fbpx

Mardi Gras Visit! More New Pics! Edited 2/6/08

Home Forums Miscellany Community Mardi Gras Visit! More New Pics! Edited 2/6/08

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Skigod377
    Participant

Great pics!!! In the first pics ya’ll are all bundled up, but in the second, it looks nice and sunny. Is it just the difference from night and day, or does the weather change alot?

Maria
      Participant

Great pics, keschete! Thanks for sharing. It looks like great fun.

Jasmine
        Participant

Looks like a great time. I don’t think those drinks are quite big enough though. πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

darjeb
          Participant

Great pictures. I have always wanted to go to Mardi Gras but never have. I was in New Orleans for a few days about ten years ago and we went over to an island where the floats and other things are built and stored and it was a lot of fun. Do you know if it is still there or did Katrina destroy it?

keschete
            Participant

darjeb wrote:

Great pictures. I have always wanted to go to Mardi Gras but never have. I was in New Orleans for a few days about ten years ago and we went over to an island where the floats and other things are built and stored and it was a lot of fun. Do you know if it is still there or did Katrina destroy it?

Hehehe, that isn’t an island…that is Algiers and it is on the westbank of the Mississippi River. The place you went is probably Blaine Kern’s place. He builds floats.

Home

siberakh1
              Participant

Sorry I didn’t post sooner. I got home at midnight Sunday night/Monday morning and had to work the next day on a swing shift, so I’ve been trying to get caught up at work and dealing with the slightly shifted sleep schedule (and two dogs who missed me tremendously and have been requiring my attention). I’ll get my pictures posted by Saturday night. I can say that I had an absolute blast! The food was absolutely fantastic! A-Bears was by far the best! The hospitality was wonderful. I’ve been sorting through all the beads and stuff I brought back (and I still have more to arrive by mail that couldn’t fit in the luggage). Kaya, my mom loves my bunny and the fancier beads! I also got to see Kaya at work (bad that it had to happen, but still, good to know people were there to help in an emergency – a girl got hurt just before the parades on Sunday). Kaya was a great guide/hostess πŸ˜€

Ski, to answer your question: Friday night was supposed to be a large parade (Krewe of Hercules), but due to the weather, it got rained out (they ended up rescheduled for Sunday afternoon directly after the Krewe of Hyacinthians). North of where we were, sleet and hail had been reported 😯 This was after Keschete told me that the signs I saw the day before about bridges possibly icing over was something that happened once every 5 or more years or so (ie. rarely)! The temperature was around 43 degrees F, but the humidity was about 97%! That makes for a cold that just chills you to the bone! The northeast doesn’t get that much humidity usually, and I’m used to walking outside without a jacket in 20 degrees F when I’m home in upstate NY! The next night was a bit chilly, but not as bad. Sunday was excellent weather (I think it reached at least 60). My face was actually a bit pink the next day from all the sun! πŸ˜†

keschete
                Participant

siberakh1 wrote:

Sorry I didn’t post sooner. I got home at midnight Sunday night/Monday morning and had to work the next day on a swing shift, so I’ve been trying to get caught up at work and dealing with the slightly shifted sleep schedule (and two dogs who missed me tremendously and have been requiring my attention). I’ll get my pictures posted by Saturday night. I can say that I had an absolute blast! The food was absolutely fantastic! A-Bears was by far the best! The hospitality was wonderful. I’ve been sorting through all the beads and stuff I brought back (and I still have more to arrive by mail that couldn’t fit in the luggage). Kaya, my mom loves my bunny and the fancier beads! I also got to see Kaya at work (bad that it had to happen, but still, good to know people were there to help in an emergency – a girl got hurt just before the parades on Sunday). Kaya was a great guide/hostess πŸ˜€

Ski, to answer your question: Friday night was supposed to be a large parade (Krewe of Hercules), but due to the weather, it got rained out (they ended up rescheduled for Sunday afternoon directly after the Krewe of Hyacinthians). North of where we were, sleet and hail had been reported 😯 This was after Keschete told me that the signs I saw the day before about bridges possibly icing over was something that happened once every 5 or more years or so (ie. rarely)! The temperature was around 43 degrees F, but the humidity was about 97%! That makes for a cold that just chills you to the bone! The northeast doesn’t get that much humidity usually, and I’m used to walking outside without a jacket in 20 degrees F when I’m home in upstate NY! The next night was a bit chilly, but not as bad. Sunday was excellent weather (I think it reached at least 60). My face was actually a bit pink the next day from all the sun! πŸ˜†

Thanks for the kind words…you are welcome to come back next year, as is anyone who want’s to see our cajun culture and a really good time.

The girl who was hit did have a skull fracture, she is in a New Orleans hospital and she is doing well. I talked to her family and she is still slurring her words a bit, but she should make a full recovery. The man had a broken ankle and will also be fine.

You have exactly 30 pounds of beads heading your way. They should be there this Monday πŸ™‚ I left them in the garbage bags and had the UPS store stick them in a box….needless to say, it is a heavy box…

I am glad your mom like the beads πŸ™‚ What did she think of your special Hycinthians medallion?

Hugs, Kaya

keschete
                  Participant

I hope Siberakh1 doesn’t mind…but she posted some great photos and hysterical comments to her Photobucket. I am gonna post them here…and you can pm her for her photobucket account so you can read the comments….hehehehe πŸ™‚

Some pictures are of the Parades, The “Throws” caught, The Garden district in New Orleans, Lakeview with restored and non restored homes, a housing project to be torn down, Scenery pictures, the cars…etc…ohh and the SUSHI CAT!!!!

Kaya

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.