fbpx

Poad eggs

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Poad eggs

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    Adaneth
    Participant

I was surprised to see a variety of eye colors on the Tadpoads. Are they born with their adult eye color, or does it change at some point as they grow? ๐Ÿ™‚

Melody
      Keymaster

Poads are born with the same basic color pallet they will always have. Eye color may darken a bit and and sparkle more in an older poad.

Melody
        Keymaster

:bigsmile: When tadpoads are newly hatched are they terribly cranky with more of a tendency to bite the hand that feeds them so to speak? And what is the best diet for tadpoads?

tdm

Since a baby poad is actually a mature soul that is now stuck in a slowly growing, immature body, they do get frustrated sometimes, so they may have short tempers. Yes they can bite pretty hard, but at this age the fangs aren’t developed.
          The larger poads feed them with regurgitated worm castles.

Melody
          Keymaster

The markings change gradually throughout the life of a poad. The eyespots morph into the adult pattern slowly over successive molts, so there isn’t a clear point when the eye spots disappear. Adult poads may retain their eyespots along with their more mature markings, or the eyespots may spread out so much they are unrecognizable as such.

twindragonsmum
            Participant

Do poads bond with their humans for life? If their human dies does the poad die also or does it return to the form it had before it entered an egg? If it decides to become a poad again for a different person do they remember their former human companion or are those memories lost or put aside in favor of creating new bonds and new memories with their new human?

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ™‚

tdm

Melody
              Keymaster

Do poads bond with their humans for life? If their human dies does the poad die also or does it return to the form it had before it entered an egg? If it decides to become a poad again for a different person do they remember their former human companion or are those memories lost or put aside in favor of creating new bonds and new memories with their new human?

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s complicated. The poad doesn’t die if it’s partner dies, and they don’t have to stay together always, but usually do if the pair work together well. Kade and Podge seem to be especially close.
                In this world both poads and people can live indefinitely unless they get actively killed by something.
                The people in this world (they aren’t humans , they are “Veligers”) and poads will both return to their vel state if they get killed. Vels retain memories and personality.

There is another, more serious form of death; when the vel gets extinguished. This is called “being taken out of the story”.

twindragonsmum
                Participant

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s complicated. The poad doesn’t die if it’s partner dies, and they don’t have to stay together always, but usually do if the pair work together well. Kade and Podge seem to be especially close.
                  In this world both poads and people can live indefinitely unless they get actively killed by something.
                  The people in this world (they aren’t humans , they are “Veligers”) and poads will both return to their vel state if they get killed. Vels retain memories and personality.

There is another, more serious form of death; when the vel gets extinguished. This is called “being taken out of the story”.

You know, the way you answer these questions just makes me more curious… And then I HAVE to ask the most obvious one first! What happens when a Vel is “taken out of the story”? Has this happened often or is it an occasional thing…

tdm

tdm

Melody
                  Keymaster

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ™‚

You know, the way you answer these questions just makes me more curious… And then I HAVE to ask the most obvious one first! What happens when a Vel is “taken out of the story”? Has this happened often or is it an occasional thing…

tdm

It has happened. It can happen again.
                    It means … well, you know how when a character gets killed in a story, they often turn out to not REALLY be dead, or they come back somehow?
                    When someone is “taken out of the story” the character is GONE. No longer exists and can’t ever come back.

twindragonsmum
                    Participant

Do they even know that they existed at one time or another? Do the other vels have any memory or knowledge of someone being “there” but now isn’t? For example, when me boyohs were very young they would ask questions about “those two other brothers; the ones that were there but now they’re not…” We had started the pregnancy with four babies, but I miscarried two very early on – so early that we didn’t even know what sex they might be and we had never told the boys about it. They were too young to understand. All we thought they knew about were each other; two brothers. We couldn’t for the longest time figure out what they were talking about. But they KNEW there had been “two other brothers” who were once with the boys where ever they were, but now, in the present “they weren’t there”, they no longer existed physically in the space (the now) that me boyohs exist/existed in.

tdm

tdm

Melody
                      Keymaster

Do they even know that they existed at one time or another? Do the other vels have any memory or knowledge of someone being “there” but now isn’t? For example, when me boyohs were very young they would ask questions about “those two other brothers; the ones that were there but now they’re not…” We had started the pregnancy with four babies, but I miscarried two very early on – so early that we didn’t even know what sex they might be and we had never told the boys about it. They were too young to understand. All we thought they knew about were each other; two brothers. We couldn’t for the longest time figure out what they were talking about. But they KNEW there had been “two other brothers” who were once with the boys where ever they were, but now, in the present “they weren’t there”, they no longer existed physically in the space (the now) that me boyohs exist/existed in.

tdm

My story is fantasy woo woo, but it is based roughly on human concepts of souls and an afterlife.

Anything with a vel is a Veliger. (There are other forms of Veligers that are not people or poads.)

Veligers are creatures that are structured sort of like trees… the bodies are visible, but the vels, like the roots, are the sustaining part that you don’t see.

Vels exist in another plane of existence, at the same time as the body in the world exists, and are always connected to it; they are therefore are accessible to a trained Veligent through the living body.
                        They are like big fiery jellyfish and are usually thought of as being “up” somewhere.
                        Vels are the personality. Sometimes they interact with each other. ( Poad vels are very playful).

I love that you ask these questions. I have all this stuff worked out as back-story, but I don’t know how to get it across in the comic without a huge page of wordy “‘splaination” , so I’ve been doling it out in bite-sized pieces (that probably get missed) throughout the story.

CHeMnICORn
                        Participant

They are definitely not missed! I live for those little bites! BTW thanks for letting me know that tadpoads make much smaller explosions than adults. Now I know why I keep hearing popcorn noises in my bedroom! XD

twindragonsmum
                          Participant

Now I know why I keep hearing popcorn noises in my bedroom! XD

*SNERK!* :bigsmile:

tdm

twindragonsmum
                            Participant

In an earlier post you mentioned that poads “molt”. Which brings me to my next question… when I examine my clutter they appear to have feathers around their heads and fur on the rest of their bodies – so, do they molt like birds or snakes or something else that we’re familiar with? (Well, obviously they molt like poads… *insert eye roll here* Does their fur shed in clumps like the velvet on elk horn and do they shed feathers like parakeets, cockatoos, etc. or does everything come off mostly in one piece like a snake? If it’s one piece like a snake, do you have any poad molts in your collection of neat stuff?

tdm ๐Ÿ˜€

tdm

Melody
                              Keymaster

Poads shed like a normal animal or bird. A little at a time.
                                Kirins however, shed like a snake, so I have had those skins around.I have given them as birthday cards.

twindragonsmum
                                Participant

Ooooo! Ooooo! How do I get on the list for a kirin skin birthday card??????? *snerk*

tdm :party: :love:

tdm

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 138 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.