fbpx

Olympics

Home Forums Miscellany Community Olympics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

So, do people watch them? Not care? Personally I love the Olympics. I thought the opening ceremony was the best I’ve ever seen – totally amazing. And the little boy – made me cry. If you didn’t see it there was a littly 9 year old boy walking next to Yao Ming, the flag bearer. The boy had been in the earthquake several months ago. 20 of his 30 classmates were killed. 😥 😥 But after he dug himself out of the rubble he went back and dug out 2 of his classmates “because it was my responsibility because I’m a class leader and hall monitor.”

As a big basketball fan I’m watching the Redeam Team – they are doing well.

And I totally freaked at the ending of the men’s 4X100 meter freestyle relay! Ha! Ha! Talk about putting your foot in your mouth!

twindragonsmum
    Participant

I love watching the gymnasts; my boys like track events since that’s what they do… Just haven’t had any time to catch anything yet 😳 😀

tdm

I usually don’t watch the olympics. The only thing I watch is hockey in the winter ones… 🙄

darjeb
      Participant

The only thing I watch is figure skating in the winter but I alwasys watch that opening and closing ceremonies every time. That opening ceremony was absolutely fantastic. I wasn’t home Friday night so I taped it and watched it yesterday.

I watched the opening ceremony, and loved most of it! My favorite part was the “moving boxes” I thought that was just the ccolest thing ever! I don’t really watch the summer events though, I like the winter skating , that’s about all I actually watch from the olympics, except for the ceremonies. And that little boys just made me cry, in a good way.

laphon1
        Participant

ddvm wrote:

And the little boy – made me cry. If you didn’t see it there was a littly 9 year old boy walking next to Yao Ming, the flag bearer. The boy had been in the earthquake several months ago. 20 of his 30 classmates were killed. 😥 😥 But after he dug himself out of the rubble he went back and dug out 2 of his classmates “because it was my responsibility because I’m a class leader and hall monitor.”

And I totally freaked at the ending of the men’s 4X100 meter freestyle relay! Ha! Ha! Talk about putting your foot in your mouth!

Yeah, I’ve been watching. That little boy will go far.

Ditto on the relay freaking. And we weren’t the only ones.

DragonMistress wrote:

I watched the opening ceremony, and loved most of it! My favorite part was the “moving boxes” I thought that was just the ccolest thing ever! I don’t really watch the summer events though, I like the winter skating , that’s about all I actually watch from the olympics, except for the ceremonies. And that little boys just made me cry, in a good way.

i saw the opening too , it was really something to see , PD is a Phelps fan(or dork how ever you classify it) since he is from our area

Maebnus
          Participant

I missed the opening ceremony 😥 .

I watch what I can, when I can. Though I’m not really interested in basketball/soccer/handball/waterpolo/fieldhockey (they’re all too similar to me), and they seem to show the entire game when those are on :?. Tennis, I love, but I’m okay with not getting to see much of it (since Wimbledon wasn’t that long ago). I enjoy watching events that don’t ever seem to be on tv… archery, beach volleyball, weight-lifting (Mmm.. a couple of those Chinese guys are cute), equestrian stuff (I don’t know jack about it, but the horses are pretty). A local Japanese channel had on Judo Sunday night… but since I don’t understand the scoring, it wasn’t really interesting (I don’t care about not understanding the announcers unless I need to be told what the heck is going on!). I seem to be missing all the gymnastics though, which is disappointing. I like watching the women’s stuff.

I just wish I knew what was on and when. I want to see some super-speed table tennis!

Oh, and I’m loving the dresses that the Chinese women are wearing during ceremony stuff. I don’t normally catch those, but I’ve seen 3 dresses so far and they’re gorgeous! (poofy red one from the Opening, and two styles of white ones during a medal award)

Maebnus3 wrote:

I missed the opening ceremony 😥 .

I watch what I can, when I can. Though I’m not really interested in basketball/soccer/handball/waterpolo/fieldhockey (they’re all too similar to me), and they seem to show the entire game when those are on :?. Tennis, I love, but I’m okay with not getting to see much of it (since Wimbledon wasn’t that long ago). I enjoy watching events that don’t ever seem to be on tv… archery, beach volleyball, weight-lifting (Mmm.. a couple of those Chinese guys are cute), equestrian stuff (I don’t know jack about it, but the horses are pretty). A local Japanese channel had on Judo Sunday night… but since I don’t understand the scoring, it wasn’t really interesting (I don’t care about not understanding the announcers unless I need to be told what the heck is going on!). I seem to be missing all the gymnastics though, which is disappointing. I like watching the women’s stuff.

I just wish I knew what was on and when. I want to see some super-speed table tennis!

Oh, and I’m loving the dresses that the Chinese women are wearing during ceremony stuff. I don’t normally catch those, but I’ve seen 3 dresses so far and they’re gorgeous! (poofy red one from the Opening, and two styles of white ones during a medal award)

here is the site it changes every day to keep the times and channels up to date
            http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080812/SPORTS/808120520/1002

Maebnus
            Participant

Thanks, Necron. I don’t have any of those channels, so it’s all being broadcast on the lovely (:roll:) Armed Forces Network channels. Their website has been less than accurate when I’ve checked it, so I’ll use The Courier’s to see what should be on if anything’s playing. 😀 I’m curious to compare and see if they’re actually showing it all to us. At least it looks like we’re still getting it Live, though their timing at replacing normal commercials with AFN propaganda sure is impressive sometimes.

Hey, it looks like there’s some ping pong action sometime in the next few hours… woo!

Katherine
              Participant

I am keeping my eye on it somewhat. Shawn Johnson is a big local star here since she is from West Des Moines. I usually pay more attention to the Winter games though.

A bunch of the opening ceremonies were faked, some taped earlier, the little girl that sang their anthem lip synced because the girl that sang it had crooked teeth.
                http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jfzfkRi2Zf8YtkYGrQJmJdKMfF4w

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Some-Opening-Ceremony-fireworks-were-faked?urn=oly,99745

Did I miss something? When I read the first article it said she wasn’t chosen because she was chubby, not pretty enough, but had a perfect voice. I didn’t see anything about crooked teeth…? Whatever, it doesn’t matter.

All I say is ouch though to the girl who actually sang the song. Imagine someone coming up to you and saying, oh you have an amazing voice, but you are ugly as s***.

I’m more of a winter olympics person…>.> The summer sports don’t do it for me. Although the gymnastics are always pretty cool.

SPEED SKATING FTW! Man that looks like fun, makes me want to take up skating. X)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.