fbpx

Posting icons swapping

Home Forums Miscellany Community Posting icons swapping

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Pegasi1978
    Participant

Is anyone else having a problem with the posting icons swapping from “New Posts” to “No New Posts” all the way across the board when you click on any topic.

In the last few days I’ll check the board and see lots of “New Posts” on topics so I’ll click a topic and read. Then when I go back to the category to select a new topic to follow all of the icons (even the ones I haven’t read) are marked “No New Posts”.

I do know about the link to “Mark all topics as read” but I have not clicked that in several days if not close to a week so I don’t see why it would still affect things.

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this lately or if it was just my computer going insane on me (I wouldn’t put it past it).

Pegasi1978
      Participant

SPark
        Participant

No problems for me, so it’s probably something on your end.

Participant

Yes, I’ve been having that problem intermittenly. Some days, no issue, but others I get it every 2nd or 3rd time I log on. I even check to make sure I didn’t get logged out by the system. It’s really odd. ๐Ÿ˜•

Pegasi1978
            Participant

I agree that it’s odd as well. I know I’m not getting logged out of the system because I’m lazy and have it set to keep me logged in unless I log out. Means I have one less password site to worry about and the only place I ever get on the forums is my home computer so I don’t have to worry about anyone getting on and posing as me.

I wonder if there is a way to fix it.

Maybe your cookies aren’t being saved properly when you visit or are expiring immediately?

Expiring cookies, OH NOES!! 0_0

Pegasi1978
              Participant

Except if the cookies were expiring wouldn’t that log me out of the site because I though cookies were what kept you logged in?

That’s probably true. I can’t think of another explanation though…. hmmmm…

Anonymous

I usually blame that problem on corrupt cookies, and it’s 9/10 IE’s fault. Sometimes the board cookie data is configured wrong, but I just checked it and it’s fine.

Also remember that sessions expire after an hour, and everything will be marked read at that point.

Also, if you are reading from work or a corporate LAN, you are probably coming through a proxy that has multiple IP addresses, and that can reset your sessions too.

Pegasi1978
                  Participant

Usually it happens immediatly when I get on and look at a topic. I only get online at home so a single IP.

I have to say it’s probably the first culprit you listed – IE. I was just curious if anyone else was having the same problem.

Anonymous

Boo IE. It probably thinks the posting cookie is a privacy invasion.

Maria
                      Participant

I always just click on “Read posts since last visit” and that’s easy and works fine.

Anonymous

Yes, it works great if your cookie doesn’t corrupt/disappear, otherwise you lose your session ID and the forum resets your last visit time.

Skigod377
                          Participant

Snapdragon wrote:

Also remember that sessions expire after an hour, and everything will be marked read at that point.

This is a good tidbit to know! Thanks ๐Ÿ˜€

Maria
                            Participant

Snapdragon wrote:

Yes, it works great if your cookie doesn’t corrupt/disappear, otherwise you lose your session ID and the forum resets your last visit time.

Haven’t had any problems so far. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.