fbpx

Help. Don't know what to do…

Home Forums Miscellany Community Help. Don't know what to do…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Andrea
    Participant

I just don’t know what to do.
      There’s been a mean and sickly cat hanging around the company for the last couple of months. We’ve been feeding and giving fresh water.
      The thing growls and tries to claw you if you get too close. Here is where the problem is.
      He wasn’t around yesterday after the long weekend and this morning he finally showed up and looking so bad.
      He’s got green snot blocking one nostril and is drinking a ton of water but not eating. He looks to be anemic.
      Up until today he’s been hungry and onery, but today he’s not even growling when you get close and he’s breathing very hard.

So what do I do? If I try to help, it would mean a whole lot of stress to him just to capture and cage him. Is it worth getting him stressed like that just end his suffering?
      Do we just let him suffer and die?

Here’s a cat that no amount of money will fix but I don’t want to give up on him…
      To capture him, it would mean throwing a blanket over him and getting him into a box. But then the vet would have to tranquilize him to even look at him which would mean another huge struggle to get him out of the box safely for the handlers and the cat…

What do I do???

Andrea
      Participant

LadyFirebird
        Participant

Yeah, this is a tough one. The cat is very sick and eventually die–but it’s suffering right now. That is what would really bother me. You could try calling the local Humane Society on what could be done–if they got hold of him most likely he would be put down–poor kitty 🙁 Then if you tried to catch him and by chance got clawed, you could be in danger of infection from the wound.

Call the Humane Society–they may come out and set a trap for him. I know it’ll stress him out but he’s suffering right now. I feel bad for him. Good luck!

KoishiiKitty
          Participant

“So what do I do? If I try to help, it would mean a whole lot of stress to him just to capture and cage him. Is it worth getting him stressed like that just end his suffering?
            Do we just let him suffer and die?”

I would say to do it, because if he has any sort of disease, then it can be contained. If let alone, not only will he die a suffering death, but IF he does have a contagiouse disease, other animals could get it. 🙁 If he looks real bad, maybe calling some one would be better?

We had a cat that showed up out of no where one year, beaten looking, breathing heavy, flies. We took it in to be put down at the local vet and told them that we had been unsure about bringing it in or not, and they told us what I mentioned above. Safer then sorry.

🙁

Laurie
            Participant

ok, the other side of the penny…Maybe him being so sick would give you a chance to get closer and catch him. Just make sure you have gloves and a CAGE not a box. He might just be scared is why he’s so onery. You might find out he’s a real sweetie once he sees you won’t hurt him. (this would be me, except I’d keep him quarantined until vet visit) This was written after Koishi

Rachel
              Participant

I recommend not even attempting to touch him. In fact, it sounds semi-scary. He’s drinking a lot of water? Sounds like rabies. He needs to be put down and now. Preferably by someone else and preferably that someone else knows how to dispose of the remains.

*edit to add that not eating while drinking a lot is another sign of rabies. Rabies is transmissible to almost all critters–humans, horses, cats, dogs, rodents, etc. Bad, bad news. It’s also transmissible by saliva on his claws and possibly also through the air. If he’s determined to have rabies, you WILL NEED rabies shots. No fun, trust me. And your critters will need their rabies vaccinations updated and might require quarantine.

*edit to add: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2134&aid=346

Laurie
                Participant

I’ve seen coyotes die here right next to a water trough and not drink.

Ack, did some reasearch, read both for and against for rabies. Back to square one. 😕

On the other hand, a serious uri will cause a cat to not eat. Can’t smell the food, won’t eat.

Andrea
                  Participant

I’ll go get a cage. I don’t want animal control to come because they will just get their catch pole and I don’t think that is cool for such a sick animal.
                    He is a feral cat and the few times I tried to get close, he came after me. So that leaves either a blanket over him or a catch cage.
                    If he were friendly, the company would have taken him to the vet and tried to get him better. We all pretty much are cat lovers.

It’s just sad to see throw away cats like this.

Laurie
                    Participant

You didn’t do it, Some idiots who can’t get their animals spayed and neutered started it. 🙄

KoishiiKitty
                      Participant

Phoenix wrote:

I’ll go get a cage. I don’t want animal control to come because they will just get their catch pole and I don’t think that is cool for such a sick animal.
                        He is a feral cat and the few times I tried to get close, he came after me. So that leaves either a blanket over him or a catch cage.
                        If he were friendly, the company would have taken him to the vet and tried to get him better. We all pretty much are cat lovers.

