fbpx

My first PYO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Heather
    Participant

Heather
      Participant

Well, here she is! There’s no theme here really; I just put together all the things I could think of that I wanted to try, and tried not to let the colors clash too badly. She was a lot of fun to paint! I really did learn a lot from painting her, so this Muse gets the gold star as a teacher. As a fashion plate . . . ummm . . . well, neither am I. πŸ˜›

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/Barrdwing/OGEmperor%20and%20Muse1/Muse1front.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/Barrdwing/OGEmperor%20and%20Muse1/Muse1right.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/Barrdwing/OGEmperor%20and%20Muse1/Muse1back.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/Barrdwing/OGEmperor%20and%20Muse1/Muse1left.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/Barrdwing/OGEmperor%20and%20Muse1/Muse1face.jpg

I used Apple Barrel for the most part, with some pearl medium and some interference paint. The Apple Barrel is surprisingly nice paint, and it’s pleasant to work with something that’s not so expensive that I’m afraid to experiment with it.

Pegasi1978
        Participant

How cute! Nothing wrong with Apple Barrel paints. I’ve been using them on my PYOs. They have a nice selection of ready mixed colors. Plus they are a LOT thinner than some of the other paints (*cough* Liquitex *cough*).

Oh she is just darling! Love the direction you took with the scales and the blending on the dragon wing area was fantastic. She’s a little beauty. Are you going to keep her or sell her on eBay (or here)? Shes just too cute πŸ˜€

Heather
          Participant

Thanks, pegasi and PT! πŸ™‚ I’ll probably keep her, seeing as she’s the first. Besides, she’s good for moral support: I can look at her when I’m frustrated with the current PYO (a griffin that is giving me absolute fits) and remind myself that she turned out OK, so maybe this one will too. I hope. πŸ˜›

You’re right, pegasi, Apple Barrel makes some great paints! I guess what I was trying to say was that I was pleasantly surprised to discover that there were good paints that didn’t cost an arm and a leg. I’m very much a greenie when it comes to painting, so it’s great to have paints that I can play around with and learn from. πŸ™‚

She looks really neat! I love what you did with all the different textures. Nice job!

laphon1
            Participant

She’s adorable.

Skigod377
              Participant

I like. Nice array of patterns.

MAN! I love all the different details and patterns on this like the patterns on the scales and the feathers! This is so awesome!

My advice on future endevors is to maybe start antiquing. You did a REALLY awesome job with those thin Appel Barrel paints (which I think I need to start looking in to because when I bought some Golden paints my wallet gagged) so the textures are REALLY still well-defined and I bet you can really make the textures POP. It’d be awesome.

EDIT: Oh…looking at the photos again it does look like you antiqued the hair and some of the smaller scales…whatever those are on her head…it looks good! The front looks a little more flat in comparison.

If that’s your first PYO, I can’t WAIT to see future ones!

KoishiiKitty
                Participant

look at that funky Muse! that is so cool! I like those spotty things on the scales, they look like eyes O.o

now for that griffin!!! you know he wants to be paintes, he is sitting there with a teeny voice saying,” finish meeeeeee.” lol

I think this muse looks nice. I do agree with Koshii about the dots on the scales.

And I hate to say it, but I do not like Apple Barrel paint after using Liquitex. It is too thin for me and it made the paint not stick to my PYO.

oh how cute,i just love the muses,i use the plaid folk art paints,cheap nice heavy pigment and i love them,i just started base coating all my pyos with gesso and it helps agianst peeling.

Pegasi1978
                  Participant

I actually forgot that most of my paints are Folk Arts, not Apple Barrel. Though I haven’t found much of a difference between the two. I haven’t basecoated any of my PYOs and I’ve had very little problem with peeling.

Maria
                    Participant

It’s hard to believe that’s your first PYO, Barrdwing. She’s lovely. I like the way she’s colorful and varied without being busy.

pegasi1978 wrote:

I actually forgot that most of my paints are Folk Arts, not Apple Barrel. Though I haven’t found much of a difference between the two. I haven’t basecoated any of my PYOs and I’ve had very little problem with peeling.

i only have had the peeling problem if i get any skin oil on them,with the gesso i dont have to worry if i get a little skin oil on the piece,yes i wash my hands,but im in pre-menapause at this time,and i have a hand and feet sweating thing going on πŸ˜›

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.