fbpx

Saw a "shooting star"

Home Forums Miscellany Community Saw a "shooting star"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Pam

Actually, I’ve seen shooting stars before, and this wasn’t so much a shooting star as it was a huge flaming object hurtling through the sky at relatively the speed of light.. My b/f and I were taking a late night walk with the dogs when suddenly the entire valley was lit up by two bright flashes of light, exactly like what happens when lightning strikes. At the same time, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a huge red and white flaming object about the size of a full moon go shooting through the sky, “exploding” about three more times as it went, before going out. It all happened in about a split second, but it was really cool. For about 8 seconds after, there was a huge thick streak in the sky where the meteor (or whatever it was) had been. The dogs were not impressed.

Pam

Jodi
        Participant

That’s really cool. It probably was a meteor. You should go see if you can find it. Probably too hard now though. ๐Ÿ˜€

That is really cool. It sounded like a meteor to me as well. That would be nice to see one of these days.

Bob

When I go away to my weekend in August it’s always whne the Meteor showers are happening. They are neat

Nice. That is one thing I do miss about my Grandmas farm. You could see “shooting stars” all the time. I never see them in the city.

Elena
            Participant

Neat things about shooting stars, they only travel east-west. If you see one that travels north-south, it’s a satellite(military I believe)! Also if you see a “Star” that doesn’t twinkle in the sky, its a planet. Yay for a cool Astronomy prof!

Pam

Are you sure about the east to west thing? I’ve never heard that before. I couldn’t find anything online about it either. The big one I saw went west-east. There were a few little bits I ran across on the net where people described seeing meteors going west to east. I watched the Perseid meteor shower last month and they seemed to be going in no particular direction at all!

Megan
                Participant

Sounds awesome! I live in the country so luckily I get to see shooting stars from time to time, but I’ve never seen anything like that! You lucky thing, you.

Wow, cool. Why can’t I ever see anything like that? *flails* You’d think living so close to Roswell I’d at least see a UFO or two, but nooo. *snaps fingers* XD;

Wow, that’s exciting. I’ve never seen one that big, but I’ve heard of other people experiencing such things.

Maria
                  Participant

Neat! Pity you didn’t have a camera handy. ๐Ÿ˜†

Pam

It was so fast, it was over practically before I even knew what was happening! I think to get it on film I would had to of had a video camera recording and pointed right at that spot before it hit.

Elena
                      Participant

Pam Thompson wrote:

Are you sure about the east to west thing? I’ve never heard that before. I couldn’t find anything online about it either. The big one I saw went west-east. There were a few little bits I ran across on the net where people described seeing meteors going west to east. I watched the Perseid meteor shower last month and they seemed to be going in no particular direction at all!

That’s what my astronomy prof said, he works for NASA now. It has something to do with the way the earth spins and how gravity sucks them down. The Persieds (and Leonids) look like they are going everywhich way cause the Earth is literally plowing through the cloud of Space debris that makes them.

I love watching for meteor showers. Too bad the best imes are always in the wee hours of teh morning :?. Also love watching the northern lights, sometimes they are so bright we can even see them IN the city! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Pam

Well, the one I saw was most definately NOT going east to west ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.