fbpx

GBB Trading Etiquette

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone GBB Trading Etiquette

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Ann

I’m sorry if there is already a thread on this, I searched but didn’t find anything.

This batch is the first time I’ve ventured into trading my GBB and I want to make sure I don’t step on any toes/offend anyone in the process.

For those trading vetrens, do you have any etiquette tips or rules?

Thank you!

Ann

*veterans

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

Personally, the only thing that bothers me is people getting angry I may not be interested in their trade and immediately assuming I would want to trade with them. This seldom happens, but it can. Also, people who constantly can’t give you a straight answer and/or back out of a trade once it is in process is something you sort of have to get used to. However, the key to any successful trade is clear and honest communication! I know people try to be polite and say things like “well… maybe… I’m not sure, I’ll get back to you” because they are waiting to see what else is coming along and may be available for trade in the future. That is perfectly reasonable, I just think it is nice to say that and not leave people on the back burner who may be waiting for an answer on a trade and holding back in the meantime.

Truthfully, it can be very frustrating to trade. Sometimes you have to trade, to trade, to trade for what you really want in trade. It’s partly fun, and partly nerve wracking. Personally, I find you don’t want to trade too soon, but you also don’t want to wait too long either. The first few times, it seems very crazy, but it gets easier with practice! Understanding, clear communication, and patience is key in this business and as long as everyone involved is always (in the worst case scenario) prepared to be possibly disappointed then it’s not all that difficult.

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Erika
          Participant

I think it basically boils down to what drag0n said: communicate clearly. I’ve only done one or two trades on here, but I’ve done them other places. General rules seem to be:

If you’re waiting to decide, say so (a deadline helps, if you can…like ‘I’ll get back to you by this friday’)

If the items are going to be roughly the same weight, each pays their own shipping, it’s a pretty big hassle to reimburse each other through paypal for a dollar or two in shipping difference, but here I could see potential for same value, different weight changes: i.e. if someone wanted to trade a GB uni for a production Dragon or something larger like that, then mutual shipping reimbursement would probably be the way to go.

Ship out in a timely manner (obviously)

If you decide to go with a trade from someone else, let the others who were considering yours know that the offer is off the table.

And last but not least: trading is voluntary, don’t be miffed if someone doesn’t want to trade with you. We all know when we buy a GB that you may just end up with one that’s not your cup of tea, but be a good sport about it, there will be other batches, and it’s not like there’s a deadline on trading. I’m still holding out for an oryx baby, or (really holding out by a long shot) a young. I may wait indefinitely, but you never know…

🙂

(Did I miss anything, guys?)

KaytanaPhoenix
            Participant

I think drag0n covered it best…
              If I’m after a piece I *really* want, I’m not afraid to ask that person what they would trade theirs for, if they’re not interested in mine.. and I’ll go looking for what they’d like (This is how I end up with 4-5 way trades, lol, most people who I’ve worked large trades with have been confused as can be by my methods, but I’ve never once had someone complain about the outcome of these trades!)

I also like to ship on the same day as the others in my trade, and *always* track (for the comfort of both parties) – If you’re trading uni for uni, I just ask that people ship USPS (within the states) and track and insure, then all our shipping comes out to be the same, if it’s a trade for a larger item, I split the total cost of shipping both pieces 50/50…
              If you’re trading with someone that doesn’t have references, but you do, then I think it’s perfectly ok to ask them to ship first and once theirs starts tracking, you’ll then ship yours (I’ve never had to do this, but I know someone who has done it)

The most important part is have fun! and let negative stuff roll off your back! I have only ever gotten into one really bad situation (a trade plan blew up in my face HARD) and as soon as it started to get ugly, I stopped trying and moved on! – I’ve had people not willing to wait for me to hear back from other parties, ‘n I was perfectly ok with that, as it was their right to do so!
              Communication is a big thing! It’s always best if everyone involved know precisely what is going on, including “I’m keeping yours in very serious thought but I have a few more options I’m wanting to check out and weigh my options, if this is alright with you, I will let you know what is happening as soon as I do!” I also make sure people know that if I’m making up my mind, that they are by no means obligated to wait for me if they find a trade they want before I get back to them!
              I really go at it with a no pressure, no worries mood and it makes it a lot more fun for me and hopefully whoever else I’ve talked to about trading 🙂

dragonmedley
              Participant

The only thing I can add to this is be straightforward. If someone offers you a trade and you’re not sure, say so! I once had someone who was very honest and told me it took her forever to make up her mind; once I knew that, I was ok with not hearing from her right away. Same if you don’t want to trade for that specific GB – just say, sorry, but that one isn’t for me. That’s why I think it’s better to give some idea of what you want.

