fbpx

If you had to choose one?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone If you had to choose one?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Travistie
    Participant

SilverArrow wrote:

tc_cat333 wrote:

Would Windstones be ruined if they got soaked??

Yeppers. So even if they didn’t get burned, they would be ruined by the water that the firefighters use.

Oddly, my choice wouldn’t be my most expensive piece.

It would be my mother unicorn…..and if I had another free hand it would be my cat wizard.

Sorry if this is a stupid question… but, is there something special mixed in with the fire depts. water that would cause damage to a windstone? Or can they still be ruined after being soaked in just regular water?

Jennifer
      Keymaster

I don’t think soaking would necessarily ruin a windstone. Prolonged exposure to water would, and we never recommend getting your piece wet often or even at all (a damp cloth to wipe it down is about as far as I’d go), but Melody has washed hers off with a hose and in the sink before so I wouldn’t go as far as to say they’d be ruined.

The felt pad might get kinda gross though.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Participant

travistie wrote:

SilverArrow wrote:

tc_cat333 wrote:

Would Windstones be ruined if they got soaked??

Yeppers. So even if they didn’t get burned, they would be ruined by the water that the firefighters use.

Oddly, my choice wouldn’t be my most expensive piece.

It would be my mother unicorn…..and if I had another free hand it would be my cat wizard.

Sorry if this is a stupid question… but, is there something special mixed in with the fire depts. water that would cause damage to a windstone? Or can they still be ruined after being soaked in just regular water?

Regular water can do it. Apparently gypsum absorbs water. So if you the base get soaked, special care should be taken to dry it out. We can wipe down most Windstones with a cloth and water because the paint and sealant protect it.

As for something mixed in the water by the fire department, I don’t know.

And there are no stupid questions. Better to ask and know than to remain silent and in the dark.

EDIT: See Nam’s response above. She is all knowing! 😀

Jennifer
          Keymaster

SilverArrow wrote:

EDIT: See Nam’s response above. She is all knowing! 😀

Hehe, no I’m not! 😆 You’re totally right, I forgot to mention that. It’s in your best interest not to submerge a windstone in water.

Melody has a story, and I cannot remember the exact details, but someone put a young peacock dragon in a fish tank as an ornament. She said it was in there for many many years and finally the people that had it (I digress, but I think they were a past dealer) tried to return it because it was starting to deteriorate somehow. Maybe just the felt pad. I can’t remember. Point is, they are tough! But you should treat them like what they are- a fine art collectible, not an aquarium ornament. 😉

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Skigod377
            Participant

I remember that! Yeah, they said it was defective and they wanted a replacement/refund or something 😆

Travistie
              Participant

😯 How could anyone even think about putting a Windstone in a fish tank! That’s total craziness!

I kinda figured that the felt pad on the bottom would get ruined if it were soaked in water, but wasn’t sure about the actual statue. I would never ever submerge my guys in water. Only gentle cleanings with a damp cloth as Nam said.

darjeb
                Participant

My Dog – I had just moved into an apartment with a gas stove – I didn’t even have a nodding acquaintance with a gas stove always had electric. Anyway I put the pots and pans in the bottom drawer and with a gas stove that is the broiler. Unfortunatey I also put the microwave bacon rack in there. Later I turned the oven on and when it got hot the bacon rack burst into flames and the flames were shooting up the back of the stove. I panicked threw Starfire out the door and screamed help fire. A man ran over with a small fire extinguisher and put it out. The fire department came along with the apartment manager. The manager apologized to me and said in the future all new renters would be told about a gas stove. Fortunately nothing was damaged and the lady across the aisle worked for a company that made equipment for fire depts. and she gave me a spray can of something that completely got rid of any smell from the fire. When re-telling this story later I could laugh about this but not then.

As far as which Windstone – as many as I could grab but first my white emperor

Skigod377
                  Participant

You know… when there was a fire in my basement, I grabbed my son, let the dogs out, and waited for the fire dept. I guess when it came down to it, I grabbed the only things that really mattered. That was before my scratcher, though, so maybe that would not be the case now. 😆

Going by the spirit of the original question (given that if there was a fire at my house I’d first have to drive down town before I could rescue my own prized Windstone from the back room of the store), the one I would scoop up before thinking of any other would be the Mushroom Candlelamp. This one is probably not top on many peoples’ lists, but it’s top on mine.

(Edited to give “Windstone” a capital “W”)

Skigod377
                    Participant

The Castle [Dave wrote:

“]Going by the spirit of the original question (given that if there was a fire at my house I’d first have to drive down town before I could rescue my own prized Windstone from the back room of the store), the one I would scoop up before thinking of any other would be the Mushroom Candlelamp. This one is probably not top on many peoples’ lists, but it’s top on mine.

(Edited to give “Windstone” a capital “W”) That is a very interesting choice! Sentimental value?

Pam

I would rescue my old white mother, hands down. All my other windstones could be replaced (with a couple thousand dolars or so) but my white mother was my first Windstone. Got her when I was 8. Took her everywhere with me. School photos, vacations, sleep-overs.. Every single chip on her has a story behind it. She has so much centimental value, she could never be replaced.

Laurie
                        Participant

There is nothing special mixed in with the water from the fire department. Its the same water from your tap. The only time they mix stuff in it would be for special fires or hazmats.

skigod377 wrote:

The Castle [Dave wrote:

“]… Mushroom Candlelamp …

That is a very interesting choice! Sentimental value?

I grew up across the road from a large wood, and spent the happiest days of my childhood surrounded by trees and woodland life and grassy clearings and decaying vegetation. And I love mushrooms, and mushrooms remind me of how all living things coexist and are part of the animate Earth.

The Mushroom Ring Candlelamp is a stunningly great sculpture, and I feel privileged to own one.

SilverDragon
                          Participant

Hmm….. it would have to be my peacock male dragon. Just because he is soo special to me–he started the collection. 😀

Author of “Moonlight Walkers” book and artist for the Trail of Painted Ponies Co.
                            Follow for updates: twitter.com/cmooreauthor

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.