fbpx

Sea Dragon, the repainted oriental sun

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Sea Dragon, the repainted oriental sun

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Demyx wrote:

I think they’ve mentioned that the ‘current’ oriental molds were too hard on the gypsum with all the holes and such (as compared to the rather solid poses the other dragons have). There’s talk about a future PYO, but I’m pretty sure all their remaining blank orientals were given test paints and are being auctioned.

Thats too bad. I love the Orientals. Particularly because my kids are all into Traditional Martial Arts.
    Also I have an Akita Chow dog so we’ve kinda slipped into the whole Oriental thing ๐Ÿ˜†

Lokie
    Participant

Very cool looking ๐Ÿ™‚ If you wouldn’t mind telling me (and PMing the answer just in case Windstone has a problem with it), what did you use to remove the paint?

Windswept
      Participant

I just used the Standard Tricks for removing acrylic, but I DO NOT recommend it. It’s extremely easy to wreck your dragon this way, as the gypsum will face severe stress and want to lose it’s toplayer very fast.

What are the standard tricks? I wasn’t aware there was any. I know how I have removed it in the past on a Pearl Griffon I repaired the paint on, boy oh boy was that royal pain, it would have been easier to strip the whole griffon and repaint him versus trying to clear a section and redo it, but I managed it.

From how you peeled it all off, your method doesn’t match mine.

Kyrin

Arlla
        Participant

Jennifer wrote:

To the best of my knowledge (and it is limited since I’m not at the factory itself) the remaining Sun dragons are being given different special paint jobs and are going on eBay. There may never be more after that, since as Demyx said the Suns are very hard on the molds and they are, politely, a P.I.T.A. to make.

I do not know if this applies to the entire oriental line or just the Suns.

That’s the story right now – the remaining sun dragons are getting special paint jobs. I’m trying very had to get some of them to be white. ๐Ÿ˜‰ We’ll see.

The mold department is going to give me a sun dragon mold to play with for however long casting is going to remain open – I’m hoping to practice demolding them (in hopes that I can do it more than once without ripping the mold) so that I can get the orientals on line again. Wish us luck, and we may see limited numbers of orientals in the future! ๐Ÿ˜‰ (no promises, though!)

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
          -J R R Tolkien

Rusti
          Participant

I’m over here rooting for you, Arlla.

Maria
            Participant

He looks nice, Demyx. Like Kyrin said, similar to hers – but considering you don’t intend to sell him, that shouldn’t be a problem.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.