fbpx

Leaving the nest – chalet pics pg. 6

Home Forums Miscellany Community Leaving the nest – chalet pics pg. 6

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    lamortefille
    Participant

How exciting, GB! 8)

Adaneth
      Participant

Congrats! You’re lucky you can afford a house. ๐Ÿ™‚

dragonmedley
        Participant

Oh, wow! So, what did you decide?

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Maria
          Participant

Well, I’ve decided that I’d buy the house.
            Dad and Mom are going to look at a different property (for themselves) in that region on Saturday and afterwards swing by “my” place to check one more thing. Dad told me to hold off with making my offer until he’s seen the place he wants. He also has a couple different ideas about financing that he wants to consider.
            So I will write back to the sellers saying I’m clarifying a couple points about financing and I’ll send in my offer on the weekend.
            I feel antsy because there are a couple other people interested in the house too. Gotta hang on for four more days… I’ll keep you all posted! I don’t dare get too excited yet, as the last house I thought we’d be buying slipped through our fingers at the last moment (which ended being less of a tragedy than I thought, but still).

Jasmine
            Participant

That is still exciting!! ๐Ÿ˜€ I remember the first time we walked into this place, I said “this is the one” and we moved in 4 months later.

Jasmine wrote:

That is still exciting!! ๐Ÿ˜€ I remember the first time we walked into this place, I said “this is the one” and we moved in 4 months later.

The same here…Except, I still think of it as Scott’s house more than mine (Even though my name is on the deed still) simply because I did live on my own, with a couple boyfriends salted in for annoyance, and peeve raising! I loved my year of “all alone”. I enjoyed being with just me and my son in the apartment. I didn’t go do much, but it was mine, and when Glen was at his Dad’s, I could do whatever I wanted! I moved back in with my mom when I was 29 for 6 months…What hell! (Basement living is for the birds!)
              Good luck GB! I hope things all work out well for you and your family! ๐Ÿ˜€ (I think you will like it!)

Maria
              Participant

Jasmine wrote:

I have to say, the place isn’t perfect in every way – though I did get the feeling of “this would be wonderful” when I actually got to go inside. I was hoping for a house with a garage and/or room for a workshop. (Anything for the motorcycles, you know.) This chalet has a open parking space which I could put a roof over. There is a garage available for rent if I end up needing it, though, so I consider it a fair compromise.
                The negative aspects of buying the house, besides the monthly cost of the thing, are the fact that it’s a 90 minute drive from my family and work. That bugs Mom and Dad more than it does me, though, especially since I’m looking to change my job sometime, being thoroughly fed up with babysitting tenants. And the other thing is that since it’s in the mountains, it gets snow, lots of it, and quite early on. I’m not a snowlover at all. But I don’t like neighbors either, and there aren’t many in the mountains. So I’ll go with the snow. ๐Ÿ˜›

Anonymous

If you purchase and keep an actual piece of “real” property at your age, you will make me envious.

I laughed at my friend when he put everything he had into buying a house when he was 20. He bought a house that was falling to pieces for $35K. Over the last 10 years he’s put some repair and effort into it, and now has a house, that albeit old, is now worth $150K.

I’m currently trying to buy a house as well. We hit a breaking point last week, and decided that our lives would be better if we bought a house outside of the city and drove to work, as opposed to living across the street from work but being cramped in a condo.

The lure of luxury living has past. Now I want SPACE.

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

Congrats GB!
                    We are coming up on the one year mark since we purchased our home and it’s really so nice. There are a lot of financial downsides to it but the rest is all positive. Our home is not ‘perfect’– I rather doubt that a truly 100% perfect home exists (because as you change and grow as a person your desires change and so perfection is in the moment) however we did get the vibe of ‘this is the one’ when we walked in for our showing too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

LadyFirebird
                    Participant

Owning your own home–it says it all. I sum it up in one word—FREEDOM! I love being in my own place–can paint the walls any color I want buy and display any type of art I want [Jennifer is glad to hear that], surround myself with pets. Oh the list goes on–and you being up in the mountains! Cool! I hope things work out for you! ๐Ÿ™‚

