fbpx

Trying not to be too nervous….

Home Forums Miscellany Community Trying not to be too nervous….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Azurielle
    Participant

But my son is having surgery on monday. Just tonsils and adenoids removed…but still. The one down side to being in the medical field is that you know just what goes on in surgeries aaannnddd all the risks that get downplayed. I know that the surgeon operating on my son is great, and 99% of people don’t have any problems with tonsils removed…but still…my son is only 3 1/2…and there’s a risk any time anyone goes under anesthia…and the worst is that I can;t even think of a way to explain to him what’s going to happen. I almost wish we could’ve waited until he was older so at least he could understand. sigh. Think good thoughts for us on monday?

Keeper of the Fledgings

etruscan
      Participant

Good thoughts being sent. My son had oral surgery at that age and acted like he barely noticed it. I expect that your son will recover quickly – it will probably be harder on you than it is on him!

Amy
        Participant

My thoughts will definitely be with you and your son. 🙂

I assume you are having his tonsils out because he gets tonsillitis a lot?

Perhaps you could tell him that the doctor is going to take some little things out of his throat that make his throat hurt, and afterwords his throat won’t hurt anymore?

Laurie
          Participant

I was petrified when I had to do the anesthia thing for my gallbladder. But what was so funny was I was talking to the assistants and the next thing I knew I was waking up and my hubby was there. He’ll be fine. 😉 I’ll say a prayer. 😉

LadyFirebird
            Participant

I understand your fears and yes, things could go wrong. But your son is very young and they recover quickly. I had my T&A done when I was 13 and there was a little girl amongst us. She was up and walking around the next morning while I just lay there feeling miserable. The good thing I remembered was getting ice cream…..I’ll say a little prayer for him.

twindragonsmum
              Participant

When me boyohs had their tonsils and adnoids out the surgical center was great. The boyohs were given suckers to suck on that had a sedative in it and it was funny to see ’em “stoned”. When it was time to go to the O.R. the nurses tucked them into a radio flyer red wagon with their pillows, blankie and favorite stuffed animals that came from home. So no big scary gurney that takes you away from mum and dad, just a fun “tour” of the surgical center. We were allowed to go with ’em to the door of the O.R. but they were so out of it by the time they got there that they were literally snoring before the staff got ’em on the table. Their blankies were with them during the whole proceedure. The other thing that helped was that the boyohs got to try on a surgical cap, a face mask, scrubs etc. and they got to “operate” on a cloth doll using felt tipped pens and got to put band-aids on the dolls boo-boos. All in all it was a good experience and worked well to keep the boyohs anxiety controlled. Prayers and crossed fingers for you Azurielle. I’m sure your little guy will come through with flying colors! Now, if they only gave those lollipops to the mums and dads for THEIR anxiety it would be all good!

twindragonsmum

tdm

Azurielle I feel for you and understand your fears totally. It is so hard to see your child go through anything scary and especially if they need surgery. My baby had first little operation at 1 week old and had his major surgery at 3 months. I was so terrified to death and in the end…..he came home completely unfazed and you would never even know that he has his organs put back into his body!! It was so crazy and amazing and I was so incredibly relieved to see that he really never noticed anything at all. I thought he would be in so much pain and……nothing!! 🙂 Your son will be OK and my thoughts will be with you and him tomorrow!!!

Tethra
                Participant

My thoughts and wishes are with you and your little boy Azurielle. I’m sure he will be back and causing mischief in no time!

Bodine
                  Participant

Prayers and good thoughts 😉

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                    (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                    Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Stephanie
                    Participant

*hugs!* Prayers and good thoughts!

Azurielle
                      Participant

Thanks everyone! We’re home. Our surgeon said everything went textbook perfect. He apparently had 2 monster sized tonsils which were causing him to have sleep apnea. But letting him go into the OR with the doctor and the nurse was really hard! He’s ok, but was really upset when he came out of the anesthia. Now he’s abit loopy and sleepy from the meds. But we’re home, watching Nemo. Hopefully he’ll be feeling better in a few more days. Thanks for the support!

Keeper of the Fledgings

Misty
                        Participant

Glad everything went well! I about had kittens when my kiddo had to have eye surgery when she was two.

HUGS

Kiya
                          Participant

So glad to hear it all went well!

Yeah so glad all is well and your son got through A OK. 🙂

Azurielle
                            Participant

So small update…my son made it through the surgery ok, but he is not getting better. This is definetly one of the hardest weeks of my life, and I swear I’ve done nothing but cry for days now. He doesn;t want to eat anything. Literally nothing. Not his favorite foods. Nothing. So every meal is 30mins-1 hour of him crying hysterically, us pleaded with him to eat, and then feeling like monsters beecause we have to bully him into every single bite or anything. He’s listless, and just wants to sit on my chair and do nothing. He doesn;t want to go outside, or play. And if we try to confront him, he just cries and asks to “go to bed” or “wants to go home.” He is at home! It’s been 7 days, and I feel like he’s not even my kid any more. I can’t make him laugh or smile. I keep thinking it’s maybe the pain meds the surgeon has him on. I want to to stop them, but afraid he’ll be in pain if I do. And naturally it’s easter week-end. All the doctor offices are closed. The few times we’ve called their nurses lines, they basically just said keep making him drink and eat. He’ll be fine in another day or two. I feel like I should just take him to the ER, but what would I say? My son is not acting like himself? Yeah. What are they going to do for that? We’ve keep him hydrated, at least, since he is still able to cry tears…but he hasn;t gone #2 in 7 days! Probably because he won;t eat more than a bite or two of anything. What kid refuses everything?! I feel so sick…like we never should have done the surgery…like the surgeon took my kid away and give me this one. I’m just at a loss. And husband and I are miserable anyhow, since it’s the one year anniversary of my husband’s families death. sorry. I just don;t have anyone else to talk to, and at least most of you all are parents too…

Keeper of the Fledgings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.