Where did you hear that? There’s no note on the manufacturer’s Web site.

twindragonsmum
                              Participant

That they’re discontinuing it? Or what it does? What it does in written on the bottle πŸ˜€ but every person I’ve spoken to in every art supply shop from Micheals to the high end folks in Utah have said that the item is being discontinued and they didn’t know why…… and boy are they pissed about it!

twindragonsmum

tdm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.