fbpx

Horrible day….

Home Forums Miscellany Community Horrible day….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Xtharsa
    Participant

So I just had the worst day in a while. First I woke up sick and had to go to class which was stressful. The we took our puppy to the beach dog park. It was going well he was playing with the other dogs. This pitbull seemed to be extra playful. During the play drake got knocked over some how and of nowhwhere the pit attaks him and tears his neck open… the owner was trying to seperate them while I ran over. Ithen kicked that dog as hard as I could in the backside when he wouldn’t release. He let go imediatly and the owner drag him away. Drake was able bite that dog in the face as a defence but we didnt get there fast enough. The owner claims he will pay the bill after they get their next paycheck because they spent all their money on their dog. We have all their info and we went to the same vet so they know whats going on too…If they dont get back to me or give more excuses I think I’m just going to report their dog to animal control I have proof that they confesed in front of the vet that their dog attacked ours without probable cause…any advice? I’m just so upset I couldnt even afford pain killers for the dog…he’s in pain but all I could afford was the treatment and antibiotics.

Xtharsa
      Participant

Katherine
        Participant

Oh my gosh-I feel so sorry for Drake. 🙁 What kind of a puppy is he? I sure hope that those owners do not rip you off, and I believe that you should report the pit anyway, because it could do that to another dog….or child.

Heather
          Participant

Criminy, Xtharsa, what a rotten day. 🙁 Poor Drake. I’m glad that he’s on antibiotics, and maybe warm compresses will help. Avoid using human painkillers on him, though (Tylenol, ibuprofen, aspirin, codeine, etc)–they can do some bad things to dogs. If he takes it easy he should start feeling better in a couple of days.

They were out of cash because they spent all their money on the pit bull? A pity they didn’t spend more of that money on training classes with the dog! For it to ignore its master in a situation like that was very bad. And for them to not know their dog better was also a bad sign. That is definitely not a dog to have off his leash in a public place, and I’m not impressed with the judgement of his owners either. :negative:

Skylover
            Participant

So sorry that this happened to you. I had a similar incident happen with my dog Keiko. My dog got attacked by another dog while we were out on a walk. I pulled them apart as soon as I could (the other owner had no control over her dog whatsoever), but the damage was already done. Like you dog mine bit the other in the face in self defense. The owner was really apologetic about everything until the time came to pay for the vet bills. She then changed her story and tried to pin the blame on my dog. I had no witnesses to back me up and animal control basically told me that if I didn’t have anyone who could refute her story that all they could tell was that there was a dog fight since both dogs had injuries. Since both dogs were large and I had no witnesses to the incident, I was afraid that a strike would come down against my dog. Did you have any witnesses there that would be able to say the owner of the pit bull accepted blame? Otherwise you could end up in a situation similar to mine – down $500 and nothing that can be done about it. I really hope that the person who owns the pit bull in this case is a lot more honest than the person I dealt with. It still angers me thinking about it.

Xtharsa
              Participant

might get stuff from pet meds…the people seemed very dim when it comes to animals(also in early 20’s)…I will call em tommrow and get things squared away. If they don’t comply I’ll hang up and call animal control. They are lucky I didn’t kill their dog I could have kicked it alot harder and alot more. when it comes to my family I’ll fight to the death

Xtharsa
                Participant

every one on the beach 30+ people saw the whole thing and the vet also said the placement of the wounds support the accusation. their dog had to be completly sedated because it wouldnt let the vet touch it. It also was seperated from all the visitors. ours was good and the vets say he didn’t even struggle when they were cleaning out the painful pocket wound and shaving him. There is plenty of evidence.

Skylover
                  Participant

Xtharsa wrote:

every one on the beach 30+ people saw the whole thing and the vet also said the placement of the wounds support the accusation.

Did you get any witness statements, or do you know someone who was there who can provide you with one. If you do, then you should be covered. I totally understand your anger. Some people can be real idiots. Hopefully Drake will be feeling better soon.

Edit: I just read that they confessed to the vet. You should be safe then.

Lokie
                    Participant

I’m so sorry for you and Drake 🙁 I take Leo to the dog park all the time; I’d be horrified and livid if something like that happened. From your retelling, it seems like the owners want to take responsibility, so I’d give them some time to scrap some money together. If they keep giving you the runaround, you could consider small claims court to get back your medical costs.

NirvanaCat13
                      Participant

I have to agree that wether or not the people pay for your vet bills, that dog needs to be reported to animal control ASAP, ESPECIALY if you have the veterinarian as witness to a confession that their pit attacked your poor dog without provication. Since it’s not the vet’s dog that was attacked, I don’t think they can report the pit to animal control, but I may be wrong on this. I agree with Eaglefeather, what if that dog accidentaly knocks down a child and rips it’s throat open? Who knows what will provoke him? If you need to, you can always ask the vet for advice regarding Animal Control. Also, go back to the beach park and see if you can find anyone else who saw the fight, witnesses come in very handy in any disputable situation.

