fbpx

Oregon winter

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Oregon winter

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    nessiemom
    Participant

Snow I wouldn’t mind… Unfortunately the midwest tends towards ice. Blech… We did get a little snow between yesterday and today. Just enough to cover the grass, but it melted on the streets and sidewalks. I can handle that!
      I keep wondering why I stay here. I would be quite happy in the desert somewhere!

Katherine
      Participant

nessiemom wrote:

Snow I wouldn’t mind… Unfortunately the midwest tends towards ice. Blech… We did get a little snow between yesterday and today. Just enough to cover the grass, but it melted on the streets and sidewalks. I can handle that!
        I keep wondering why I stay here. I would be quite happy in the desert somewhere!

XD That’s what my mom says!! πŸ˜€

Melody wrote:

purplecat wrote:

How is Oregon winter treating you guys? I know it’s colder than you’re used to, but do you guys have snow or anything yet? I know it’s just November…but I dont really know when it starts getting super cold there… Do they ski and stuff there, or do you have to drive really far to do that sort of thing? Did you ever sort out the birds in the living room chaos? Hope everything is going great for you guys! πŸ˜€

Yes, it is cold sometimes.. all I can say is I LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT!! No snow yet, and it’s not that cold right now, overcast and gorgeous! The weather here is crazy! It will be foggy, then rainy, then crystal clear and sunny, then overcast and rainy again, all in one day! Keeps you entertained! We haven’t traveled to the snow areas here. We don’t ski, but I have heard that there isn’t any snow for skiing yet.
        No the bird situation is still…a situation. Oy.
        I think I want to build cages for them with clear acrylic sides to keep out drafts, and keep in racket, feathers and seeds. That way I can keep them inside (I prefer to have them inside) without driving us all crazy.
        What is the weather like where you are? How is the new kitty settling in?

It’s like Alberta! Hehe, it gets to you after awhile. When you leave for the day, and it’s freezing and wet and rainy/snowy in the morning, so you bundle up, and then by the afternoon it’s warm and sunny and nice so you have to carry around your bulky stuff, and then it gets cold and crappy again the exact moment you forget your bulky warm stuff in the car. XD

It’s Murphy’s Law. πŸ˜€

Purplecat
        Participant

Melody wrote:

purplecat wrote:

How is Oregon winter treating you guys? I know it’s colder than you’re used to, but do you guys have snow or anything yet? I know it’s just November…but I dont really know when it starts getting super cold there… Do they ski and stuff there, or do you have to drive really far to do that sort of thing? Did you ever sort out the birds in the living room chaos? Hope everything is going great for you guys! πŸ˜€

Yes, it is cold sometimes.. all I can say is I LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT!! No snow yet, and it’s not that cold right now, overcast and gorgeous! The weather here is crazy! It will be foggy, then rainy, then crystal clear and sunny, then overcast and rainy again, all in one day! Keeps you entertained! We haven’t traveled to the snow areas here. We don’t ski, but I have heard that there isn’t any snow for skiing yet.
          I think I want to build cages for them with clear acrylic sides to keep out drafts, and keep in racket, feathers and seeds. That way I can keep them inside (I prefer to have them inside) without driving us all crazy.
          What is the weather like where you are? How is the new kitty settling in?

Kindof like an indoor aviary…or indoor bird habitat! neat! I saw a cool thing done for lizards once where it was actually build INTO a corner of their house, but it was for an iguana I think…It had plexiglass walls so it could be viewed, and a door for entry. I suppose they put an easy clean up type flooring in there, and I remember seeing branches and climbing type stuffs in there. πŸ™‚

I’ve never actually seen snow in large quantities, though I’d love to, the most I’ve ever seen is 5 inches I think. I love snow…but here we get mostly ice. yuck.

Mimzy is doing good, though she still doesnt seem to know what to do with herself…I think we’re gonna have to actually teach her HOW to play. It’s obvious she’s gonna be more high strung than our other kitties, at least for a while, but she can be very loving!

Maria
          Participant

We’ve had snow on the ground for nearly two weeks now and are supposed to get some more today. Also, this is the coldest winter I can remember in years. And no, I’m not a winter person.

Jennifer
            Keymaster

Melody wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

We’ve had snow every day since the 15th here! It’s about 3′ deep in some areas where we go. I’ve been spending most of the daylight hours out in it for the last 2 weeks!

Wow. That is serious snow! What do you do out in it?

It’s not serious snow yet! A few years ago we got eight feet in one day… now that’s serious.
              I actually go hunting! It’s lovely to spend all day out in the woods, even though you end up freezing. The only problem is that then I have to work all night to make up for it!

Melody wrote:

They make aviaries like that, or you could make one, there are a few things you have to keep in mind. They are great for keeping seed and whatnot inside but you have to make sure they’re vented well (obviously). They don’t keep sound out as well as one would hope for lovebirds and cockatiels, but it helps. Also, just as an aside, I don’t know how they do it but smaller parrots like tiels and lovebirds and especially budgies have this amazing talent to get poop on vertical surfaces, so you will have to spend a lot of time cleaning the poo off the sides of the plexiglass (been there done that for years, ack).

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

darjeb
              Participant

PurpleCat said “I’ve never actually seen snow in large quantities, though I’d love to, the most I’ve ever seen is 5 inches I think. I love snow…but here we get mostly ice. yuck.”

Once is enough I grew up in the Midwest and believe me I’ve seen enough snow to last a lifetime that is why I now live in FLORIDA. Although it has been a little cool here – 68 degrees or so – the last few days and last night we had a terrific rainstorm with lightening, thunder and an extremely high wind.

PurpleTurtle
                Participant

We had snow last night, and it was slushy. I work a graveyard shift and had to drive in it – ick. Night driving is not one of my favorite things, but add the complications of crappy road conditions it’s enough to drive me a little batty. But it’s been very mild here and all of the snow is almost gone now. I’m a snow person if I don’t have to drive in it or shovle it. Great thing I live in Maine…

I’m glad you are enjoying your winter Melody! Snow is great at first. Then before you know it you have 5 foot tall snow banks and wet floors all the time from doggie feet, plus it’s 10 degrees below zero…still snowing, ‘where am I going to put all this snow?’…hubby just HAS to touch you with his frozen hands when he’s been out all night plowing the driveway a gazillion times because it’s STILL snowing and the big plows keep delivering a 2 foot high pile of snow in the driveway….then you see the school bus driving 100 miles per hour down your road which you *know* is slippery….and more snow is expected tonight… πŸ™„

yah, I’m not really a winter person at ALL…. :shrug:

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.