If people get miffed at you or get rude, report it, either officially to Shihiv or unofficially to me.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

littleironhorse
                Participant

It’s also always useful to specify where you’re willing to ship: USA only, North America, Worldwide…

And, just because a lot of people still don’t know this: Yes, you can track USPS packages worldwide, depending on the service used.

Bodine
                  Participant

…and I surely mean this in the best way possible and hope noone gets offended but please,do not keep asking someone for something you want if they have said no already.Especially if they said no twice.It becomes harassment after a while and sheds a bad light on trading and gets uncomfortable for everyone. 🙂

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                    (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                    Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Chloe
                    Participant

I have a question! I have seen both my favorites come out in the thread….is it okay to send the person a PM saying that you love it and would love to trade/buy?? I don’t want to be seen to be “harassing” someone…..

Bodine
                      Participant

I have a question! I have seen both my favorites come out in the thread….is it okay to send the person a PM saying that you love it and would love to trade/buy?? I don’t want to be seen to be “harassing” someone…..

Sweetie it never hurts to ask.Just when they won’t take no for an answer,it get’s a bit uncomfortable is all.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Danzig Moon (Karen)
                        Participant

NO, that is not harassing. We have all done that. You may not get the piece right then but later down the line you could and for alot less than you would pay right after a GB drop.

*** Always looking for Brindles..*** AWD Pieces **** Lavender Coiled Mother with Globe**** if you have one you would like to sell or trade please contact me ?

Christine
                          Participant

I’d say it’s not harassing either.

If you post a photo of your GBB on this public forum space, IMO you should assume you might get a PM or two from members who also love the one you got.

A simple response of “No thank you, I really like this one and would like to keep it” is really all you need to send back to such PMs. And you can always post such a disclaimer when you post your photo. People seem to be mostly respectful of such requests.

If the person you just firmly said ‘no’ to continues to ask after that, ignore them.

I have had situations where I PMd the owner a couple times after they said ‘no’, because it was a tentative ‘no’. I ended up being able to get the piece I wanted eventually, but I was careful to ask politely and NOT OFTEN!

I have a piece that another member really likes, and she PMs me to ask about it every so often. Because she’s really polite about it (and I too gave a tentative ‘no’), it doesn’t bother me at all.

Christine
                            Participant

– Respond to PMs. Even if it’s just to say “I got your PM, I need a little time to think about it.” Even if it’s just to say “No thank you.” Especially if so! It’s irritating to not get an answer about something.

– If someone’s given you a firm ‘no’ about a trade, leave it be.

– Once a trade is made, SHIP PROMPTLY. Nothing is worse than shipping your half with a tracking number, and then the other person waits days or even weeks to bother sending their part of the trade. We’ve all known of trades that go sour or people who get ripped off, and waiting too long to ship half of a trade makes the other party feel like they might be the next cautionary tale. It’s stressful. Don’t do it to people.

– Probably one of the biggest faux pas– don’t back out on trades. Don’t commit to something until you REALLY know for sure. A change of heart is frustrating for the other party. If a backout happens, try to make it up to that person asap. (Coming from directly doing it myself, which was poopy, trust me. I still feel sad about it.)

– Lastly, remember that nothing is certain till the piece you wanted is on your shelf. I’ve had all kinds of trades not work out. It’s disappointing, but remembering this has helped me have a great time trading GB Unis.

🙂

drag0nfeathers
                              Participant

– Respond to PMs. Even if it’s just to say “I got your PM, I need a little time to think about it.” Even if it’s just to say “No thank you.” Especially if so! It’s irritating to not get an answer about something.

– If someone’s given you a firm ‘no’ about a trade, leave it be.

– Once a trade is made, SHIP PROMPTLY. Nothing is worse than shipping your half with a tracking number, and then the other person waits days or even weeks to bother sending their part of the trade. We’ve all known of trades that go sour or people who get ripped off, and waiting too long to ship half of a trade makes the other party feel like they might be the next cautionary tale. It’s stressful. Don’t do it to people.

– Probably one of the biggest faux pas– don’t back out on trades. Don’t commit to something until you REALLY know for sure. A change of heart is frustrating for the other party. If a backout happens, try to make it up to that person asap. (Coming from directly doing it myself, which was poopy, trust me. I still feel sad about it.)

– Lastly, remember that nothing is certain till the piece you wanted is on your shelf. I’ve had all kinds of trades not work out. It’s disappointing, but remembering this has helped me have a great time trading GB Unis.

🙂

^ This

Got a busted Windstone?
                                drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                                Calypso Hatching Empress
                                Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                                Tattoo Mother Kirin
                                Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                                Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                                Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                                Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                                Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                                Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

littleironhorse
                                Participant

THIS!!!

All the rest is also very true, but this is a particular pet peeve of mine. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.