I hope that Drake recovers quickly and isn’t in pain long, Bard’s suggestion of warm compresses can help too. Big hugs and much love to you and your puppy!!!!

dragonmedley
                        Participant

Oh, poor thing, I hope he recovers fast. Pit bulls are now illegal here (not sure if it’s all Canada or only Ontario) and I think this sort of incident was part of the reason.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Pegasi1978
                          Participant

I agree with reporting the dog to animal control now. Wouldn’t want this to happen to a small child, as the dog could seriously harm or even kill it without meaning to.

😡 You don’t have to pay for classes to train a dog, just do some research on techniques. Classes are just nice because you have someone else giving you a hand and your dog can be socialized with other dogs at the same time. If you are going to have a dog out in a public place with other dogs you need to be sure that dog is safe to be out there and if they aren’t then don’t take them. 😡

NirvanaCat13
                            Participant

Xtharsa wrote:

might get stuff from pet meds…the people seemed very dim when it comes to animals(also in early 20’s)…I will call em tommrow and get things squared away. If they don’t comply I’ll hang up and call animal control. They are lucky I didn’t kill their dog I could have kicked it alot harder and alot more. when it comes to my family I’ll fight to the death

Just to clarify, the owners of the pitbull are young, like in their 20s? If that’s so, I’m pissed to the max. In my experience what happens in those cases is the young person/couple just goes and picks out a dog without doing any research into it’s background or watching it interact with other dogs. Usualy takes the breeder’s word that it’s a nice animal (VERY skeptical with pitbulls that one has not raised from a puppy themselves to monitor behavior) Then they assume it will befine with other dogs and kids (because dogs are nice social animals) and take it to a friends house with kids, leave it in their yard/open garage unleashed/ or take it to a dog park. WHAMMO Someone or their kid, or their dog gets seriously injured. My mom is a veterinarian and really dislikes pits for that exact reason, not because of the breed, but because the majority of the people who buy the breed are completely irresponsible about how truely dangerous their dog can be. I know I hear every sob story associated with just about every pitbull my mom sees or hears about, and 9/10 were due to owner ignorance and negligence.

If Pam (DDVM) pops on and sees this, maybe she can give a vets oppinion as well.

I know this is a tough time for you with school and everything, but hang in there and just give Drake lots of TLC! He’ll be healed in no time! Again, lots of hugs!

Jennifer
                              Keymaster

Nirvanacat13 wrote:

My mom is a veterinarian and really dislikes pits for that exact reason, not because of the breed, but because the majority of the people who buy the breed are completely irresponsible about how truely dangerous their dog can be. I know I hear every sob story associated with just about every pitbull my mom sees or hears about, and 9/10 were due to owner ignorance and negligence.

This, exactly. A lot of people say don’t blame the breed, and really I don’t– but they were bred by humans for dog aggression, and owners need to be aware and responsible for this.
                                The owners and the breeder really need to step back and take an assessment for why they are doing what they are doing. Ignorance of people is astounding. When I used to work in pet shops– the ones where your pet is allowed in with you, people were always bringing in dog-aggressive dogs and were always shocked and airheaded when their aggressive dog started attacking the other, passive dogs in the store. The one that made me the angriest was a large dog-aggressive mastiff that the owner had on one of those extend-able leashes, and there was a handicapped lady in the store with a seeing eye dog. The owner negligently let the dog go off on the end of its over-long lead, out of sight around one of the aisles, and attacked the seeing eye dog. The seeing eye dog was so well trained it didn’t attack back but tried to protect its handicapped owner. We had to rush the seeing eye dog over to the in-store vet for it’s wounds… all the while the owner of the mastiff was trying to play it down as the dog was ‘not normally like this! He’s very good at home!’ … yeah, where there are no other dogs! Yeesh.
                                I have known a responsible breeder and trainer of pits and the difference is amazing.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                                My art: featherdust.com

Rachel
                                Participant

Jennifer wrote:

The one that made me the angriest was a large dog-aggressive mastiff that the owner had on one of those extend-able leashes, and there was a handicapped lady in the store with a seeing eye dog. The owner negligently let the dog go off on the end of its over-long lead, out of sight around one of the aisles, and attacked the seeing eye dog. The seeing eye dog was so well trained it didn’t attack back but tried to protect its handicapped owner. We had to rush the seeing eye dog over to the in-store vet for it’s wounds… all the while the owner of the mastiff was trying to play it down as the dog was ‘not normally like this! He’s very good at home!’ … yeah, where there are no other dogs! Yeesh.
                                  I have known a responsible breeder and trainer of pits and the difference is amazing.

UGH!! I can’t even believe someone would try to pawn off their own stupidity on someone’s service dog!! The problem is, stupid pet owners make an entire breed appear more dangerous than it is. Yes, pits and mastiffs might have more of a tendency toward aggression, but that can and SHOULD be trained out of them. Particularly before they’re taken out into public. When I started college, I wanted to be a vet. I do love animals. But I realized that being a vet is just as much about dealing with people who own animals as it is animals. And I couldn’t handle the idea of dealing with stupid and irresponsible people and their pet-victims.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.