fbpx

I feel stupid…suggestions?

Home Forums Miscellany Community I feel stupid…suggestions?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    Leigha
    Participant

Leigha
      Participant

Okay, so here’s what I did.

I found a seller selling three dragons on Craigslist for 10 bucks each. I emailed him. He emailed me back. He said he’d has someone else interested, but that the woman still hasn’t paid and that he didn’t think she was going to. He told me to send a money order or check to him, and he’d pack them up and send them to me. We discussed packing and all that good stuff, it seemed good to me. He lives in the same state I do, about 8 hours drive away. I sent him a postal money order because I couldn’t find my check book that day. I figure it should get to him pretty quickly since he’s so close. About a week goes by and I haven’t heard from him if he’s gotten it or anything, no email, no dragons. So I send him two emails within the next few days asking him if he’s gotten the money order yet. No response. So then I log onto the forum and lo and behold, another forum member has recieved these dragons and is happily planning on cleaning them (no ill will for the member, totally glad she got them and that she’s happy, it was an awesome deal) So, I have the guy’s phone number, but I hate talking on the phone so I haven’t used it til this point. But I need answers so I call him. First thing I do is say Hi and tell him who I am. He says my dragons are in the mail in a bewildered voice. Ah, but I am in contact with the lady who you did sell the dragons to, I am the other lady who was interested in your dragons. Well he says oh…well I have lots of things…other dragons…and then hangs up on me. I call back and leave him a pleasant message (since of course he didn’t answer his cellphone knowing it was me who was calling) telling him that it was rude for him to hang up on me and that I’d like him to call me back, I leave my phone number. He calls back right away and I tell him I’m not interested in any other dragons or any other things, I wanted those specific dragons, since he’s already sold them to another person, I’d like my money sent back to me. He tells me that he’d had three people interested in the dragons, he told each person to send him money for them, he took the person who sent him the money first, and he has sent the other two people’s checks back. He said “your check is already in the mail back to you.” I then reminded him it was a Postal Money Order, not a check. He then hangs up on me again. So, I go to the post office and ask if the money orders can be cancelled, or if I they can check if it’s been cashed yet. They tell me no. So I give this man another week. I called again today. I say Hi, told him who I was…and he hung up on me again…I called right back and left him another voice message, “that was very rude, I just wanted to know whether you sent my money order back to me or not, please call me back” left my phone number. About half an hour later, I call back, he answers, “Before you hang up I’d just like to know whether you sent my money order back or not” CLICK he hangs up on me again.

I’m at a loss on what I should do.

Does anyone have any advice?

I spoke to the postal worker for advice. He said With my money order I have to wait 30 days before I can file a claim with them. I then have to pay 3-4 dollars to have a bank tell me whether it’s been cashed yet or not. And if it isn’t cashed, I can fill out paper work to have it given back to me. If it is cashed, there’s nothing I can do. He gave me the postal inspectors number, but I haven’t called that yet.
        I was hoping this guy was going to do the right thing, but it doesn’t sound like it.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions? I’d appreciate any help I can get with this, I’ve never used Craigslist before and it looks like I never will again.

Stephanie
        Participant

Yikes. What a nightmare. And, honestly…whoever’s money got to him first? That’s outrageous. Who does that? Plus, he’s being extremely rude.

No advice here, I’m just being indignant for you. *stomps her foot*

I hope it works out!

Leigha
          Participant

thanks, I’m trying real hard not to get pissed off yet. I’m trying to be pleasant…

But it’s been over a week, and by now, even if he hadn’t shipped it the day I called and waited until the next day, it should have been here. USPS is slow, but not that slow.

siberakh1
            Participant

I’d personally do a stop on the money order if it hasn’t been cashed yet. Better to be out a few dollars and not have it in his hands if you aren’t getting anything in return. I honestly would have done that the minute I knew you wouldn’t be getting the dragons and that they went to someone else (considering the guy hung up, I would have thought that was rather fishy).

purpledragonclaw
              Participant

Leigha, I’m sorry about this. You try to trust in the good will of people, and there’s always one or two bad apples that give everyone a bad reputation. πŸ˜₯ E-bay is based off the principle of good will. I hate to say this, but it sounds like you may have to eat this. I’ve lost almost a hundred dollars in a similar situation, but the difference was I received my item (not as described) and the seller ducked and dodged me and wouldn’t even try to work things out. The effort you would have to go through to get your money order back has no guarantee, especially if he’s cashed it (which I think he has). Don’t let this turn you off from Craigslist entirely, though. I have family members who can vouch for it, they managed to snag some HTF items off of it. Just remember who this guy is (like you’ll forget) so you don’t have to deal with him again. But don’t let him sour you to everyone. He’s just one rude guy who makes all the others just out to make a living or do the right thing look bad. Sorry you had to go through this. πŸ™

Andrea
                Participant

That’s so wrong. Unfortunately other than taking him to small claims court, there’s not much you can do. And even then, you would have to prove he was the one who took your money and not someone just playing with you on the phone.

