fbpx

Silver PYO for sale

Home Forums Administration Flea Market Silver PYO for sale

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    dragonmedley
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m letting go of my silver PYO dragon. I wanted to know if anyone here was interested before I put it up on Ebay. If you are, PM me your offer.

http://www.windstoneeditions.com/galleries/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10015&pos=0

Thanks!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

dragonmedley
      Participant

Tiffany
        Participant

per the hoop-de-doo with that person copying the black emppea paint job…. (its on the” whats in a name” entry in ask melody )…john stated that the gold accenting, like wingwebs, toenails, scaletips and dotting are signature markings of theirs and peeps are discouraged from painting them that way, most importantly for selling purposes. that could be a problem with this guy, but you maybe should ask. i had it on my silver dragon i was painting for ebay too and i am working on it right now to change the accent points to another color that still works. 😛 just figged i’d mention it since its a real current issue. good luck!

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

Is it only me, or is the gold accent thing kind of crossing the line a little? I mean, it’s not really copying Melody if we have gold toemails and gold spines down the back. It’s a very common idea. If it didn’t clearly have sculpted markings down the back for the accents then I’d understand. (Like the Male and Mother dragons have smooth ridges with the gold accent with paint on them) I mean, they’re all accent points that are carved in and begging to some kind of highlight. What other color would you really do them besides gold or silver? This would mean half of the gallery images are infringing on copyright, right?

Got a busted Windstone?
            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
            Tattoo Mother Kirin
            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

dragonmedley
            Participant

I had emailed John about this, but he never got back to me. Heck, if getting money is a problem, I’ll trade!

drag0nfeathers
              Participant

Well, if it WAS on any kind of infrigement of copyright I would say it would be because of the similarity of the Silver Old Warrior and not because of the gold accents.

Got a busted Windstone?
                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                Calypso Hatching Empress
                Tattoo Mother Kirin

Tiffany
                Participant

very true, those little details are screaming to be painting something flashy like silver or gold- exactly, what else would u put there? black? depending on the paint color, but naturally u want to throw a little glitz on there! i just mentioned it cuz he mentioned it. i love the gold on those points, its often perfect, but we’ll see what comes of all of it. i agree dragon, gold there IS a very common idea to put on the points, at least for toenails and horns!

Jodi
                  Participant

Ooo, black would be interesting. Especially if it was very contrasting.

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

tfsculptures wrote:

very true, those little details are screaming to be painting something flashy like silver or gold- exactly, what else would u put there? black? depending on the paint color, but naturally u want to throw a little glitz on there! i just mentioned it cuz he mentioned it. i love the gold on those points, its often perfect, but we’ll see what comes of all of it. i agree dragon, gold there IS a very common idea to put on the points, at least for toenails and horns!

I would competely say, it’s wrong and it’s copyright infringement if the points weren’t there and the gold was just painted on a flat surface, but like you said. The little bumps beg for a little glitz. What better then gold? I know some other colors may look cool depending on the paint job, but saying you cann’t paint thses certain areas (wingwebs, spines, etc.) gold is a bit overboard I think. I whole hartedly think copying Mel’s paint schemes is totally unprofessional if you were to do it for the purpose resell them I agree so don’t get me wrong. I don’t want to benefit from someone else idea, but the accenting thing is a little hard for me to swallow. I’m just saying. Maybe I’m out of line I guess????? I hope not though. I don’t want to cause any trouble over it.

Got a busted Windstone?
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

emerald212 wrote:

Ooo, black would be interesting. Especially if it was very contrasting.

I did the wingwebs black on my first dragon and it was pretty cool.

Got a busted Windstone?
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin

Participant

I can see why they said what they did about highlighting, but I agree it would be really limiting. I still can’t get over the gall of seller to use an established color scheme especaially with their Ebay name – very confusing.

Let’s face it, since most of Windstone’s color schemes use multiple colors (even the golds) you really have to go out of your way to copy them – especially they way they did. It’s really too bad it came to this. But I suppose, if there is money to be made someone was going to cross the line sooner or later.

This brings up a question I had but just haven’t gotten around to asking:

The one thing I haven’t seen brought up is the topic of alterations of the PYOs (like they do in model horses). I assume that this would be infringement on Windstone intellectual property, but since I see Breyer’s altered all the time on Ebay, would it be considered a form of expression and building upon an idea (not cashing in on it)? Ex: What if an artist wanted longer horns on a dragon or a bigger tale on a wolf?

dragonmedley
                          Participant

I seem to have opened up a can of worms here! The reason why I’m letting him go is because I want to do a silver with yellow eyes; no point in having 2 silvers, really.

Initially, the contrast between the two darker silvers was to sharp for me, so I added a thin coat of the lighter silver overall, hence, I think, the ressemblance with the Old Warrior. In truth, the mix I made was silver and green. He has none of the blue & purple overtones of the Old Warrior.

All this to say that if someone is indeed interested, but would rather he looked a little different, I can touch him up.

Whew!

Jennifer
                            Keymaster

SilverArrow wrote:

This brings up a question I had but just haven’t gotten around to asking:

The one thing I haven’t seen brought up is the topic of alterations of the PYOs (like they do in model horses). I assume that this would be infringement on Windstone intellectual property, but since I see Breyer’s altered all the time on Ebay, would it be considered a form of expression and building upon an idea (not cashing in on it)? Ex: What if an artist wanted longer horns on a dragon or a bigger tale on a wolf?

When I was first hired on with Windstone we discussed this at great length. Melody thought it was a great idea until we condsidered all the legal aspects of it and went over it with the lawyer. In the end we all agreed that it could cause more problems than it would be worth (I was going to write part of this into the tutorial but it was decided against) because of copyright and trade dress protections. It could cause Windstone a lot of problems because then they are deriviative works. It’s somewhat complicated and please do check with John for an official answer, but I know that even as a Windstone artist I am not allowed to do them and therefore I think that it is heavily advised against (if not totally prohibited). We agreed that the Breyer horses have a good thing going but in the end their products are horses whereas Windstones are very unique onto themselved and it would harm their protections.

Regarding the gold trim, I can’t give input. I think that in conjunction with Windstone-like colorations (even something that just resembles a factory paintjob) that is a big no-no, but otherwise John will have to answer that one.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                              My art: featherdust.com

Arlla
                              Participant

I have to agree with dragonfeathers on this one… it really seems rediculous to me to say that no one can use gold/silver accenting on their PYOs. Gold and silver are extrememly common decorations for dragons.

Plus, it’s kind of hard to not paint a Windstone at least THAT close to factory pieces when they are in fact Windstons and are carved with all the Windstone distinctive scales… I don’t know if that makes sense the way I tried to say it…

I am very interested to see what else the factory has to say about this.

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
                                -J R R Tolkien

lamortefille
                                Participant

Even though I am only attempting my first PYO, I would still like to comment on the gold/silver trim “ban”. I can see where Windstone is coming from with their copyright, but I don’t see too many PYO painting options without gold/silver trim. The figures seem to beg for that sort of trim. Perhaps they could change the molds a bit and add “PYO” on it somewhere? Maybe next to the copyright M Pena? I am painting mine for my own pleasure, but maybe it will end up as part of my estate sale somewhere down the line (rotten kids lol). Even if I sign the felt, it can be taken off. Perhaps something more permanent will help distinguish PYOs from regular production and give the very talented artists (and amateurs) more leeway.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.