fbpx

I finally finished my wolf – updated pics 5/4

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone I finally finished my wolf – updated pics 5/4

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Pegasi1978
    Participant

I’ve not gotten very far. Only did the base coat tonight and it turned out much darker than I wanted so I’ll probably try to lighten it somehow.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/pegasi1978/windstone/grayfront.jpg
      http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/pegasi1978/windstone/grayback.jpg

I’m trying to make it look similar to this painting, that’s why I say the base coat came out too dark.

http://www.goldenwolfen.com/galleries/2005/autumnjester.jpg

Pegasi1978
      Participant

Andrea
        Participant

I really like the drawing. Did you draw it? The base coat doesn’t look too dark, but it’s not as blue as the picture.

Maria
          Participant

Isn’t the drawing one of vantid’s? If you can copy the design it’ll look great, peg. It looks like you got some paint on his eye – did you cover the eyes?

Pegasi1978
            Participant

Goodness No I didn’t draw it. Christy “Goldenwolf” Grandjean did. I couldn’t draw to save my life.

And the base coat isn’t blue it’s gray. 4 parts white and 1 part black. I tried adding a lot more white to the left over paint that was still usable and it’s a little lighter now, not much though.

Yeah I got some paint on the eye. I couldn’t find my masking tape before I started tonight and I wasn’t paying $8 for the smallest bottle of masking fluid if I’m only doing a few PYOs. I plan on gently scraping any paint off the eyes with a toothpick when I finish.

drag0nfeathers
              Participant

I have that same picture I was going to try and make a wolf from. I just never got around to it. Blah! I think the colors is good though, I’d add some brighter/ more royal blue into some parts though.

Got a busted Windstone?
                drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                Calypso Hatching Empress
                Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                Tattoo Mother Kirin
                Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Pegasi1978
                Participant

Well I got around to putting more colors on my wolfie tonight after putting my two-year-old son to bed. This is how it is looking now:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/pegasi1978/windstone/jayfront.jpg
                  http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/pegasi1978/windstone/jayfrontangle.jpg
                  http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/pegasi1978/windstone/jayback.jpg
                  http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/pegasi1978/windstone/jaybutt.jpg

I know it’s rough and no where near as good as some of the one’s I’ve seen here. I can’t figure out blending and shading for the life of me.

Still have to antique it and decide if I’m gonna add any interference. Have any of you worked with the powdered type interference paints? They didn’t have a liquid interference blue when I went to the store so I got this powdered stuff. I’ve tried playing with it on something else, but I’m not sure I’m using it right, any tips?

Oh and excuse the lighting…I love in base housing and the lighting inside really sucks. The blue is actually a little darker. I’ll try to get some pictures outside tomorrow if it’s a nice sunny day like it was today.

Andrea
                  Participant

It’s so hard to replicate a drawing. The difference I see with the face markings is the drawing doesn’t have a black mask, but the black should be shaped almost like a heart around the face. I think if you could change that it would make a big difference. Right now he kinda looks like a racoon.

He’s cute just the same. It’s a big undertaking to do jay wings!
                    Hopefully Dragon or Arlla will explain the blending and interference for you. I can only blend when the paint is wet so I’m not sure how you would blend two colors that are already dry.

He’s very cool!

Pegasi1978
                    Participant

Yeah I relize it kind of looks like ‘coon eyes, but it looked so wierd when I had some grey running through there. Maybe I’ll try to go back to it.

And oops I did miss the bit that is supposed to connect the two parts. Almost got the heart shape though. That’s something eaiser to fix and I’ll probably do it here in a little bit before the paint on my plate dries.

Pegasi1978
                      Participant

I’ve gone back and made some major changes on my wolf. I wasn’t happy with how the paint scheme turned out so I scrubbed him clean and tried again. It came out even worse (I didn’t even take a photo).

The first two times I was trying to do the blue jay coloration the wolf kept trying to tell me it wanted to be black, but I just wasn’t listening. Well I finally did and this is what I have now.

I added in the last picture without the flash because it’s a little more true to life on the actual coloration than the other three.

For the shimmery blue and purple on the wings I mixed some Pearl Ex Pigments (interference blue and interference violet) with my Liquitex Value Series Basics Matt Mars Black paint. I’m considering mixing some of the pigments in with my gloss medium & varnish (one product not two) painting them and then using the varnish by itself to seal the PYO.

I haven’t decided if I want to antique the wolf yet or not. I was considering mixing up a gray. Have to do some more thinking on that though. So what does everyone think?

Skigod377
                        Participant

I think it looks alot better than it did before. I like the colors and it has nice depth.

Pegasi1978
                          Participant

skigod377 wrote:

I think it looks alot better than it did before. I like the colors and it has nice depth.

I’m definately liking it better than before. The other pattern was a little two complex for a painting novice like me.

lamortefille
                            Participant

He looks likes he’s carved out of slate. Really neat!

Starbreeze
                              Participant

I really like this wolf!!

Maria
                                Participant

You chose the feather colors well so they don’t clash with the body. When I look at him, I think he could be a big stone guard on one of those palace entrances – and just the sheen of his wings betrays that he comes alive at night. 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.