fbpx

Special Items category in store.

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Special Items category in store.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    Bodine
    Participant

I’m still against bidding, there’s always someone with deeper pockets than most….I prefer BIN since I know I have it rather than worrying until it’s done to see if maybe I won….

The “bidding” system I am experimenting with will not be like real auction bidding. You would not be able to make an offer over the BIN price, and the item could be bought for the BIN price at any time. In other words, if the BIN price was $400, the maximum you could “bid” would be $399. But if you wanted it for the full $400, you could just add it to your cart and buy it. Ideally, the offer form would not be added for an item until the item had already been up for a few weeks with no buyers.

There’s the answer.I have read these and to me,I see that as perfect.At the BIN,it is yours that can afford that right then but at the offers,starting below the BIN,will also be at everyone’s advantage.For those not being able to afford the BIN price can actually get a VERY nice piece a little cheaper.One of Ms.Melody’s “special”pieces?Worth trying for one.Since it would not be topping the original BIN price it would be a deal for us and Windstone will still make a profit while keeping us crazy collectors happy.
      Win/Win.
      I do think a week on taking offers is a fair time span.Most of us pop in at least once a week as it is so that sounds reasonable to me.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
      Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

John
      Keymaster

*facedesk* .. I never thought I’d miss ebay, but is there a chance some nice pegs will make it to ebay? I held out on store Buckskins to get a shot at the nice ones.. but I can’t even fathom justifying $400 for a peg. At least on ebay I have a chance…

I won’t say the rest of what I’m thinking cause I’ll get jumped by the throng of diehard fans.. but as a customer, I don’t like the new special items feature, not in the slightest. I can ignore it if some of the nice things Melody does makes it to ebay though.. some ppl have the money to toss $400 at a peg.. I don’t. I don’t want to hear the lecture of ‘luxury items’ either when I’m willing to pay $250 for a nice piece, cause in reality, that is NOT being cheap.

As I tried before to explain, the special piece category is not intended to replace eBay and we will continue the eBay auction as usual. The intended purpose of the new category is to make things available to those who do not like auctions and who do not buy on eBay, and to show off extra special pieces. As we get used to this new area of the store and get it properly stocked you will find items for sale that almost nobody can afford, and other things that are closer to the more normal range of eBay prices. We are still thinking this through but I have a feeling that, as time goes by, more of the pieces that Melody paints will end up here rather than eBay. She needs time to sculpt new work and not be worked to death trying to cover both bases. We have made our best effort to keep Melody’s personal work available to all and maybe, if someone else can paint the grab-bags (we have an artist intraining for this), she will be able to keep ebay supplied for a while.

I don’t want to see everything we list in the special items category vanish within hours, I want some amount of special pieces to always be in the store and available to those who prefer to shop this way. I don’t like the idea of raising the prices to outlandish levels just to keep the category stocked, but that may be what needs to happen!

As to the question of profitability, it is true that everyone working here is underpaid, and we have personally covered the business losses for the last seven or eight years. The real estate bubble and other business related costs at the start of the recession, and then the lack of customers with disposable income, has put most of our wholesale customers out of business. As a result, we have had to reinvent the business with an emphasis on retailing, and that has been an excruciatingly difficult and costly process. I think that we are slowly turning the corner, but we still have a long way to go.

I also have to express here how grateful we are for the following and support that has been created on this forum. Without you guys we would have no reason to continue the struggle to exist in this economy. But, as we fight the battle to create better efficiency in the factory and resolve issues with material quality and the like, we also need to grow the sales. We need to reach more collectors and we need to broaden the product range and price structure to include a higher value line of Melody’s work. We do not intend to neglect the usual offerings. The normal product line will continue to build with the addition of pieces like the new little dragon that Melody has posted.

If anyone wants an in-depth rant, as I see it, about the struggles faced by small businesses such as ours let me know and maybe I will start a thread or add to the blog. These are interesting times and unlike any others in the forty-two years that I have had a business to run.

Falcolf
        Participant

*facedesk* .. I never thought I’d miss ebay, but is there a chance some nice pegs will make it to ebay? I held out on store Buckskins to get a shot at the nice ones.. but I can’t even fathom justifying $400 for a peg. At least on ebay I have a chance…

I won’t say the rest of what I’m thinking cause I’ll get jumped by the throng of diehard fans.. but as a customer, I don’t like the new special items feature, not in the slightest. I can ignore it if some of the nice things Melody does makes it to ebay though.. some ppl have the money to toss $400 at a peg.. I don’t. I don’t want to hear the lecture of ‘luxury items’ either when I’m willing to pay $250 for a nice piece, cause in reality, that is NOT being cheap.

As I tried before to explain, the special piece category is not intended to replace eBay and we will continue the eBay auction as usual. The intended purpose of the new category is to make things available to those who do not like auctions and who do not buy on eBay, and to show off extra special pieces. As we get used to this new area of the store and get it properly stocked you will find items for sale that almost nobody can afford, and other things that are closer to the more normal range of eBay prices. We are still thinking this through but I have a feeling that, as time goes by, more of the pieces that Melody paints will end up here rather than eBay. She needs time to sculpt new work and not be worked to death trying to cover both bases. We have made our best effort to keep Melody’s personal work available to all and maybe, if someone else can paint the grab-bags (we have an artist intraining for this), she will be able to keep ebay supplied for a while.

