fbpx

Help with a Windstone Injury?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Help with a Windstone Injury?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

I moved my peacock emperor dragon today to a different display spot and decided to change his position/the way I usually view him. And after doing so, I noticed a chip in his paint that I hadnt before.

The chip is on the deep blue part of his color and its pretty small, but now that its caught my attention, I can see it across the room- and its driving me a little nutty. I dont want to send it off to be fixed because he dosnt have his original box and I dont want to risk shipping him.

So can anyone here tell me how I might fix him? Most of the chips I’ve ever noticed on a windstone piece have been on the gold parts of the pieces and were easily fixed with a gold leafing pen. But I dont know of anything like that that would work for these colors. And I know basically nothing about paints.

Can someone help me out/give me some advice? What should I buy/in what color/how should I best apply it?
    Thanks!
    -Mel

Dab a little black paint over it for now, then get some blue interference paint, Golden Brand. And brush it over the black, then use some satin brush on sealer, and you’ll be done.

Kyrin

Kyrin wrote:

Dab a little black paint over it for now, then get some blue interference paint, Golden Brand. And brush it over the black, then use some satin brush on sealer, and you’ll be done.

Kyrin

Ok and just any black paint? And where would you say is the best place to find those things?

Michael’s carries the Golden Brand. Be prepared for that interference to be pricey, $15 a tube, but it will last you years and years.

Black paint, recommend Mars Black, the brand of paint isn’t a big deal, just make sure it is an acrylic paint. I have begun to collect the Golden brand paints, but mostly due to doing the repairs and the fact that Windstone uses that brand. Just be aware that Golden is not cheap compared to say Apple Barrel.

Good luck with your chip repair.

Kyrin

frozendragon
    Participant

you can find Golden Brand Interference paints on Amazon…for about $8 for 2 oz… I bought all of mine off Amazon…for the main reason that Michael’s were mostly dry and gross…

it’s a little cheaper…even if you have to pay shipping…

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Kyrin wrote:

Michael’s carries the Golden Brand. Be prepared for that interference to be pricey, $15 a tube, but it will last you years and years.

Black paint, recommend Mars Black, the brand of paint isn’t a big deal, just make sure it is an acrylic paint. I have begun to collect the Golden brand paints, but mostly due to doing the repairs and the fact that Windstone uses that brand. Just be aware that Golden is not cheap compared to say Apple Barrel.

Kyrin

Do you buy the interference paint in the tubes?? 😯

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer wrote:

Kyrin wrote:

Kyrin

Do you buy the interference paint in the tubes?? 😯

Yeah, is there another way? The Michael’s here only carries it in the tubes. It’s the same paint, right?

Kyrin

frozendragon
        Participant

Our Micheal’s has the Tubs too…but they are about $35… it’s 4 oz…

wolflodge100
          Participant

Ours only has Liquitex and no interferance paint.

Leigha
            Participant

I got a 2 oz tube for 5 dollars each on eBay. I don’t remember what shipping was though.

kitsunelady
              Participant

I bought mine off Dick Blick. o.o; I didn’t know it came in tubes. Theirs are all in plastic bottles. How weird. e.e Do you use the liquid acrylic, or just the regular acrylics?

kitsunelady wrote:

I bought mine off Dick Blick. o.o; I didn’t know it came in tubes. Theirs are all in plastic bottles. How weird. e.e Do you use the liquid acrylic, or just the regular acrylics?

Me?? I use a combination of both. I like the versatility of acrylics, and the advantage of the tubes is that you can make it as thick or as thin as you wish. The liquid paints are great in that they are constant in their consistancy, but I like to dab a little bit of the tube paint, dip my brush in water and have at, it goes a long way and a tube of paint can last a long time.

I have had some of my liquid paints in bottles dry out, which is not a good thing. So I would say I prefer the tube paints, they last longer.

Kyrin

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Kyrin wrote:

Yeah, is there another way? The Michael’s here only carries it in the tubes. It’s the same paint, right?

Kyrin

Yes, it comes in Fluid Acrylics in 1oz bottles. It goes a long way and applies much much nicer than the paint in the tubes (which is thick and is hard to get rid of the milky look). It tends to run between $5-10/1oz bottle. 🙂

I hate paint tubes. The cap always gets gummed up, and you can never get all the paint out easily unless you have a tube key. Plus you gotta get a small glorb each time you get some paint.. with the bottles it’s easy to get a single drop if you don’t need much. 🙂

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

frozendragon
                  Participant

hmm…didn’t know they had little ones for all of them…

there are a few here…but they are all so old and dried…and always a different price…

I quit going to Michael’s here…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.