Melody’s clay sculptures

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Melody’s clay sculptures

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Nightcrow
    Participant

Oh, I LOVE Snerl! Will he be roughly the same size as the PYO kitty griffin, do we know? Or larger? Smaller?

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

etruscan
      Participant

Posted yesterday (March 22) – Melody says, “This dragon head is another candle lamp we never produced. He has clear marbles for eyes and a red votive candle for a brain. His brains show through his nostrils. … He has a very rough stone texture.”

Pena_candlelamp_dragon-head_side

Pena_candlelamp_dragon-head_front

Pena_candlelamp_dragon-head_back

Posted today – Melody says, “Clay day! This is the clay sculpt of the large Rock Dragon. I made him out of some kind of oil clay that gets really strong and keeps its shape when cool but softens with heat (I’ve forgotten the name of it) It’s not like Monster clay, it has a slightly waxy feeling.
        He has lost his rock. It was the perfect rock. I had borrowed it from the neighbors. People in our neighborhood are very territorial about their granite garden rocks so I PROMISED, CROSS MY HEART to give it back.
        So I did.
        Like most of the original sculptures I’ve done, he has gotten pretty beat up by the casting process, so he’s missing a couple claws.
        He is posing in front of an old beat-up Windstone catalog I found featuring the finished Rock dragon. He’s a cover girl.”

Pena_rock-dragon_clay

etruscan
        Participant

Posted today on Melody’s Facebook page:
          Melody says, “I am working on Snerl’s feathers. He is going for a trim Art deco look.”

Pena_Snerl_WIP_carving

For reference – an earlier version of Snerl that shows the whole sculpt. The front feet were cut off the first time this image was posted and today’s photo also is missing his front feet.

Pena_Snerl_plaster_not-cropped

Several people have asked on Facebook how big the sculpt is. I have not yet seen an answer.

Melody
          Keymaster

Snerl is 6 3/4 inches long.

etruscan
            Participant

Snerl is 6 3/4 inches long.

That’s about the size of the PYO winged wolf. On her Facebook page Melody posted a couple of photos comparing Snerl and a baby unicorn.

“Snerl with the baby unicorn”

Pena_Snerl_baby-unicorn_Size_side

“That pic makes him look a little tinier than he is. He’s long.”

Pena_Snerl_baby-unicorn_Size_top

etruscan
              Participant

From Melody’s deviantArt page – a stained glass dragon window!
                Melody says, “This is a stained glass dragon that I designed. The glass work was done by Bill Taylor. This window is about 3 feet long. Photo by Andrea Dillard. … I have it in my studio window. … I cherish it.”

Pena_dragon_stained-glass

Suzanne-Marie
                Participant

WOW that is so gorgeous !!!

Megan
                  Participant

Can’t wait to add a Snerl to my griffin/flion shelf!

Melody
                    Keymaster

Oh, I LOVE Snerl! Will he be roughly the same size as the PYO kitty griffin, do we know? Or larger? Smaller?

Snerl is a little bigger than the kitty griffin but close enough that they can hang out together, being the same species of griffin.

snerl-and-kitty-griff-size-compare

etruscan
                      Participant

Posted on March 29 – Melody says, “In 2008 Windstone Editions up and moved our business from North Hollywood California to Corvallis Oregon. When we set up in Oregon… we couldn’t get our gypsum castings to come out perfectly.
                        This was a big problem.
                        It took a year or so to start producing pieces at the level of quality we had produced previously. In the meantime, we were piling up a lot of imperfect dragon castings!
                        So, to rescue all these slightly imperfect dragons I decided to try doing what my old art teacher said to do: “if you can’t conceal it , reveal it!”
                        Hokay, so we started experimenting with a distressed copper look by rubbing patina and antique onto a copper base color to enhance the defects and make them beautiful.
                        I loved the look!
                        We still rescue any imperfect castings to paint in this way. Rescue dragons painted in copper patina are much rarer these days, but there are a few in our online store: https://windstoneeditions.com/…/mother-dragon-copper…/
                        The Oriental dragon pictured here is one of the very first attempts to make him look like an old antique relic that had been in a shipwreck or something. This one has brown eyes. Earlier batches were given red eyes, now they have teal eyes that match the patina color.”

Pena_dragon_Oriental_Copper-Patina_experiment

From the comments – “PLEASE I beg of you! Make more copper with teal eyes dragons! I have most already but need Scratching and both Orientals. They are so gorgeous and I love them!”
                        Melody’s reply – “We probably will paint more designs eventually, when we get enough bad castings. We don’t get as many these days, thankfully. We sometimes use perfectly good castings too, because of the demand for this color!”

Posted on March 30 – Melody says, “Clay day. These little clay cats were intended for a pewter line we never got around to producing. At the time, around 1989 or so, pewter figurines started pouring in from China, and selling cheaper than we could buy the raw material to cast these! So we decided not to bother competing.
                        I made these out of metallic copper Sculpey, and their collars are made of wax. These cats are less than an inch tall.”

Pena_small-cats_clay

etruscan
                        Participant

This idea is still at the sketch stage (posted on “Windstone Editions” Facebook page, April 5):
                          Melody says, “I did some sketch ideas for a “Drake”, a dragon without wings.
                          are Drake dragons acceptable or do all dragons have to have wings?”

The consensus of the comments is that he definitely is “acceptable”. 🙂 Several people said that they would like to have him as a PYO.

Pena_drawing_drake_wingless-dragon

etruscan
                          Participant

From the “Windstone Editions” Facebook page, posted on April 7:

Melody says, “This Pegasus suffered during a heat wave when we were in California. Apparently the slumping point of this kind of plastilina is around 117degrees, and when it got that hot, Pegasus puddle. Today I attempted to re-sculpt him from a crumbled pile of gooey horse parts. This clay is really too mushy for good details, but we’ll see if we can get a mold off of him, and finally make a PYO Pegasus. He is almost the same size as the Mother Pegasus.”

Pena_WIP_Pegasus_clay_possible-PYO

Mika
                            Participant

For the drake, what size is he expected to be? Or is it too early to say?

laphon1
                              Participant

That clay Pegasus is gorgeous. I want one. I could just sit and look at him for hours. Unfortunately I need to go back to work so I can afford to buy one… And have someone paint it for me.

etruscan
                                Participant

From the “Windstone Editions” Facebook page, posted on April 8.

Melody says, “Throwback Thursday on Friday again because I forgot.
                                  This dusty brown horse is an old hand-built ceramic sculpt I made a long time ago, before Windstone. He is bisque fired and painted with acrylic paint. He was never intended to be cast in gypsum, and we probably couldn’t because of his head position. It would be really hard to pull a one-piece mold off of him!
                                  He looks kinda bad-tempered anyway. …”

Photo captions are Melody’s:
                                  “A mother unicorn for size comparison”

Pena_horse_ceramic_side1

“Over shoulder look”

Pena_horse_ceramic_side2

“Braid in mane”

Pena_horse_ceramic_front

“Tail end”

Pena_horse_ceramic_back

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 105 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.