fbpx

Help With Vintage Coat of Arms Buttons?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Help With Vintage Coat of Arms Buttons?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Dragoneer_88
    Participant

I found two buttons at a junk sale. I’m trying to figure out the age and the coat of arms imagery. It looks only slightly like the royal coat of arms but I can’t find any variation that has both the unicorn and the dragon together. I haven’t been able to find this particular button with online searches. Does anybody know anything about the imagery or antique buttons in general? They appear to be made of brass? I can’t read the manufacture name because it was partially soldered over.

Rylorien
      Participant

Pitt & Co.

They were a London-based button company beginning in 1875. In 1895 they moved to Maddox Street. (So I assume the back reads Pitt & Co. down one side of the back, and Maddox on the opposite 180 that we can’t see in the picture.)

In 1973 they were bought by J R Gaunt of London just before Gaunt was taken over by the Birmingham Mint.

That’s all I could find in a quick 5 minute search, but it’s a place to start.

Dragoneer_88
        Participant

Pitt & Co.

They were a London-based button company beginning in 1875. In 1895 they moved to Maddox Street. (So I assume the back reads Pitt & Co. down one side of the back, and Maddox on the opposite 180 that we can’t see in the picture.)

In 1973 they were bought by J R Gaunt of London just before Gaunt was taken over by the Birmingham Mint.

That’s all I could find in a quick 5 minute search, but it’s a place to start.

Wow, thanks so much for the info! You’re right about the back of the button. My internet searching skills are terrible. LOL! πŸ˜›

etruscan
          Participant

LOL – I also tried searching Pitt & Company but came up with an alcohol, soft drink and tobacco distributor in Bermuda, “Fueling Bermuda’s Vibrant Nightlife”. πŸ˜€

Ela_Hara
            Participant

LOL – I also tried searching Pitt & Company but came up with an alcohol, soft drink and tobacco distributor in Bermuda, “Fueling Bermuda’s Vibrant Nightlife”. πŸ˜€

LOL! I’d rather have a Pint instead of an old button. πŸ™‚

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
              Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
              Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
              *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Melody
              Keymaster

That’s a really nice button!
                Maybe the dragon is the symbol of Wales, and the unicorn is the symbol of Scotland?

What are those heads in the middle? Bicorns?

Ela_Hara
                Participant

Maybe the dragon is the symbol of Wales, and the unicorn is the symbol of Scotland?

I thought the same thing – possibly a Welsh Coat of Arms. It looks like the heads within the crest might be horned dragons.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                  Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                  Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                  *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Dragoneer_88
                  Participant

That’s what I was thinking since I can’t find that exact coat of arms in any of my searches so far. The next reasonable thing to do is guess. πŸ™‚ The button MIGHT be military related. Similar buttons I’ve found have been, but not all of them.

I think the heads might be either dragon or griffin heads. Personally, I’m leaning more towards griffin heads. The button is about the size of a quarter so it’s difficult to tell. My phone won’t zoom in close enough to get a good pic. How they look in the picture is not exactly how they look in person.

etruscan
                    Participant

It looks as though there is lettering under each of the standing figures but I can’t make it out.

Rylorien
                      Participant

I don’t know what kind of camera you use, but if it’s possible, you might try manually adjusting the focus (or if you have any nearby friends/family members whom have a good camera, schedule a drop-by shoot).

You also might want to try flipping the button upside down so that the heads of the beasties are pointed toward the countertop _then_ take pictures, if only to try and get a better image of the lettering/flag details down there. Natural shadows alone would make it harder to read clearly in a picture without something akin to a ‘professional’ setup or studio lighting.

Blight
                        Participant

They’re certainly livery buttons. I wish I could help more, I used to collect antique buttons (black glass, Victorian brass, etc) but I stopped a long time ago and don’t have my antique books anymore.

Pegasi1978
                          Participant

I talked with my husband and he says is is most likely a family coat of arms. If it’s a British coat of arms the unicorn symbolizes a relation to the royal family in some way. If it’s a Welsh coat of arms then the unicorn likely represents Scotland or Scottish lineage. The center of the shield has three dragon not Griffin heads which makes him think it is most likely a Welsh coat of arms.

Can you write out what the family motto is? It looks like the first word might be “Pax” which is Latin for peace.

etruscan
                            Participant

A lot of universities also have coats of arms. Unfortunately, I didn’t find a match among the ones I browsed but some of the designs are quite funny. πŸ™‚

Dragoneer_88
                              Participant

I talked with my husband and he says is is most likely a family coat of arms. If it’s a British coat of arms the unicorn symbolizes a relation to the royal family in some way. If it’s a Welsh coat of arms then the unicorn likely represents Scotland or Scottish lineage. The center of the shield has three dragon not Griffin heads which makes him think it is most likely a Welsh coat of arms.

Can you write out what the family motto is? It looks like the first word might be “Pax” which is Latin for peace.

Cool! Dragon heads. πŸ™‚ Thanks for info!

I think it says, “fax mentis incenduim gloria”. The last word is gloria for sure. The first could be eithe pax or fax. The other two I’m unsure. The third word ends with an M and I can see a C but the other letters are kind blobs.

etruscan
                                Participant

Cool! Dragon heads. πŸ™‚ Thanks for info!

I think it says, “fax mentis incenduim gloria”. The last word is gloria for sure. The first could be eithe pax or fax. The other two I’m unsure. The third word ends with an M and I can see a C but the other letters are kind blobs.

Hmm … I found this via Google:
                                  Fax mentis honestae gloria.
                                  Glory is the light of a noble mind.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.