fbpx

Tundra and honoring her memory…

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Tundra and honoring her memory…

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Riversgrace
    Participant

Thank you for the suggestion Grayfire! I miss her, but keeping busy with painting and preparing has helped alot, I hope I can do her justice in this piece. Again thank you for the idea. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Oh she is so beautiful! She looks just like our Jenna.

You picked the colors that I seem to remember using…. Titan buff is one I use a lot, and burnt sienna works very well for the Husky Reds. You can mix them a little go get just the right shade. If you need to tint it to match just right, try adding just the TINIEST touch of one of your blues which will dull the color, or if you need to make it more vibrant, add a touch of your hansa yellow or cadmium orange.

I’d recommend NOT base coating with grey. Grey will dull the overall look and these huskies have almost pearly white fur… it’s so pretty in the sun! If it was mine, I’d mix some titanium white with titan buff, so that you have a paint mixture just slightly lighter than the titan buff. (love that color) Base coat with that, then dry brush your titaium white very gently and lightly over the fur, adding a bit more where necessary (such as around the face etc, where the fur always looks really white). Then mix your burnt sienna with titan buff and paint in her red areas with a really light burnt sienna. Let it dry then I would do glazes of pure or nearly pure burnt sienna on her red areas. If you thin it, it will settle into the fur and create a dimensional effect. Let it dry completely between each layer. Then you can go nuts with any shiny markings you want to add to her wings, etc.

Note: your 2oz Heavy Body Metal Tubes… this is THICK paint and you will need to thin it down with either water or your glazing liquid in order to brush it onto the PYO easily. This just requires a little playing around to figure out the consistency you like. “Heavy Body” paints means thick.

Can I mix Ceramcoat with Golden? Or Liquitex with Golden? Yes! The ceramcoat paints do not have the same luster or color intensity as Golden, so it might dull the paints a little bit, but it can be done.

Did I get the right thinner? I haven’t used this thinner before. It sounds like it is made to create glazes for paintings, such as painting on canvas. I don’t know how it will work on a PYO! Maybe you can experiment on a sheet of paper first and let us know how it works!

What is the heavy gel used for? Eep! Sadly, there really isn’t a good use for heavy gel on a PYO. It is used by painters to mix with their paints (or apply as a stand alone) to make the paints very, very thick and dry with impasto (big, chunky texture). For example… I sculpted this piece out of heavy gel! http://featherdust.critter.net/fantasyindex/pages/Forest%20Phoenix%20View%203%20-%20Acrylic%20and%20Leaves.html It’s super duper thick. Can you return it? Either that or keep it for an art project… if all else fails you can sell it to someone here.

Did I get a proper clear coat brand? I use the Krylon brand clear coats with no problem and I think many of the members here do, too. You should be safe! Just let your PYO dry for a few days before you spray it, if you can. Never spray in high humidity, allow your PYO and the can of spray to get to the same temperature before spraying.

What is the difference between the heavy body and bottled paints? “Heavy Body” when referring to paints is referring to the weight, or thickness of the paint. A paint that has a lot of ‘body’ is thick and create impasto for painters. Since impasto is rarely desired on a PYO, it is not recommended. The good news is that you can thin “Heavy Body” paints, but it’s just an extra step.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Riversgrace
        Participant

Sent you a pm Jennifer. <3 Thank you!!!!

Amy
          Participant

I’m really sorry about Tundra, hun ๐Ÿ™

Are you doing a PYO wolf with the wings, or what PYO did you actually get?

Riversgrace
            Participant

I did buy a PYO winged wolf ๐Ÿ™‚ With the light blue eyes, it came UPS the same day her ashes came back from LA. So it was a very emotional day last week. I am taking my time figuring out how best to use these paints since most of what I bought was the harder to work with stuff, but I want this piece to be perfect. My husband also suprised me with a memorial dog tag on that day that has a picture of her and I together etched into it, with the words “Tundra Forever in my Heart” So I am doing better ๐Ÿ™‚ Working on blending and color schemes on canvas first then I will start on her, and I will some how get a picture of the piece on here once I am done with it lol.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.