Horrible day….

Home Forums Miscellany Community Horrible day….

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    NirvanaCat13
    Participant

ghostndragon wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

The one that made me the angriest was a large dog-aggressive mastiff that the owner had on one of those extend-able leashes, and there was a handicapped lady in the store with a seeing eye dog. The owner negligently let the dog go off on the end of its over-long lead, out of sight around one of the aisles, and attacked the seeing eye dog. The seeing eye dog was so well trained it didn’t attack back but tried to protect its handicapped owner. We had to rush the seeing eye dog over to the in-store vet for it’s wounds… all the while the owner of the mastiff was trying to play it down as the dog was ‘not normally like this! He’s very good at home!’ … yeah, where there are no other dogs! Yeesh.
      I have known a responsible breeder and trainer of pits and the difference is amazing.

UGH!! I can’t even believe someone would try to pawn off their own stupidity on someone’s service dog!! The problem is, stupid pet owners make an entire breed appear more dangerous than it is. Yes, pits and mastiffs might have more of a tendency toward aggression, but that can and SHOULD be trained out of them. Particularly before they’re taken out into public. When I started college, I wanted to be a vet. I do love animals. But I realized that being a vet is just as much about dealing with people who own animals as it is animals. And I couldn’t handle the idea of dealing with stupid and irresponsible people and their pet-victims.

You could always just sedate the owners……..Maybe neuter them while they’re down? (the agressive males anyway) πŸ˜†

Katherine
      Participant

Nirvanacat13 wrote:

ghostndragon wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

The one that made me the angriest was a large dog-aggressive mastiff that the owner had on one of those extend-able leashes, and there was a handicapped lady in the store with a seeing eye dog. The owner negligently let the dog go off on the end of its over-long lead, out of sight around one of the aisles, and attacked the seeing eye dog. The seeing eye dog was so well trained it didn’t attack back but tried to protect its handicapped owner. We had to rush the seeing eye dog over to the in-store vet for it’s wounds… all the while the owner of the mastiff was trying to play it down as the dog was ‘not normally like this! He’s very good at home!’ … yeah, where there are no other dogs! Yeesh.
        I have known a responsible breeder and trainer of pits and the difference is amazing.

UGH!! I can’t even believe someone would try to pawn off their own stupidity on someone’s service dog!! The problem is, stupid pet owners make an entire breed appear more dangerous than it is. Yes, pits and mastiffs might have more of a tendency toward aggression, but that can and SHOULD be trained out of them. Particularly before they’re taken out into public. When I started college, I wanted to be a vet. I do love animals. But I realized that being a vet is just as much about dealing with people who own animals as it is animals. And I couldn’t handle the idea of dealing with stupid and irresponsible people and their pet-victims.

You could always just sedate the owners……..Maybe neuter them while they’re down? (the agressive males anyway) πŸ˜†

BWAHAHA! I am so glad I wasn’t drinking anything when I read that Nirvanacat! XD XD

Xtharsa
        Participant

I think most young owners are idiots…I am 21 but when we bought our puppy we enrolled him in training as soon as he was old enough.he was in training for 4 months he will qualify for good citizen certification(therapy dog) after his final training this next month. I realize my responablity but I think others just dont care enough to try…I’m going to try to go the nice route with these people…(one of our dogs bit the nieghbors child and we let him shoot our dog, ended up dog got distemper) it was a labrador too. people need to be resposible for their actions and their pets action.

LadyFirebird
          Participant

I’m so sorry, Xtharsa, about your dog! This just makes me so angry that you can’t even go to a park to enjoy yourself with your furry companion without having some irresponsible idiot ruin it all! 😑 There is a pet shop here that has bumper stickers that read ‘Ban Stupid Dog People’–would certainly apply here. Hope your baby will recover soon and be out of pain. πŸ™

Hope this one posts – tried to post earlier but it seems to have been eaten by the internet….