It’s just sad to see throw away cats like this.

Be VERY careful. Ghostndragon does have a point, so if you do this on your own, make sure you have protection in case the cat decides it has enough energy to try and bite. It might not be as bad as rabies or a contagious disease, but you never know. Let us know what happens.

Rusti
                        Participant

Rabies usually paralyzes the throat (hence the drooling/foaming at the mouth) and usually victims display hydrophobia as opposed to drinking copiously.

It’s more likely he’s got something like an upper respiratory infection, if his eyes are gummy, feline leukemia, FIV or one of the numerous other diseases house cats get vaccinated for that feral cats spread among each other freely.

I’d suggest a live trap from the feed store with some water and food inside for him. Once he’s in, he’s easier to manage, since he can be squished against the side of it and held there for injections, and you don’t have to worry about being bitten and dooming yourself to a series of rabies vaccinations yourself and his noggin being sent in for testing.

drag0nfeathers
                          Participant

I’ve had to do this before…. twice actually. One ended up good and another bad.

I captured a cat that was your typical feral stray one day when he arrived with a broken leg. He was not a friendly cat, but he did know we had food and wasn’t afraid of people like most feral cats. He hung around for about a year or so before he arrived with a broken leg and looking very thin. He was hand shy, but I was able to pat him if I had food or milk for him in one hand. We did capture him and much to his dismay, we set his leg ourselves with Popsicle sticks and eventually, he got better and shortly became a part of the family before he ventured back to his entirely outdoor life. I don’t know what happened to him after I moved, but my mother still sees him from time to time.
                            This is one of the only pictures we got of him, he was pretty afraid of the camera flash and we didn’t want to scare him more. This was a few weeks after we treated him and we took off his bandages. He stayed in our patio room and never really left that couch the whole time he was inside except to eat and poop on our floor. It’s not as if he would know better though since he was probably always outside.

On the bad hand, very similar to whats going on with you, there was a very mean stray who would come and eat food we left out, but bolt as soon as he actually saw us. We would peek out the window and make sure he got fed though. Well, after a few months he started showing up with his head cocked to one side and stumbling like he had an inner ear infection. We tried to catch him, but we just couldn’t. He always managed to get away, he DID NOT LIKE PEOPLE! He disappeared for a while (probably cause we tried to catch him) and I happened across a bad smell going into the house one day after work. Behind a board that was leaning against the house he was underneath, breathing heavy. He had a few flies on him and reeked of just something nearing the end. He didn’t try to run, but lifted his head and let me pet him. I sat with him for about an hour and brought him to our animal shelter to get him put down. I just couldn’t watch him die. I would have probably took him to a vet, but you could just tell. He wasn’t going to make it.

I don’t know if any of those stories help, but I think it’s better to do something rather then nothing. Even if it’s a hard decision to make. I don’t know if I did the right thing when I brought the second stray to get put to sleep, but I like to think I at least shortened his suffering in a cruel world that left him to die to begin with.

Got a busted Windstone?
                            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                            Siphlophis Male Dragon
                            Calypso Hatching Empress
                            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                            Tattoo Mother Kirin
                            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Bob

How SAD!! 😮
                              My kitties have all been VERY Friendly since the start
                              maybe not to eachother meaning the 2 girls because of the pecking order but all VERY human friendly excpet one cat with one friend one time

Jennifer
                              Keymaster

I hope you’ll consider trapping him, even if the outcome is sad for him in the end if he cannot be homed or saved. Just be very careful since you don’t know why he is sick (I have personally seen rabies and distemper manifest in some strange ways). Being outside is no good for him, and no good for wild animals, and no good for any other cats he encounters either!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                                My art: featherdust.com

Andrea
                                Participant

We’ll see if I can get him. There is no way the animal shelter would put any amount of $$ into trying to save this cat, and really I can understand that. All I would be doing is either paying for his care and setting him free (if they agree to handle him) or putting him down.
                                  Having two of my own cats I don’t even really want to touch him, taking him home to rehab would be impossible.
                                  He was gone when I left work. I’ll be out of the building tomorrow, so if he’s around Friday, I’ll see about getting him to a vet.
                                  I don’t know what happened over the long weekend. Friday he was pretty spry, though still icky he had spunk. Today he’s a shell.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.