fbpx

Tundra and honoring her memory…

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Tundra and honoring her memory…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Riversgrace
    Participant

I just lost my best friend of 11 years on Monday, 27th of June 2011. She was born on August 2nd of 2000. She helped me get through so much in my life, its too long to type here. I joined the U.S. Navy and she has gone everywhere with me, except on the boat lol. She is the most beautiful red and white Siberian Husky with blue eyes I have ever seen…since I run a Husky Rescue I have seen my fair share. In my grieving for her, a friend suggested that I make her something. I crochet so I decided while I waited for her ashes to come home, I would crochet a mat for her box to sit on. I found the most stunning blue sparkling tight knit yarn and it took me 4 days to complete. Now I have turned to my other talents. I have been painting since I was little, mostly water colors and pastels. Now with this beautiful opprotunity to paint a sculpted piece I find I need to ask advice, because I have never attempted anything like this. How I found out about this collection was 7 years ago I stared into the window of a mall store that had a set of Kirins…took me 2 years to save up for them, but they are mine and I cherish them. So I set out to ask now, how do I go about painting this PYO piece once it arrives? I would love to airbrush, but have no idea where to start on that one. Would brushing be ok? if so what is the best paint to use? The more help and suggestions the better. I want it to be as beautiful as I can make it for her. Any and all suggestions are most appreciated!

P.S. She is 10 in the picture, but I will be using a photo from when she was about 4-5 years old and in her prime πŸ™‚

Carolyn
      Participant

That so sweet . Under Pyo there is link on what to do . I use to have a dog that was part husky . She was a beautiful dog . Post pics when you have them . Sounds like you both had a wonderful life together .

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

I’m sorry to hear about your friend. As an animal lover myself I have felt thsi pain all too many times myself and I understand fully what you are going through. It’s never easy loosing one of our fur babies. I hate that they have such a short time on this earth.

As far as the PYO goes, I use fairly inexpensive water based acrylic paints that you can get at almost any craft store. Even Walmart carries them sometimes. Brushes are the real key I think, cheap brishes will give you streaky and/or lumpy work. If you want to go all out, Golden Brand acrylic paints work wonders, but they can get a little expensive.

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

littleironhorse
          Participant

You’ll find a tutorial here written by the very talented Jennifer. And there’s also lots of information in this section if you look at the stickies at the top of the page.

http://www.windstoneeditions.com/sites/default/files/pyo_tutorial.pdf

Riversgrace
            Participant

Thank you everyone! I printed out the PDF self help guide, and thank you for the advice on brand of paint. I don’t care how much stuff costs really with this. She is worth every cent if I can get this to look right. I tried to upload her picture but for some reason I goofed and it didn’t show up. I will try again and I will post pictures of the final piece once it’s done. Again thank you everyone for your kind words…she gave out love like it was candy in her pocket, she showed many people that huskies are loving family pets, not just scary dogs that pull sleds lol. I hope I get this right!

Jennifer
              Keymaster

Riversgrace,

Hello! Welcome, though I am sorry it is on sad circumstances. Your father in law just wrote me about this and you found the forum even before I could point you both in this direction! Our Jenna is a red husky like Tundra. I am so sorry for your loss.

To post a photo on our forum, here is a guide by our very own Hannah (thank you Hannah):
                http://www.deadbunny.org/html.html#images

If there is anything we can do to help you paint your PYO let us know!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

Riversgrace
                Participant

Jennifer,
                  Thank you for painting such a beautiful girl! Otherwise I never would have found PYO. When I first saw Jenna, I thought it was a piece put out by Windstone and had no idea an individual had painted it…you are very talented as I have seen your other art by now…but you already knew that πŸ˜‰ I went out and bought about 10 different colors in the golden line. Which colors did you use to get the right ‘red’ for the husky. When I was looking at all the colors I thought, wow, matching real life stuff is way harder than getting a fantasy idea, cause I had a million ideas for a kirin, or a dragon lol. I bought specifically for her the titan buff, and burnt sienna…thinking that was a good place to start. I also would like to clear coat her, I don’t know whether to antique her or clear coat when I’m done. What are your suggestions?

My father in law, Arthur, is a very wonderful man. It’s almost as if he has adopted me. I grew up not having a good father figure. I have been so blessed to find a good man in my husband. I can see why my husband is so caring and loving, because his Dad raised him to be. Then somewhere in my late late teens, my birth father started being in my life…so now at 27 I have 3 wonderful men, who would do anything to make me happy…I have never felt luckier than I did knowing what Arthur did to get a hold of a famous artist for me. I never would have dreamed to bother the actual artist about a piece lol.

Warms husky howls to you,
                  Rachel

Riversgrace
                  Participant

For anyone wanting to give me ideas…lol I could us them for doing things right since I have never done this stuff before, I want to list what I bought and get feed back from the list…

Colors:

Ceramcoat 2oz fluid bottle:
                    Chocolate Cherry
                    Tropic Bay Blue
                    Metallic Bronze
                    Coral
                    Lavender
                    Metallic Copper

Golden:

1oz bottles:
                    Titan Buff
                    Burnt Sienna

2oz Heavy Body Metal Tubes:
                    C.P. Cadmium Orange
                    Alizarin Crimson Hue
                    Iridescent Pearl (Fine)
                    Interference Gold (Fine)
                    Iridescent Gold (Fine)
                    Interference Blue (Fine)
                    Titanium White
                    Quinacridone Magenta
                    Phthalo Blue (Green Shade)
                    Phthalo Green (Blue Shade)
                    Hansa Yellow Medium
                    Carbon Black

Liquitex:

2 oz Heavy Body Plastic Tube:
                    Cadmium Yellow Medium Hue

Other Stuff I bought:

2 of each type of brushes from Simply Simmons

Golden Retarder

Golden Acrylic Glazing Liquid (Gloss) which I was told to use this as the thinner?

Golden Heavy Gel Gloss (what is this for lol)

Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Coat in a Spray Can

Deco Art Staining Antiquing Medium

Questions I have:

Can I mix Ceramcoat with Golden? Or Liquitex with Golden?

Did I get the right thinner?

What is the heavy gel used for?

Did I get a proper clear coat brand?

What is the difference between the heavy body and bottled paints?

Please Help a Noob! lol

Riversgrace
                    Participant

Here is a picture of Tundra

Grr can’t get it to work πŸ™

Stephanie
                      Participant

Here is a picture of Tundra

Grr can’t get it to work πŸ™

When I tried to see it, it took me to Facebook and said the link was either broken or I didn’t have permission to view it. Do you have a photobucket account or somewhere else you could post it?

If not, you could email it to me and I’d be happy to post it for you. πŸ™‚ ssedan (at) gmail (dot) com

Riversgrace
                        Participant

Thank you I will email it! It is not letting me use my facebook to do it πŸ™ ggrrr lol.

Stephanie
                          Participant

If you get a Photobucket account it’s easy. πŸ™‚ But I use my own website for it.

She’s absolutely beautiful, Riversgrace.

Riversgrace
                            Participant

I will so look into that! Thank you so so so much for posting them for me! <3

Stephanie
                              Participant

You’re very welcome! <3

Grayfire_artz
                                Participant

i would start with a light grey base then dry brushing white over all of the fur after that lightly dry brushing the red tones for the marking going over in layers until you reach the red you want.

she was so beautiful, i’m sorry for your loss.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.