I don’t want to see everything we list in the special items category vanish within hours, I want some amount of special pieces to always be in the store and available to those who prefer to shop this way. I don’t like the idea of raising the prices to outlandish levels just to keep the category stocked, but that may be what needs to happen!

As to the question of profitability, it is true that everyone working here is underpaid, and we have personally covered the business losses for the last seven or eight years. The real estate bubble and other business related costs at the start of the recession, and then the lack of customers with disposable income, has put most of our wholesale customers out of business. As a result, we have had to reinvent the business with an emphasis on retailing, and that has been an excruciatingly difficult and costly process. I think that we are slowly turning the corner, but we still have a long way to go.

I also have to express here how grateful we are for the following and support that has been created on this forum. Without you guys we would have no reason to continue the struggle to exist in this economy. But, as we fight the battle to create better efficiency in the factory and resolve issues with material quality and the like, we also need to grow the sales. We need to reach more collectors and we need to broaden the product range and price structure to include a higher value line of Melody’s work. We do not intend to neglect the usual offerings. The normal product line will continue to build with the addition of pieces like the new little dragon that Melody has posted.

If anyone wants an in-depth rant, as I see it, about the struggles faced by small businesses such as ours let me know and maybe I will start a thread or add to the blog. These are interesting times and unlike any others in the forty-two years that I have had a business to run.

Thank you soo much for continuing to fight for Windstone! The world would be a poorer place without you guys!

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Ann

I don’t think KP is trying to cut into windstone profits, she is frustrated that pegs were going to eBay, she held out on buying items to save up for the typical eBay price, and now she is bummed that the pegs will not be hitting eBay.

KP and I joined the forum around the same time, and I know that I didn’t realize that you were making so little off the eBay items. So please don’t be mad at her for wanting something when we didn’t know how much it was hurting the company.

Jennifer
            Keymaster

I don’t think KP is trying to cut into windstone profits, she is frustrated that pegs were going to eBay, she held out on buying items to save up for the typical eBay price, and now she is bummed that the pegs will not be hitting eBay.

KP and I joined the forum around the same time, and I know that I didn’t realize that you were making so little off the eBay items. So please don’t be mad at her for wanting something when we didn’t know how much it was hurting the company.

I’m not at all mad! I sympathize. 🙂 Were those pegasuses (pegasi?) on the eBay Cart photos or, how did you know they were going to eBay? I can absolutely understand your frustration if it seemed like a sure thing they’d go to eBay.

One of the huge concerns about showing photos of the “eBay cart” we had (and one reason it didn’t happen for so many years) is that sometimes stuff gets taken OFF the cart for whatever reason… Windstone keeps some stuff, a flaw is found, a piece gets misplaced, something gets gifted to someone, something gets dropped, or ideas change. I don’t want the eBay cart photos to get discontinued, but maybe they need to be posted with a big disclaimer that the destiny of the pieces you see is NOT a sure thing… (eek)

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

Kiya
              Participant

I’m not at all mad! I sympathize. 🙂 Were those pegasuses (pegasi?) on the eBay Cart photos or, how did you know they were going to eBay? I can absolutely understand your frustration if it seemed like a sure thing they’d go to eBay.

One of the huge concerns about showing photos of the “eBay cart” we had (and one reason it didn’t happen for so many years) is that sometimes stuff gets taken OFF the cart for whatever reason… Windstone keeps some stuff, a flaw is found, a piece gets misplaced, something gets gifted to someone, something gets dropped, or ideas change. I don’t want the eBay cart photos to get discontinued, but maybe they need to be posted with a big disclaimer that the destiny of the pieces you see is NOT a sure thing… (eek)

Hey Jennifer,

These weren’t in the eBay cart photos – they were some “behind the scenes” photos I posted on Facebook. I did note that I wasn’t sure where they were bound, but since the photos were posted prior to the new store area being implemented, I can understand why the assumption would be that it was either “eBay” or “camping” for those guys. 🙂

Pam

No one is mad! 🙂

Just an fyi though, Melody does want to paint more of the limited production version buckskin and palomino pegasi for the store. So if you want those colors there is a good chance you will be seeing them again.

WolfenMachine
                  Participant

The way I look at it is this: when I see a piece I like, in my head, Ive placed a value on it-how much I’d be willing to spend on it-regardless of if I have that much cash avaliable or not. In the instance of ebay, I might see something I just LOVE LOVE LOVE and think “I WOULD pay $600 for that…” and if I happen to have the $600 or have things I can sell quickly to get it, I’ll bid UP to that amount and just hope that the bidding doesn’t go that high. Sometimes a particular thing goes higher than the value I myself have placed on it. When that happens, and its something I absolutely LOVE, yes, I’m sad, but I feel better 1-knowing Windstone made lots of money (didnt say profit, but money) and 2-well shoot, I wouldn’t pay the ending price, even if I did have that much to spend on it.

