fbpx

Help With Vintage Coat of Arms Buttons?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Help With Vintage Coat of Arms Buttons?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    etruscan
    Participant

Also this one:
      Fax mentis incendium gloriae – the flame of (or passion for) glory is the torch of the mind

Dragoneer_88
      Participant

This is an interesting mystery. Lol. I’ll post a better picture later tonight. Maybe somebody here is fluent in Latin. 😛

etruscan
        Participant

Got it (I think)
          “[the motto] properly belongs to the family of Hastings-Forbes, Earls of Granard. The Earldom was created in 1675, so presumably the motto was adopted about this time. Debrett translates it as “The incitement to glory is the firebrand of the mind”.

Compare the coat of arms in this listing:
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Forbes,_8th_Earl_of_Granard

Dragoneer_88
          Participant

Got it (I think)
            “[the motto] properly belongs to the family of Hastings-Forbes, Earls of Granard. The Earldom was created in 1675, so presumably the motto was adopted about this time. Debrett translates it as “The incitement to glory is the firebrand of the mind”.

Compare the coat of arms in this listing:
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Forbes,_8th_Earl_of_Granard

Wow! That looks really close! Those don’t look like dragon heads on the shield. Thanks, Etruscan. 🙂 Now I’m wondering if these buttons are mass produced or just made for that family. I guess there’s no way to know for sure.

Dragoneer_88
            Participant

More pics. Good luck reading. It’s the best I could do with an iPhone camera.

etruscan
              Participant

If I am reading the references properly, the three heads on the shield are bears wearing muzzles. I have no idea why, though. :p

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.