fbpx

Simple and Complex Partial Seizures

Home Forums Miscellany Community Simple and Complex Partial Seizures

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

So, I had an ëvent at work that I cannot remember, but I heard today from my aquatic thereipist that it follows a list of some types of seizures. I was sent home, and have been weak and feeble all day, sleeping most of it. I got on to do some research, and found this:

People who have simple partial seizures do not lose consciousness. However, movement, emotions, sensations and feelings can be affected.
    However, some people, although fully aware of what’s going on, find they can’t speak or move until the seizure is over. They remain awake and aware throughout. Sometimes they can talk quite normally to other people during the seizure. And they can usually remember exactly what happened to them while it was going on. However, simple partial seizures can affect movement, emotion, sensations and feelings in unusual and sometimes even frightening ways.
    simplepartialFigure at left: A simple partial seizure with motor symptoms. Here the neuronal discharge begins in the motor strip in the right hemisphere of the brain, affecting first one muscle then another on the left side of the body as it spreads. In (a) first the fingers then the hand and arm are jerking. In (b) it has spread to the upper shoulder. In (c) the woman’s head is drawn towards her shoulder. In (d) the leg is drawn up. The woman remains conscious but unable to prevent her muscles’ response to the excessive stimulation they are receiving from her brain.

Movement: Uncontrolled movements can occur in just about any part of the body. Eyes may move from side to side; there may be blinking, unusual movements of the tongue, or twitching of the face.

Some simple partial seizures start out with shaking of a hand or foot which then spreads to involve an arm or a leg or even one whole side of the body.

Emotions: A sudden feeling of fear or a sense that something terrible is about to happen may be caused by a simple partial seizure in the part of the brain which controls those emotions.

In rare cases, partial seizures can produce feelings of anger and rage, or even sudden joy and happiness.

Sensations: All five senses—touch, hearing, taste, smell and sight—are controlled by various areas of the brain. Remember that an episodic feeling of fear or other feelings is usually not caused by a seizure.

Simple partial seizures in these areas can produce odd sensations such as a sense of a breeze on the skin; unusual hissing, buzzing or ringing sounds; voices that are not really there; unpleasant tastes; strange smells (also usually unpleasant); and, perhaps most upsetting of all, distortions in the way things look.

For example, a room may suddenly seem narrower or wider than it really is. Objects may seem to move closer or get farther away. Part of the body may appear to change in size or shape.

If the area of the brain involved with memory is affected, there may be disturbing visions of people and places from the past.

Sudden nausea or an odd, rising feeling in the stomach is quite common. Stomach pain also may, in some cases, be caused by simple partial seizures.

Episodes of sudden sweating, flushing, becoming pale or having the sensation of goosebumps are also possible.

Some people even report having out of body experiences during this type of seizure. Time may seem distorted as well.

In many ways, our usual, comfortable sense of familiar things and places may be disrupted by a simple partial seizure.

Well-known places may suddenly look unfamiliar. On the other hand, new places and events may seem familiar or as if they’ve happened before, a feeling called déjà vu.

Simple partial seizures can also produce sudden, uncontrolled bursts of laughter or crying.

End of qoute: here is the pic it talks of above.

I have heard my boss, a coworker and a close friend who came to get me explain what they saw, and it almost follow this word for word with some things from the page on complex partial seizures. Has any one dealt with things like this before? I see a neurologist next wed about an EEG, and this seems to very well explain many,many events and blackouts in the past couple of years, and maybe before my concussion. Here is the link..I guess i just needed somewhere to talk.

I was told I was acting very drunk like after the muscles finally loosened up, and that i went through many bouts of laughing maniacally and crying, with no explanation, and was in and out of consciousness.

And i’m pretty scared.

Simple Partial Seizures
    http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/aboutepilepsy/seizures/partialseizures/simplepartial/index.cfm

Complex Simple Seizures
    http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/aboutepilepsy/seizures/partialseizures/complexpartial/index.cfm

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
    www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
    Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Pegasi1978
    Participant

Has epilepsy been ruled out previously or is that part of what the visit with the neurologist and EEG are for?

My father had epilepsy that was medically controlled. He did try weaning off medicine at one time, but had to go back on his medicine and he was on it until the day he died. I can’t remember what type seizures his were. I only remember him having one. He had gotten sick and threw up so the levels of his medicine got out of whack causing him to have a seizure. I wasn’t home when it happened, but I came home while he was recovering. He was still slightly disoriented. It was a bit strange for me to see him like that.

No, epilepsy has not been ruled out. That’s what the EEG is for and after that an EMG was suggested. That is a test were they shock your nerves with small pulses of electricity to check their responsiveness in the nerves as well as the pain center, etc in the brain.

I’m very tired today, scared, and have been being watched over all day by a friend and a coworker. Walking to my mailbox was exhausting in itself. Just one day at a time, i guess. This is similar to what happened in September, but lasted much longer, and my episodes are getting closer together. thanks for reading i guess.

Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Falcolf
      Participant

I hope the doctor can figure out what is causing these and prescribe a treatment! 🙁 Feel better soon!

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

dragonmedley
        Participant

Printout everything you wrote and bring it with you to the neurologist. If your friends and coworkers don’t mind, ask them to write a report of what they saw; it’ll help the doctor. Reporting your own symptoms and having a report of a third party can be really useful.

