fbpx

Job Search…. update (probably last) pg 9.

Home Forums Miscellany Community Job Search…. update (probably last) pg 9.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    LadyFirebird
    Participant

A lot of people are struggling in this economy. I have be surrounded with bad news for a while from my friends having financial troubles, lay offs and the such and the near impossibility of finding another job! Making $13 HR in one place is different in another. Out where I live $13 HR wouldn’t get you very far—I’ve known people that have paid $900 a month for some shack in the mountains that is barely 1,000 square feet if that. That same shack would be $1500 to $1800 a month down here in town.

I am hearing some good news thought–little strides here and there and it gives me hope. You have to do what is best for you–companies don’t care–we’re a dime a dozen right now. This post gives me hope because you are getting more than one offer! Unheard of in these times! I wish you the best and hope that everyone can find employment to at least cover their bills.

machineguts
      Participant

I agree, this is very encouraging to hear Dragon87! Definitely keep us updated on what happens!

Here $1000 barely get you a bedroom in someones basement XD .

I know you didnt mean to make anyone feel bad eaglefeather, just trying to put things in perspective is all :hi: .

Katherine
        Participant

ruffian wrote:

Here $1000 barely get you a bedroom in someones basement XD .

I know you didnt mean to make anyone feel bad eaglefeather, just trying to put things in perspective is all :hi: .

It’s a good thing you did because I really had no idea! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you! 8) 8)

Bob

Prices have finally leveled off a bit here
            we used to also be in the $1000 a month barley getting you a room in someones basement but things have gotten a bit better
            I wich I had never bought my place though that is for sure!!
            I paid $197,000 for an 853 sq ft 2 bedroom 1 bath condo
            condo’s in Livermore now about $220,000 for a 3 bedroom so my co-worker at CVS just told me he bought with his mom’s help and I make GREAT money for this area
            with my diff it’s about $28 on hour my problem is I brought WAY too much debt into buying the condo and bought several things for the house after and not I’m paying the piper
            Usually we get a TON of OT during the rain and I got it the first 2 years I owned the condo and figured I was GREAT, which where my Windstone splurge years but the last 3 years or so not much rain at all and very little OT
            JUST the IRS takes about 25% State takes about 10% then we have state disability and some more things that get about 15% so it ends up at about 1/2 well all is said and done
            I make $10.70 at my 2nd job and that seemed low to me for tha area but it has helped me get food and gas

Jennifer
            Keymaster

LadyFirebird wrote:

A lot of people are struggling in this economy. I have be surrounded with bad news for a while from my friends having financial troubles, lay offs and the such and the near impossibility of finding another job! Making $13 HR in one place is different in another. Out where I live $13 HR wouldn’t get you very far—I’ve known people that have paid $900 a month for some shack in the mountains that is barely 1,000 square feet if that. That same shack would be $1500 to $1800 a month down here in town.

Quoted for truth! With the economy the way it is, when people have to tighten their belts, the first things to go are luxury items, and art is a luxury (not a necessity.. unless you are the one making it, then you feel as if you’d die if you don’t keep making it! Haha!! XD ). This is bad news for me as I make my income 100% off of selling luxury items, so I will continue to struggle until people have more ‘fun money’ again. I accept this and I knew it when I decided to follow this career. Doesn’t make it any easier but there it is! ๐Ÿ™‚

And that’s totally true- what you make can either break you or not depending on where you live. If I made what I do in other parts of the country, say California or NYC, I’d be on the streets in no time, bankrupt and starving. The only reason my tiny earnings can support me at all is that I lived in a very economically depressed area where the cost of living is a bit lower. This is great because I can afford to live! This is also terrible because there is no economy for things like art around here (vs. say, some areas of California!) OR high paying jobs of ANY sort… So it’s absolutely a trade-off and one that I struggle to balance every day.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

One other thing about the Dragon87’s $13/hr that hasn’t been addressed… is that $13/hr CAN or USD? Because if it’s Canadian, then it amounts to even less Stateside. I don’t know the current exchange rate, but the Canadian dollar is always “weaker” than the USD, hence the price discrepency between book cover prices, etc.

Kyrraven wrote:

One other thing about the Dragon87’s $13/hr that hasn’t been addressed… is that $13/hr CAN or USD? Because if it’s Canadian, then it amounts to even less Stateside. I don’t know the current exchange rate, but the Canadian dollar is always “weaker” than the USD, hence the price discrepency between book cover prices, etc.