pipsxlch
                      Participant

Ditto Adaneth.
                        I’d moved out when I was 18, went and moved in with my sis in Cocoa Beach saving for my own place there and sharing expenses in the meanwhile, man was I happy there and to be out, I LOVED Cocoa and the apartment was right on the beach, how awesome it was to be able to walk out and watch the waves and smell the salt first thing in the morning or last thing at night. (holy runon sentence! :negative: ) This was when/where I bought my first Windstones, back in ’86. Then came the phonecall from the family, Grampa had had a bad heart attack and was in the hospital, couldn’t give us a prognosis. He and I were close, the grandparents had raised me and I was a (Grand)Daddy’s little girl. So I called my job, told them i didn’t know when/if I’d be back (they’d all moved to Maine a few years before), got a plane ticket that afternoon and was there the next day. Grampa recovered from that one; he lasted another couple years. But when I got back, the “I need money for this/that/rent” from my mom and “You have to be the man for the family/ take care of Nana now” (yes I’m female) started, before the dust settled I was broke and trapped, no more Cocoa Beach for me. Ah well, I have NEVER regretted getting to spend Grampa’s last couple years with him, and my Nana and I got much closer afterwards. She died in ’05, and I was still with her, I owed her. My mom has managed to keep me financially tied since leaving Cocoa, though. Got back to Florida (all of us left), but the wages here are low and the rents very high, until the crash real estate was too. Couldn’t afford to be out of work for schooling (as if I could afford schooling), otherwise it’s just high school diploma/ some college jobs and for all my looking I was never able to find a place I could afford by myself on my salary. My mom managed to guilt trip me anyhow into what would happen to her if I left. Once my daughter was born I figured that was the nail in the coffin on getting out on my own, she deserved having more family than a messed up me which I couldn’t afford anyhow.
                        My husband and I are living here still. We are trying to find a place. There are places around we could afford if we could get a mortgage, with all the foreclosures around here. Unfortunately, investors are snapping them up and still charging high rents. (funny how real estate prices have dropped but rents haven’t!) Talking to the realtors, the mortgage companies won’t finance ‘distressed’ places, which just about all of these are. They must be pretty much perfect to mortgage. So they are going for cash buyers. What with a credit problem my husband is trying to fix also, getting those people to talk to you so that the mortgage companies will give you time of day… Guess I’m still stuck here paying rent for a room (which is in foreclosure itself) and no space really of my own. (sorry for the rant, just been down)

Maria
                        Participant

I’m sorry, Pip. I think it makes the situation just that much harder when you have wonderful memories of a good time that’s past. It can be a goal to work toward again, or it can just make you ache inside. I wish you all the best.

As for me, I sent off my offer last night. Dad helped me; told me to put down 10% less than the asking price since they said the price was negotiable. No reply yet, but it hasn’t been long.
                          Mom is mostly concerned about my safety to and from the chalet; on Saturday we were up there and they’ve already got about 15 inches of snow. My brothers, especially the eldest, keep telling me I’m putting myself in debt for practically the rest of my life (at the rate I’m paying the place down now, I would be, but I hope to earn more as I get older, of course.) Also, there’s the factor of tying one’s self down so early on…
                          I want to break out of the rut I feel I’ve gotten into since taking this office job, and I think this is a good way to do it. Due to the lengthy commute, a new job, one with hopefully more action, should follow.

Maria
                          Participant

Adraenyse wrote:

If you purchase and keep an actual piece of “real” property at your age, you will make me envious.

I laughed at my friend when he put everything he had into buying a house when he was 20. He bought a house that was falling to pieces for $35K. Over the last 10 years he’s put some repair and effort into it, and now has a house, that albeit old, is now worth $150K.

I’m currently trying to buy a house as well. We hit a breaking point last week, and decided that our lives would be better if we bought a house outside of the city and drove to work, as opposed to living across the street from work but being cramped in a condo.

The lure of luxury living has past. Now I want SPACE.

Way to go for your friend. ๐Ÿ˜€ The chalet I’ve offered on isn’t that old – forty years or so, and it’s in good repair. It has its own spring and is surrounded by federally protected moor, so I won’t ever have to worry about getting new neighbors. I would never live in a city; I think I’d make a good hermit.

Good luck with your house hunt. I know about needing space. That’s the reason I suddenly looked around for my own spot. When I’m piling hardcovers and the floor and can’t walk through my room without tripping on leathers and motorcycle care products, I know I’ve outgrown my room.

Anonymous

Greater Basilisk wrote:

keep telling me I’m putting myself in debt for practically the rest of my life

If you own or rent, you will always have a housing cost. At least, by owning, you build equity, and you can do what you want with the property. You will (normally) increase your salary every year, but your mortgage will always go down, so by starting early you have the best possible financial situation, even if you are broke now.

You’re my role model, and yesterday I signed off on a 3 year old house. I will be flat broke for the next 6-8 months, the macaroni and cheese eating kind of broke, because I have to borrow most of my down payment. Will it be worth it? Absolutely. Will I think that in 3 months when I’m stuck at home eating macaroni? No.. but I’ll get over it.

But hey.. this means I’ll have my broadcasting studio room finally.

We move on December 15th. In the meantime we are going to panic pack and leave our “luxurious” penthouse condo and go move in with the in-laws or parents so we can save that rent money and put it to the down payment.

But enough hijacking from me, congrats on making such a mature and positive step to your future GB. :yes:

Jennifer
                              Keymaster

*highfives you both*

I will be in debt for our home for decades (I don’t think my income will go up, hah!) but you know what? Making that mortgage payment each month feels a hell of a lot better than making a rent payment each month. ๐Ÿ˜€

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                                My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 211 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.