So in the meantime, take it easy; whether it’s epilepsy or seizures or whatever, it’s a huge strain on the body. I’m really glad you have help with you.

Big, healing hugs your way!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Ela_Hara
          Participant

Good Luck with everything… feeling ‘disjointed’ can be very worrisome but try to keep upbeat. I’m sure they will find the root of the problem. Perhaps it’s a hormone-balance thing and not a physical issue causing it that can be easily controled.

Rest up and feel better, we’re with you!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
            Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
            Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
            *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

rock-reader
            Participant

Hang in there and take it easy this weekend and try not to worry. Stress has got to be unhealthy for you. At least now the problem is out in the open (you mentioned elsewhere that you’ve had other episodes) and with the eye witnesses maybe a diagnosis can be made.
              You have to know we are all here for you and pulling for you. I’m sending you healing vibes right now; you can feel it better if you are near a Windstone (windstones are great for this sort of thing)

Good luck!

ugh the fever and red face are back, bout 100*

Lokie
              Participant

I’m sorry I don’t have much to offer in knowledge or advice in this matter. I second bringing something written with you that outlines what did, and has happened to you in the past, to the smallest details, as it’s easy to get overwhelmed at the doctors and not say everything you want or need to say. Please keep us updated.

hazd anoter seezurr today.. againss. but ih.. i wss in the hozspitalzjj aginn

Heather
                Participant

ugh the fever and red face are back, bout 100*

Fever, too? Fever may be a clue to what’s going on. Infection in certain parts of the body can cause seizures. High fever itself can trigger a seizure. A partial seizure generally doesn’t cause fever by itself, so the fact that you’ve got a fever could be a hint that infection is involved.

There may also be a link with the event that led to the concussion you mentioned: when the brain heals from a blow to the head, sometimes things get a little “tangled” and nerves can end up losing some of their insulation. A seizure is very like a short circuit, where electrical current hops from one nerve to its neighbors, just like electricity can hop from a wire where the insulation has gotten damaged, and run into something nearby. What happens during the seizure totally depends on which nerves get caught up in the reaction: a partial only affects some nerves, while a general seizure affects them all.

I think it’s a very good thing that your doctor is planning to have some scans done. That stands a good chance of being able to tell where the problem is, and maybe even what is causing it. But don’t forget to also make sure the doctor knows as much as possible about your history. Important events that might give clues to an answer would include: past injuries to the head or neck, past events of high fever, unexplained spells of illness, prior infections that got into the bloodstream (like malaria) or the spinal cord (like meningitis), or even “silver amalgam” fillings in your teeth. Also, see if your co-workers will write out statements of what they saw. It doesn’t matter if none of them are trained medics: sometimes it’s what the untrained person observes that is most important, because they’re not biased to look for anything in particular.

Sometimes the strangest things can cause a seizure. My dad had seizures which were brought on by high mercury levels in his blood. It turned out his “silver amalgam” fillings, which he had had for years with no problem, had started leaking mercury and he was absorbing it. The giveaway was when his doctor ran heavy metal testing on a blood sample, and it came back positive for mercury.

Hang in there. Make sure you’ve got someone you can call for help at any hour, and try to stay calm. I know, this stuff is really scary. Just keep your support lines open, and don’t be afraid to call for help if you start feeling worse. The doctor is going to do everything he or she can to figure this out, and get you well again. Hugs!

Kim
                  Blocked

Sorry to hear about this and I hope you find out what is causing all this so you can get better!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Mary
                    Participant

Allie had a seizure rigth after she did that but is doing ok.

hazd anoter seezurr today.. againss. but ih.. i wss in the hozspitalzjj aginn

So I was informed later last night that I had posted some funky stuff on Windstone and Facebook about an hour prior to my having my second and maybe third, (not sure, I was alone for about 1 1/2 hours and can only remember the last one perfectly) seizure of the day and I think I tried to send a couple emails. I had been in the hospital that morning. I had passed out after getting out of the pool at aquatic therapy, and then started having a seizure while slipping in and out of consciousness. Last time I was in the hospital, they said I had had a panic attack, and so they “created” this history that I supposedly am prone to panic attacks, so they released me saying I had a self induced pseudo-seizure due to a panic attack, after refusing to talk to the nurse and physical therapist at the other center. I also had one on Sunday night, aside of last Wednesday.

Conscious seizures are so weird. It’s like even our thinking slows down, so time gets warped. You can hear everything, but you can’t respond or move. You just lie there and shake unable to even move your eyes much, and then you start to lose consciousness it is just as if everything is just starting to fade away, as if it never existed. Then only the slight feeling of the shaking is still there until that too fades away…and then you wake up later. You can’t move, and your scared and unsure if everything will just “disappear” again.. you test your muscles, try to flex toes, and fingers, and even lifting one hand become the most difficult thing you could have ever tried to do, as feeling slowly creeps back into your limbs and body..

I see the neurologist tomorrow.

Anyways, sorry about the weird post. I wasn’t functioning so well.

dragonmedley
                      Participant

I’m glad you’re doing better. Do let us know, ‘kay? Even if it’s through weird posts 🙂

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.