It’s $13/hour CDN. So yes, it’s less then the $13/hour USD would be… but that doesn’t affect too much up here.

Apparently the other place pays minimum $28/hour if I heard right. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ He might have meant $28,000 per year, which I hope not because that’s what $13/hour approximates to… well, close enough. But I think he meant per hour.

eaglefeather831 wrote:

You are too sweet. I am very happy for you, and that this job will probably pay you more (I hope you get it) but since I have been looking for a job for so long, I kept on reading the posts and thinking, I want that too!! You are too sweet, but I didn’t mean to make you feel bad in any way.

Don’t worry bout it. I was just trying to explain, is all. And I would give you my job if I could!! I do mean that, and I really hope that you find something that works for you!

And Jen, how you live off of $2/hour confounds me. I’d have to do more the tighten my belt with that, and I applaud your tenacity and determination to keep at it.

And if I get this job, my first luxury purchase with one of my first paychecks (maybe not the first, but one of them) would be some of your art – I’ve been waiting for a long time to purchase something from you! I even know what I have in mind…. 8)

Dragon87 wrote:

Apparently the other place pays minimum $28/hour if I heard right. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ He might have meant $28,000 per year, which I hope not because that’s what $13/hour approximates to… well, close enough. But I think he meant per hour.

Oh, wow! I hope it’s $28 an hour and that you get the job!

Katherine
              Participant

Kyrraven wrote:

Dragon87 wrote:

Oh, wow! I hope it’s $28 an hour and that you get the job!
                Me too!!
                If I had money to spend on luxury, it would definitely be on Jen’s art!! So if I get this job that I am interviewing for on Monday, i will pay off some debt, and then I could help support you! ๐Ÿ™‚ I would love to just give to people, you know? I want to be in the kind of situation where if someone says that they needed something really bad, I want to be able to get it for them ๐Ÿ™‚

Well, poo. Sorry Jen, guess I won’t be buying your art anytime soon…. :S

I just got turned down by email. *sigh* I suppose it’s better then wondering.

Well, at least I *have* a job. Just $28/hour made me realize that I could be doing so much better then $13/hour. I hope Colin does NOT get a job in Edmonton, then I can quit and move away!!!! ๐Ÿ˜†

Move here!!
                ๐Ÿ˜†

Rachel
                Participant

Dragon87 wrote:

Well, poo. Sorry Jen, guess I won’t be buying your art anytime soon…. :S

I just got turned down by email. *sigh* I suppose it’s better then wondering.

Well, at least I *have* a job. Just $28/hour made me realize that I could be doing so much better then $13/hour. I hope Colin does NOT get a job in Edmonton, then I can quit and move away!!!! ๐Ÿ˜†

If I remember right, your degree/vocation is in science. Unfortunately, the job market in that area has been rough for quite a while now. I’m surprised that there’s a place hiring for $28 an hour!!

Maria
                  Participant

Sorry about the rejection, Dragon87. But I’m glad you have a job, an income – and I’m sure it helps not to be worrying about choices anymore!
                    May I ask – was the rejection a form letter or was there a specific reason they decided against you?

machineguts
                    Participant

So very true!!

Jennifer wrote:

LadyFirebird wrote:

Quoted for truth! With the economy the way it is, when people have to tighten their belts, the first things to go are luxury items, and art is a luxury (not a necessity.. unless you are the one making it, then you feel as if you’d die if you don’t keep making it! Haha!! XD ). This is bad news for me as I make my income 100% off of selling luxury items, so I will continue to struggle until people have more ‘fun money’ again. I accept this and I knew it when I decided to follow this career. Doesn’t make it any easier but there it is! ๐Ÿ™‚

And that’s totally true- what you make can either break you or not depending on where you live. If I made what I do in other parts of the country, say California or NYC, I’d be on the streets in no time, bankrupt and starving. The only reason my tiny earnings can support me at all is that I lived in a very economically depressed area where the cost of living is a bit lower. This is great because I can afford to live! This is also terrible because there is no economy for things like art around here (vs. say, some areas of California!) OR high paying jobs of ANY sort… So it’s absolutely a trade-off and one that I struggle to balance every day.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 142 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.