I hope Drake is feeling better but don’t be surprised if he is really sore today and tomorrow – dog bites are nasty because there is also some crushing and tearing of muscle which takes awhile to heal. And if the pit shook Drake at all he might have some neck pain. The good news is a little extra TLC will go a long way to making Drake feel better and it sounds as if you have that covered!

I like pits a lot – they can be great dogs one on one. But they have been bred for generations to be aggressive and to kill things. That’s something that Americans tend to forget when getting dogs – most dogs were bred for very specific jobs rather than being bred to be just pets (although there are certainly some breeds that were bred just for companionship). Most terriers, for example, were bred to kill things. Then we come along and want them to be pets and ignore generations of instinct. Which is why a lot of terriers are horrible choices if you have kids – small, quick beings that make high pitched, squeaky sounds. Kind of like the rodents a lot of terriers were bred to kill. Unfortunately too many people get dogs without researching the breed’s characteristics and without being willing to spend the time to train the dog.

I agree with the people who recommended reporting the dog – I know it is a hard thing to do but it is highly likely the dog will attack another dog. And if the dog is a lot smaller he may very well kill it. You would be surprised the number of times I would treat a dog for being attacked and the owner of the other dog would have told the owners “gee, it’s been 3 months since Fluffy bit another dog – we thought he was better.” So documenting any attacks is important to try and protect other dogs. And the fact that the owners brought the pit to a dHope this one posts – tried to post earlier but it seems to have been eaten by the internet….

I hope Drake is feeling better but don’t be surprised if he is really sore today and tomorrow – dog bites are nasty because there is also some crushing and tearing of muscle which takes awhile to heal. And if the pit shook Drake at all he might have some neck pain. The good news is a little extra TLC will go a long way to making Drake feel better and it sounds as if you have that covered!

I like pits a lot – they can be great dogs one on one. But they have been bred for generations to be aggressive and to kill things. That’s something that Americans tend to forget when getting dogs – most dogs were bred for very specific jobs rather than being bred to be just pets (although there are certainly some breeds that were bred just for companionship). Most terriers, for example, were bred to kill things. Then we come along and want them to be pets and ignore generations of instinct. Which is why a lot of terriers are horrible choices if you have kids – small, quick beings that make high pitched, squeaky sounds. Kind of like the rodents a lot of terriers were bred to kill. Unfortunately too many people get dogs without researching the breed’s characteristics and without being willing to spend the time to train the dog.

I agree with the people who recommended reporting the dog – I know it is a hard thing to do but it is highly likely the dog will attack another dog. And if the dog is a lot smaller he may very well kill it. You would be surprised the number of times I would treat a dog for being attacked and the owner of the other dog would have told the owners “gee, it’s been 3 months since Fluffy bit another dog – we thought he was better.” πŸ™„ So documenting any attacks is important to try and protect other dogs. And the fact that the owners brought the pit to a dog park makes me wonder about their intelligence. Maybe it was the very first time the dog ever attacked another dog but pits in a group can be highly unreliable. I always used to tell my owners that one pit was a great dog but two or three together were like a bunch of drunk sport fans – mob mentality. Totally different behavior. And basic instinct kicks in. Which in pits, unfortunately, tends to be to attack other dogs like poor Drake. I should say, some pits – I certainly knew a lot of really, really sweet pits who never attacked anything than a dog biscuit! And like I said, I really like pits – it’s just that they can have very strong aggressive traits and should only be gotten by people who are experienced with dogs and who are willing to spend time on training. Unfortunately that just doesn’t seem to happen all that often.

Good luck with Drake – I hope he is feeling better.

NirvanaCat13
            Participant

I knew DDVM would have some great info! <3

Keep us updated!

Xtharsa
              Participant

*sigh* got off work late looks like i’ll call the owners tmrw morning… I’d prefere just to get the money but if I have to I’ll report cause the dog is dangerous and the people need to deal with the concequeces.

Megan
                Participant

Poor Drake πŸ™ That’s really awful. I hope he feels better soon and all this mess works itself out!

darjeb
                  Participant

Poor Drake I hope he gets 100% OK soon.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.