SO-the stuff in the store, for me personally, is too high because I’m not in absolute love with anything Ive seen in the store so far-the buckskin orangey mother peg was gorgeous, but even if I was a millionaire, shes not worth $400 TO ME-but she was to someone else and it worked out. 🙂 I view the special store items like ebay pieces that went too far out of my price range-they’re pretty, I’m glad they exist, but I’ll let them go.

I know not everyone thinks like this, but I’m not a millionaire, and honestly, there are some sculpts and colors I don’t like, and some I do that go too high in price-so this way of thinking brings me peace when I can’t get something I want. Either 1-I tried and gave it my best shot but someone wanted it more or 2-only liked it a little, didn’t try for it, and someone else who LOVED it got to own it.

Edit: I hope that makes sense. Ive realized lately I have a hard time communicating what’s in my head lol

etruscan
                    Participant

Like Wolfen, if there is an ebay piece that I want I will set a maximum price and bid to that amount. I usually set a snipe when I see the piece but sometimes bid in person. Often the ebay pieces I win are for less than I was willing to pay.

If the ebay pieces in general have not been bringing a price that justifies the time and labor required to create and list them, why is Windstone still starting ebay bids at 0.99 instead of the minimum price you hope to get?
                      *** ducks tomatoes and other thrown objects ***

Jennifer
                      Keymaster

If the ebay pieces in general have not been bringing a price that justifies the time and labor required to create and list them, why is Windstone still starting ebay bids at 0.99 instead of the minimum price you hope to get?

I gotta say, I am actually curious about this too. I know why it was done initially, and for good reason!.. but am not sure why it continues (other than it would create some outcry amongst collectors!). I respect if the reasoning is sensitive matter though and won’t pry if that is the case! It may be something obvious that I’m just missing ’cause I’m slow like that. 😉

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                        My art: featherdust.com

Kiya
                        Participant

I gotta say, I am actually curious about this too. I know why it was done initially, and for good reason!.. but am not sure why it continues (other than it would create some outcry amongst collectors!). I respect if the reasoning is sensitive matter though and won’t pry if that is the case! It may be something obvious that I’m just missing ’cause I’m slow like that. 😉

I have wondered that also. However, I have noticed on ebay that often something will sell for MORE (or at least get bids) if it’s started low and allowed to go up in price on its own.

For example, there was a Triceratops on ebay recently that was posted at a $125 starting price. No one bid. It was reposted at $0.99 and ended up selling for $167. So the buyer got NO bids when asking their minimum desired price, but allowing for bidders to compete they got a higher price than they’d asked for previously.

No idea if this is part of the motive! Just an interesting bit of ebay psychology.

There is also the fact that by starting at $0.99 everything sells. Sometimes selling a product for less than you want is better than holding onto the product and not getting ANY money for it.

siberakh1
                          Participant

I do see that a lot. If an item has a low starting price, it seems to go higher than if someone just put a minimum on it. That’s why I’ve never wondered about the low starting bid.

John
                            Keymaster

Like Wolfen, if there is an ebay piece that I want I will set a maximum price and bid to that amount. I usually set a snipe when I see the piece but sometimes bid in person. Often the ebay pieces I win are for less than I was willing to pay.

Hey, we have to have some fun too. Kind of like gambling but, If something sells high we are happy, and if we should lose, someone will get a bargain and that also makes us happy. Don’t you think that should happen once in a while? And, no, nobody has ever have accused us of running a predictable or rational business here.

yolanda
                              Participant

Theres an aweful lot of the mother pegasus . Will we eventually see more of a variety ??
                                I would like to see some baby pegasus but at the same time I am more into the fantasy colorings and it looks like more of the natural colors are being experimented with for now.
                                All in all i think its a great idea . Ebay is good too but sometimes theres a piece you want right now or will be gone on a day an ebay item is ending and here its a chance of whatever is being put in the store. I thinks its a creative and fun idea.
                                For me there have been SOOOOO many pieces I have wanted on Ebay. Sometimes you know you wont be able to afford them or you forget when they end or whatever the case may be ……..but all in all I dont think there is a single person out there that can get every piece they have wanted . This new catagory is like christmas to me. lol. You never know what you will find and one day you will go looking and low and behold find and awesome dream piece within your budget and its available. Just fun fun fun.

Kiya
                                Participant

I have a functionality question! 🙂

Drupal may not allow this, but you were able to get rid of the notify button for the special store, so maybe this is possible. 🙂

Is there any way to change the message on the sold pieces to read “SOLD” versus “OUT OF STOCK”?

I think this would be clearer to new site visitors who haven’t read the forum. “OUT OF STOCK” implies there might be more, but as these are unique pieces, that just isn’t true. 🙂

If it can’t be done, no worries. Just throwing it out there! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 170 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.