fbpx

Need to talk…..

Home Forums Miscellany Community Need to talk…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author

I am coming to all of you lovely people for some advice and to tell you something about me that I just found out. I need to vent and let someone know what is going on and hope for responses from someone who is or knows someone going through the same thing.

Well, this all started last year. I had gone to my OBGYN for a visit about my unusual cycles. (that is a nicest, “not to much info” way of saying it) I was having this cramps, which I had never had before. So they were unusual. He started me on a different dose of birth control to see if it would help.

Over the past year, it was okay, but has gotten worse. Now I get these pains right before my cycle and during. I can’t sleep, can’t lay down flat, and can’t stand up straight without shoots of pain. So I called him.

He disclosed to me that I may have cysts on my ovaries. And my concern is that my mother had a form of cancer on her cervix. I have no idea what to think. He said that because of the family history, he wants me to come in because they may be cancer.

When he said that, my heart dropped. Now I have to wait to see my fate. I don’t think that I have been more scared in my entire life! So, right now, I would like to hear some positive re-enforcement because I am about to lose my mind! I don’t know weather to cry or scream, or to be fine until I know, or worry. My mind is racing. I am only 22. When my mom’s cancer was found, I was only 9, so I really didn’t fully understand. Anyone with some words of wisdom? I’d really appreciate it!

Stephanie
    Participant

*hugs* I haven’t gone through that so I don’t have any advice. But I hope things turn out fine! Try to stay calm – it may be nothing.

Hang in there!

Laurie
      Participant

well, get the ultrasound done that he’ll probably tell you to get. I had the cysts as well and caused serious pain during ovulation. I had the ultrasound done and they couldn’t find them (sometimes they dissolve) I took the 800 miligram motrin for quite awhile But I’m fine now. Don’t worry too much about the cysts, but have them checked, and be sure to have regular checkups to keep up with them. πŸ˜‰

Rusti
        Participant

I have PCOS myself, although my doctor never suggested they were cancerous (yet). Doc suspected as much for a long time and instructed a sneak peak at them when she ordered an MRI for my back. Two birds with one stone, I guess.

I’m fortunate in that birth control has completely irradicated my…abnormal cycles. Where I would skip months before, I can get right down almost to the hour now. Although the pills have done nothing for the chin hair…

Anyhow, cystic ovaries seem to be more and more common these days, and they can be quite painful. I think they can lead to cancer, but are not, in and of themselves, cancerous. If your doc wants to have a look, by all means, the sooner the better, just in case, so you can have them out.

I wouldn’t get too worked just yet, doc is simply being cautious, given your family history of reproductive cancer. Better that than he wave you out of his office like he can’t be bothered.

Jodi
          Participant

I had cysts on my ovaries, but they went away when I stopped taking birth control pills. I was off the pills for eight years before starting up again, and have been without problems since.

I’m not saying that this is what your problem is, but you may want to talk to your doctor about how birth control and ovarian cysts relate. Or look it up on WebMD.

emerald212 wrote:

I had cysts on my ovaries, but they went away when I stopped taking birth control pills. I was off the pills for eight years before starting up again, and have been without problems since.

I’m not saying that this is what your problem is, but you may want to talk to your doctor about how birth control and ovarian cysts relate. Or look it up on WebMD.

Last year when it started, he thought that I had something else (and for the love of me I can’t think of what it was…where the lining doesn’t fully exit the body during the cycle) and he switched my birth control. I could tollerate it for a while, but it has slowly gotten worse. My cycle went from almost a week long starting on Tuesday, to two days, starting on the Saturday before I start a new birth control pack. Whatever this is, he says it’s messing with my body. He is only one of about four OBGYNs around here, so the only open appointments are in July. So I have to wait another month. πŸ™ In the meantime, I am suppose to try to relax. (yeah, right….relax) So we will see

Thank you to all of you who have said some words of reassurance. They are helping. πŸ™‚

twindragonsmum
            Participant

Sounds to me like you have endometriosis. I had that and it can be very painful as well as damaging. The only way to know for certain is to have a laparoscopy so they can see what’s going on internally. I’m no doctor but your symptoms sound like what I went through… Good luck, keep us posted

twindragonsmum

tdm

twindragonsmum wrote:

Sounds to me like you have endometriosis. I had that and it can be very painful as well as damaging. The only way to know for certain is to have a laparoscopy so they can see what’s going on internally. I’m no doctor but your symptoms sound like what I went through… Good luck, keep us posted

twindragonsmum

OMG!!! Thank you! I was searching for that word earlier! LOL Had a brain fart at that moment I guess. That is what he said as well. He has me in for the 18th of July. So if I can stay sane until then, we will figure it out then. Thanks so much!

Laurie
              Participant

I’ve had problems with cysts and my ob told me that its normal for all women to get ovarian cysts. She said sometimes they get big and thats what causes all the pain. I think it was wrong of your doctor to jump the gun and say it might be cancer without doing some kind of testing to back up his claim. I had problems with pain so bad I would just curl up in a ball and cry. I wouldn’t worry yet since cysts are very common in all women and there are lots of woman problems out there that can cause pain.

Amanda
                Participant

I can’t offer any advise since I haven’t been through anything like this, but hang in there and try to stay calm-we’re all sending good thoughts and prayers your way! *hugs*

Oh, don’t worry yet. It probably is cysts (not that cysts are better.)

I’ve always had very painful times of the month. Sometimes I’m in pain the week before and the week of. It makes me very very irritable. But, the last few years have been really bad for me. For a few days to a week before, I’ll get sick really sick. I’d love to know why. The doctor never seems to care about it. So, I’m sure in my case it’s nothing.

I’m praying for you.

Travistie
                  Participant

I was thinking the exact same thing as twindragonsmum. My mother experienced a lot of pain down below… especially during her periods. She had endometrosis. You may not though! She had to get a procedure done to have it taken care of hers though. It was a fairly simple procedure from what I can remember (it was probably 10 years ago she had it done). She is all better now though. She has had a lot of gyn related problems over the years though… including cysts on her ovaries. Those were never a problem though, and eveything else was caught early enough to prevent from turning into something bad. My aunt also had problems. I make sure to keep up with my annual visits due to my family history.

Keep your appointment for July. It’s better to be find out for sure what’s going on. I hope it goes well for you. πŸ™‚ Keep us posted.

Katherine
                    Participant

Yes, don’t worry! I can’t offer any advice, and I know that not worrying is easier said than done, but peace of mind is best right now! πŸ˜€

BlueDragon
                      Participant

My aunt had a problem with cysts. She had to go through some kind of treatment program to help deal with them. I don’t know much about it personally, but hang in there! It will get better!

BD πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.