fbpx

Nature's Beauties

Home Forums Miscellany Community Nature's Beauties

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    pipsxlch
    Participant

Aah pigeon bloods! One of my favorite discus was a pigeon blood. And Stormdancer, as a born and bred flatlander, your scenery is AMAZING!
      I’ve tried iris, it struggles a few years without blooming then just fades away. We very rarely go down to the mid 30s or lower, but do have half a year or more of 90+ days and lots of wet. I’ve checked websites for cultivation clues, and notice some of the most professional seeming growers refuse to ship here saying the plants flat out can’t grow here. Oh well, my orchids like it!

StormDancer
      Participant

Yes they are Red Marlboro. But I know that has a very high percentage of the pigeon blood gene in it. And from what I understand the peppering on the ones face isn’t considered desirable, but I think it gives him character.
        I’ve just ordered 4 more, hopefully to be here Wednesday. 2 Cerulian Reflection Discus (blue) and 2 Cerulian Ruby Leopard Discus (ruby). They are babies so I know they won’t have great colors for a while but I’m looking forward to seeing them grow up.
        The photos of what they should resemble as adults…

soliddiscus_cerulianreflection

discusfish_cerulianrubyleopard

I agree my scenery this year is beautiful. Usually in high mountain desert it’s pretty brown even in the spring. The extra moisture this spring has the desert showing off all its normally hidden beauty. I’m loving it and wish it would do this every year!

I’d guess that iris don’t do well in your area because it’s got to much moisture. They want watered then they want to dry out. To much moisture can slowly rot the rhizomes from the inside out.

I’m sure your orchids love it though.
        All my orchids are house plants. In summer it’s to hot and not enough shade, in the winter it’s to cold. But the cattleyas bloom for me every year and my phals bloom off and on all year round so I figure they are happy.

Looking for:
        "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Bodine
        Participant

I have mine inside in a sunny window.Is this a good thing?

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Bodine
          Participant

My Angel babies are free swimming!

Point-Blur_May212019_051835

tig3r06
            Participant

That’s so neat! Cute little buggers 😊

StormDancer
              Participant

I just keep all my orchids in an east window that has blinds on it so its sunny but still very lightly shaded as well. They get at least 5 hours of sun this way each day. I know they could probably have a bit more sun but I don’t have any better windows for them.

Congratulations on the baby angles swimming! Cant wait to see them grow some more!

Looking for:
                "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

pipsxlch
                Participant

Yay for swimmers! You have good breeders. And the babies, if things continue to go well, should be worth a little more as parent raised. Parenting is in part a learned behavior for these guys. And Mom and Dad’s skills should improve with each batch.

Basically, yes a sunny windowsill is good. The phals like a bit less light than the cattleya. I’d even put the catt outside until fall if you have a spot with midday filtered light or shade. Indoors, an eastern exposure would be best for the phals; they could take a north one but would like a little more light. The catt would like the eastern one but close to the glass; it could take south or west but back a bit from the glass. The phals can go outside too, but would prefer indirect light.

That said, my phals (all my orchids are outdoors year round) are on my front porch, which faces west- they get an hour or two of direct late afternoon sun. My catts are on a fence and in trees where they get direct sun until mid morning and after mid afternoon; some get it all day though they find it a bit too much. My sister’s yard is better, they all get direct morning sun but shade from about 11AM on. She has her phals tucked a bit more under a tree than the catts.

Bodine
                  Participant

Thank you Pip.They are currently doing well but will find permanent spots.
                    I am sitting on my porch watching Liberty and Toki playing in the yard,dog &cat best friends.
                    I have 5 babies left. Mom ate them,daddy tried to protect them.They are in a 10g by themselves and growing well. I got this shot of a tiny Koi.This one loves the bubbles.

Point-Blur_Jun022019_075827

Ela_Hara
                    Participant

Bad Mommy Angel!
                      Hope the five do well and grow!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                      Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                      Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                      *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

sherry10151982
                      Participant

WOW!! How tiny!! How long does it take for them to grow bigger? Does the mom always eat her young? I would’ve thought the daddy would’ve done that, but that’s so sweet he was trying to protect them from mean old mom!!

Bodine
                        Participant

It is typical for parents to eat them.I guess mom said screw all this work and ate them.lol Today,people I have spoken to,have told me most Angels today won’t even breed much less raise them because of domestication.They are loosing their natural instincts.I got lucky.I put these two together for possible breeding and they did bond.I hope at least one Koi has long fins like momma.They are a couple of weeks old,seems slow growing but not really considering they were just little specks.I will post every week as they grow,if they make it.🤞

Bodine
                          Participant

It is so cool watching them.The daddy tried.He would thump the bottom of the tank,all the babies would move between him and the tank wall.He tried to shield them with his body but she got them at night.

Bodine
                            Participant

I have 2 Koi and 2 gold left but they are thriving.

Point-Blur_Jun102019_064651

Suzanne-Marie
                              Participant

Awww hope the sweet babies make it
                                They are so fortunate to have their daddy and you helping them !!

Bodine
                                Participant

Me too Suzanne.
                                  I haven’t shown Ozzie in awhile.About 14″ now.I think Oz will need a new home by Summer’s end.

Point-Blur_Jun122019_075952

Point-Blur_Jun122019_081211

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 371 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.