I’d at the very least write what’s happened out and keep posting your story in the different sections of craigslist so everyone knows about it and serve as a warning.

Do you want to say how much? If the $ is over a certain amount, the police have to file a report.

I’m really sorry this happened to you. I wish dishonest people would be struck down by lightening! 😈 Or better yet, branded so everyone can see what a piece of **it they are.

Leigha
                  Participant

siberakh1 wrote:

I’d personally do a stop on the money order if it hasn’t been cashed yet. Better to be out a few dollars and not have it in his hands if you aren’t getting anything in return. I honestly would have done that the minute I knew you wouldn’t be getting the dragons and that they went to someone else (considering the guy hung up, I would have thought that was rather fishy).

The postal service told me there was no way to do a stop on the money order. I could wait 30 days and then pay the 3-4 dollar fee to find out if it was cashed and then fill out paper work to have it returned to me if it wasn’t cashed. But there’s no way to just stop it is what I was told.

Purple: Thanks, I probably won’t quit Craigslist all together, but I don’t know if I’ll be using a money order or a check, I’ll just stick to paypal.

Phoenix: 55.00 25 for shipping and 10 for each dragon. I didn’t mind shipping being so high since I knew I was getting a good deal in the first place.

Skigod377
                    Participant

Dang… I dont think there is much you can do besides drive down there and confront him. He has probably cashed your money order. M/O’s are not really the best way to conduct a transaction with a person you dont know and with no receipt. What a jerk. I suppose you can keep calling everyday and just hang up on him. Maybe he can be the person you call and curse at whenever you are pissed. πŸ˜€ I Hope he sent it back to you and I hope he catches herpes.

Jodi
                      Participant

It sounds like he’s taken your money and is now doing his best to avoid you. He’s not going to talk to you, and I seriously doubt that he will return your money. He got it for nothing, and unless you want to track him down with some big brutes along with you (and then he may have a gun, so I do NOT recommend this course of action), you will get nothing back from this guy.

I’ve never bought anything from Craigslist, and I’m not sure I would at this point. There’s been lots of news stories here of people ordering something (usually prostitutes) from Craigslist and getting mugged or beat up for their efforts. There is no way to leave feedback for people, and they are not held accountable by Craigslist, unlike eBay, for their actions.

Sorry to say it, but I think you are just out your money.

Argh, πŸ‘Ώ some people are just rotten. I’m sorry you got taken. It’s okay to be pissed off!

I don’t think there is really anything you can do. This is why I only deal with people in person when selling through these classified sites. I hope he has a change of heart and does give you back the money.

Lokie
                        Participant

Wow, I’m so sorry. And unbelievable angry at this person, and it didn’t even happen to me! What a jerk! πŸ‘Ώ

Personally, I’d spend the 3 or 4 bucks to see if the MO was cashed. I’m predicting it was, but this way if it wasn’t, you’ll get your money back, and if it was, you have confirmation the person is a thief. Up to you if you want to potentially sink another $4 into that transaction.

If he did cash it, you can sue him in small claims court. It’s probably not practical, though, because besides all your time and effort, some courts charge a fee for opening a small claim. It’s probably only worth it if you wanted to prove a point instead of recovering money.

I wonder if the other person was a forum member (if there really was another interested party) and if they received their money back ❓

Anyway, I’m sorry πŸ™ This guy sounds like a true prince πŸ™„

Leigha
                          Participant

Thanks everyone, I figured I was probably screwed on this one. I appreciate all the input.

Any ideas on contacting the postal inspector? I have no idea what he does, but that’s who the postal worker I talked to recommended me talking to. He gave me the number.

Katherine
                            Participant

Oh wow! I am baffled as to what he did! I don’t have any advice, but if you know where he lives, maybe you can confront him, but maybe ask a police officer to go with you while you talk to him, just to make sure nothing happens to you. That’s all I can think of.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 152 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.