fbpx

Kinda worried.

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Kinda worried.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Purplecat
    Participant

A few weeks ago I got outbid on a white male and after the auction my husband (whom I didn’t know had bid against me but lost also) got a second chance notice. The seller asked if the money could be sent western union as he was on a business trip out of country. Since the money was sent we’ve not heard from him except once when he asked us to resend the western union info. We did but he’s not contacted us since. The seller was “theindigomoon” and they have a good rating. Did we get scammed? Why would western union work but not paypal? Or am I just over anxious?

Purplecat
      Participant

Yeah…western union is always a bad idea. There is no way to get a refund with them.
        BUT that doesn’t mean you are being scammed….request his phone number from ebay and call him.

Krimsen
        Participant

My dad almost got scammed on a second chance offer. The seller freaked out when he wouldn’t pay by paypal.

Ebay recommends that before you pay you contact the seller through my messages to confirm they are the ones who have actually sent the offer. And they must have sent it through the ebay system otherwise it is definitely fake – it should show up in your MyEbay page under items won. But you still need paypal to protect your money.

But here is an article on second chance scamming:

If you’ve used EBay at all, you probably know the tension of bidding on an item – and losing at the last minute. But what would you do if the seller contacted you after and offered you a second chance to buy the item? You might want to be careful, because in many cases, it’s a scam.

How It Works
          After you lose an auction, you receive an official looking e-mail offering you that second chance to buy the item you bid on. Click on the link and you’re taken to a site that looks like EBay, where you give your credit card details or arrange to send your money, believing you’re buying the item.
          The problem is, the site isn’t real. Instead, although it looks perfect in every detail, it’s set up by a hacker. Once you’ve given those credit card details, your money has gone – and so possibly, has your identity.

It’s become a pervasive EBay scam. In 2004 a Welsh teenager was convicted of conning more than 100 people out of £45,000 with such a scam, and he’s just the tip of the iceberg. According to computer security experts, hundreds of thousands of such e-mails are sent every month. If only a small percentage respond, that’s a lot of money.

It’s a variation of the scam known as “phishing,” an attempt to lure you to a fake web site and steal your financial information.

How To Avoid The Scam
          Real second-chance offers will come to you through “My Messages” in eBay, not in an e-mail. You can find this by logging into the “My EBay” area (at the top of your screen as you log in).
          Read the mail carefully. How is the spelling and the grammar? Fake offers frequently have very bad English.
          Run your mouse over the link. At the bottom of the screen you’ll see a different web address, the real one. The address typed into the mail is a fake.
          Consider downloading the free EBay toolbar, which flashes when it believes a browser is pointed to a fraudulent web site (to get it, go to the ‘Services’ link at the top of any eBay auction page, scroll down in ‘Tools” to “eBay Downloads”).
          Check the EBay ID of the sender. Beware if the user name on the email is not the name of original seller. That could be because a seller has more than one user name, but it should raise red flags.
          Contact the original seller to determine if the offer is real.
          Be suspicious if the supposed EBay mails suggest payment through Western Union. Once the transaction is complete, the recipient becomes untraceable. Also, it’s never EBay policy to recommend payment this way.

What To Do If you’re A Victim
          Sadly, if you do become a victim of the second chance scam, there’s little anyone can do to help you. Report the incident to the police, but in all honesty they don’t have the resources to follow up. Report it to EBay, of course. But in situations like this, their resources are limited.
          If you’ve given credit card information, inform the credit reference agency and your credit card company. You might be able to dispute the charge, and you should have a fraud alert placed on your credit file, as you would for identity theft.

Remember that EBay does run a legitimate second-chance service, which sellers can use when the highest bidder drops out. But always check it out carefully first – never take anything at face value!

purplecat wrote:

A few weeks ago I got outbid on a white male and after the auction my husband (whom I didn’t know had bid against me but lost also) got a second chance notice. The seller asked if the money could be sent western union as he was on a business trip out of country. Since the money was sent we’ve not heard from him except once when he asked us to resend the western union info. We did but he’s not contacted us since. The seller was “theindigomoon” and they have a good rating. Did we get scammed? Why would western union work but not paypal? Or am I just over anxious?

If he was on a business trip and out of the country that should be your first clue not to accept it. I hope it isn’t a scam, but you should definately try some other measures.

Krimsen
          Participant

I hope it is not a scam too. Let us know…

Purplecat
            Participant

Yep. We were scammed. My husband’s new to ebay and wanted to surprise me with him as a gift. Didn’t know not to use western union as payment. Turns out my husband wasnt even contacted through ebay but he didn’t know cause the link really looked like ebay. I really wanted a white dragon in my collection too. Cant afford another 160 for a dragon I’ll didn’t receive. My husband’s furious and I think I might cry. 😥 😥 😥 😥 😥

Aw thats awfull purple cat *hugs*

Purplecat
              Participant

Well, I just really wanted the male in every color and white is a pain in the #*&@! to find. If it had been an authentic offer he would have been a bargain. My husband didn’t even tell me about the whole thing til after he had already sent the money cause he knows I love watching for my new dragons. I’ll never take another second chance offer again. 😥 😥 😥

Rusti
                Participant

Taking second chance offers is OK, as long as you log into my ebay and look for them instead of going through your email.

That really sucks in the worst kind of way. I’m sorry it happened to you!

I am sorry, that sucks to be out the money and the dragon. I hope there is someway you will get your money back.
                  There is this one tho:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170098772970&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:us

Purplecat
                  Participant

Thank you. I will try on this guy, but I hope he doesnt go too high for obvious reasons.

Krimsen
                    Participant

Did he use a credit card? Because he may be able to fight the charge through his credit card company as fraud.

Your welcome purplecat.

That is another good point, tsija. I was thinking that myself.

Jodi
                      Participant

You may want to contact your credit card company too, for another reason. If the scammer got that information, they could steal your identity.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.