Melody’s clay sculptures

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Melody’s clay sculptures

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Megan
    Participant

I can just imagine an invisible finger booping his snoot, haha!

Ann Marie
      Participant

I adore the male qi-lin! The female flion would be fun too. My flion is lonely . . .

Magentas-Cat

linda
        Participant

That male Qi lin is spectacular!!!! Love ❤ the face.

Nightcrow
          Participant

Snerl is looking really good! I absolutely love him, and look forward to his entry in the PYO line eventually! (Still want him on an embroidered patch someday, too… squeak squeak.) 🙂

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

etruscan
            Participant

From the “Windstone Editions” Facebook page – another comparison between clay original and finished sculpt.
              Melody says, “The original clay Young Unicorn and the finished one. The original was sculpted in some kind of air-dry clay. It has a nice rough gargoylie look.”

Pena_sculpt_young-unicorn

etruscan
              Participant

Perhaps I should have called this thread “Melody’s Miscellany”!
                Two more photos that Melody posted on the “Windstone Editions” Facebook page.
                Melody says, “I found this tiny castle I did a long time ago. We never produced it.”

Pena_sculpt_tiny-castle

I don’t THINK there is a clay sculpture lurking in this photo …

Melody says, “Since clutter pics are interesting, this is a part of my studio room.
                I hoard all the unsalable rejects, and the obsolete paint samples get stashed here too. One reason I have collected these together is so that people who visit (before covid made us hermits) could feel free to handle these without worrying about breaking them. These old paint samples are already dinged up!”

Pena_storage_samples

From the comments – “Wow! How fun! Love the carousel horses peeking thru!”
                Melody’s reply – “We still haven’t found the poles for them since we moved here! So they are galloping around on the rug.”

Mika
                Participant

That tiny castle is super nice. I really like the uneven-ness of it.

windstonefan
                  Participant

Nice, thanks etruscan.

windstonefan

etruscan
                    Participant

An old photo of Melody and her husband (and a number of other things) that Melody posted on the Windstone Editions Instagram page:

Melody says, “Throwback Thursday with more clutter. This is John Alberti and me, Melody Pena, with Woody on the left and Schpucker on the right. I am holding Berd, John is holding Whistlejacket. Rufus is sitting on the cow skull.This pic was taken in 1989.”

Screenshot_Pena_Melody-John

dragonmedley
                      Participant

This begs the question: why are the llamas in the studio?
                        (Or what seems to be a studio)

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

etruscan
                        Participant

Did you know that Windstone painted some “Black and Tan” dragons back in the day? I didn’t!
                          From the “Windstone Editions” Facebook page. Melody says, “Throwback Thursday. These are the only original Black and tan dragons I saved from the old days when the only other colors we sold were Peacock, green and brown dragons.
                          We also test painted a few jet black ones and some ” Wedding Cake” colored ones, which were the first attempt at white dragons.
                          I can’t remember when we started putting things on Ebay, but I remember the retail gift shops didn’t want these! Stores wanted colorful stuff, so we hardly sold any of these.
                          I have never seen any black and tan dragons pop up on eBay so there must not be very many ( or any?) in the wild!”

Windstone_dragons_old-Black-Tan

From the comments – “These are beautiful! I didn’t even know these were a colour family from back in the day….I guess they weren’t 80’s or 90’s themed enough for the stores? 😆 I think they’d certainly do well nowadays!”

Melody’s reply – “Well the Spectral here was made in 2002, so around then.”

From the comments – “Any chance you may bring them back?”

Melody’s reply – “Well, since they aren’t retired, because we never really produced them, it is possible! Though I’d change the eye color or something to differentiate them from any originals that might be roaming free out in the world.”

Setsunawolf
                          Participant

I would totally buy those

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                            Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                            Sun Dragon Koi #3

etruscan
                            Participant

Another oldie – the Potter cat sculpt.

On deviantArt Melody says, “This is a casting of a rough clay sculpture I did of our old cat, Potter. This sculpture was intended to be an outdoor cement piece but was never produced. This one is cast in gypsum and airbrushed with acrylic paint.
                              Potter was about twenty years old when he posed for this nearly life-sized sculpture. He had a kinked tail and almost always lay down with his front paw turned up like that.
                              He is about 14 inches long.”

Pena_potter-cat

On the Forum Melody says that there was a companion “Butterfly cat” but I don’t find a photo of that one.

Melody did post a photo of the real Potter and Butterfly on DeviantArt. She says, “Here is a pic of the real Potter cat, with his buddy, Butterfly, and a crumbling cement casting of the ‘Potter cat’ sculpture.
                              Potter really posed like that.
                              The sculpture casting pictured here was cast in a type of cement that didn’t hold up in the rain.”

Pena_potter_butterfly_cats

Melody posted this on the Forum (December 10, 2008) in answer to a question about an Orange test paint Potter cat on ebay – “We have a few more castings of Potter cats, so I may paint another one, but since these cats have been sitting around for quite awhile, I don’t know if we have any others that are still good enough to paint.
                              I also don’t know if we will ever make more! The best I can do is say maybe!
                              We may have a ‘Butterfly’ cat or two, also. They are the same size as the Potter cat and were cast at the same time. They were sculpted with my cat, Butterfly, as a model. He was a much less cooperative model than Potter, but looked more like a typical cute cat. (Potter had that long, odd-shaped face, just like the sculpture) I was thinking that these two sculptures might be useful to use in the future as part of a ‘Cat Memorial’ line of sculptures.”

Also on the Forum Melody says that the Potter cats that were produced did NOT sell!
                              From January 1, 2007 – “The Potter cat is an almost life sized cat that I sculpted in around 1993,(old!) using my cat ‘Potter’ as a model. He was intended to be an outside garden cat, made of cement. We didn’t have the cement pouring process worked out when I did this sculpt, so we tried to sell them in plaster as indoor pieces… and they were a TOTAL FLOP. I do make spectacular duds. I don’t think we sold a single one from a store! Even the cat stores couldn’t move them.
                              I saw one pair of these ‘yard’ cats (the Potter cat, with his companion the ‘Butterfly’ cat) on Ebay once. I was suprized that they sold for a reasonable price! I don’t remember who got them though. Them is rare kitties.”

According to Melody (posted on July 15, 2007), “The best thing about the Potter cat sculpture is the reaction live cats have to them. Cats think it is real!”

Ann Marie
                              Participant

I would totally buy a “Potter” cat! He reminds me of my late Hugh.

Magentas-Cat

GardenNinja
                                Participant

I want a Potter cat!!! I have wanted one since I saw that picture some years ago.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.