fbpx

Game of Thrones

Home Forums Miscellany Community Game of Thrones

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Wampus Dragon
    Participant

Is anyone else watching this series? Have you read the book( s )? How loyal to the book storyline do you think it is?

Carolyn
      Participant

I tried reading the first book and it just wasn’t my kind of book . I didn’t like what will be happening . Not watching the series any more either . I know this series has a huge following , but it’s not for everyone .
        I just started reading Westerns . My faverite fantasy series is Anne McCaffery’s Pern . I love re reading them . I love Dresdan too , books by Jim Butcher .
        I read Fevre Dream when it first came out . Thats my faverite George R.R. Martin book .

Azurielle
        Participant

I started reading Game of thrones when it was first released, so I;ve been waiting a long time for the series to finish (which is hasn’t), and the tv show. I really like the show. I think that they did a great job with the casting, especially with Tyrion Lannister, and Eddard stark, and Robert Barathean. A lot of the lines are direct quotes from the books, and only a very few small bits in the show are not cannon. They’ve had to leave out a bit, obviously, but overalll, I think that they’ve stayed pretty true to the dtory. But of course, we are only 3 eps. in. Side note, I think the inuit dogs they are using for the direwolves are just beautiful.

Keeper of the Fledgings

Hannah
          Participant

My brothers are big fans of the series and I’m a big fan of fantasy in general so I am watching the series with them. We’ve so far gotten through the first episode and I’ve read almost exactly that far in the first book (which is to say, not very far).

I have a hard time reading things that are heavy on the misogyny, and for at least the first half of the first book it really permeates everything. I’ve been assured by many people that the series is fantastic (although, honestly, I compare EVERY fantasy series to Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series and the only thing that’s ever been as good in my eyes has been the new author Patrick Rothfuss and his Kingkiller Chronicle).

I will likely try reading the series again once I am done with reading Harry Potter. Yeah, that’s right! I’ve never read Harry Potter!! It’s a really cute story so far though, and very light compared to what I usually read XD

As far as the book compared to the series goes for Game of Thrones, not very much has bothered me as far as I’ve seen. My family did have a little debate about the beginning (is that what the white walkers really look like? Wasn’t the kid that got executed up in a tree when all that happened?), and then a few minor things (my brother imagined Tyrion to be much uglier, when in the show he is portrayed by the arguably handsome Peter Dinklage and my other brother swore up and down that Dani’s wedding was not held at the beach, while I was more concerned about how her lovemaking with her new husband seemed almost portrayed as a rape where I had the distinct impression in the book that although she was scared she totally got into it).

But yeah, we like to nit pick XD

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
            Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Elena
            Participant

I enjoyed the series and have been waiting forever for the fifth book (there will be seven in the series)

I don’t get the channel that is showing ‘Game of Thrones’, see the commercials for it though… so will have to wait for the DVD, or one of the other channels to start showing it.

dragonmedley
              Participant

I’ll definitely watch it once it’s on DVD. Love the books!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Azurielle
                Participant

I found it interesting the other day, reading the amazon book reviews on some books, like game of thrones, and the kingkiller books by Rothfuss, just how vehemently some people hate these books, and how some people swear that they are better than Tolkien. Than being said, George R.R. Martin is a cruel man to make us all wait so long for the next darned book!

Keeper of the Fledgings

Hannah
                  Participant

*blush*

I’m one of the people that think Patrick Rothfuss blows Tolkien out of the water as far as writing style goes.. :shy:

Elena
                    Participant

No kidding!!! It’s been almost 5 years since the last one!

I absolutely love it! My fiancé band has songs dedicated to the books. Their most popular song is called Winter is Coming.
                      I am reading the books now and they seem spot on with the show.
                      Now those who watch TrueBlood know that HBO follows a book the first season and totally goes off to something completely different.
                      I am finally happy a fantasy show is popular. Merlin didn’t last very long so I hope Game of Thrones does.
                      The Hobbit is coming out in the next few years and talk of The Last Unicorn live action movie. So I really hope this show continues to be popular. I need some more fantasy in my life!

Hannah
                      Participant

talk of The Last Unicorn live action movie.

Bwa?! How in the world could they pull that off? I’d definitely watch it but I think that will be really hard to pull off, especially since it’s based so tightly around the unicorn! I hope they don’t CGI her 🙁

etruscan
                        Participant

talk of The Last Unicorn live action movie.

Bwa?! How in the world could they pull that off? I’d definitely watch it but I think that will be really hard to pull off, especially since it’s based so tightly around the unicorn! I hope they don’t CGI her 🙁

If they are going to make a movie of a Peter S. Beagle story, I think I would rather see Tamsin or The Folk of the Air than The Last Unicorn. Opinions, anyone?

Azurielle
                          Participant

That’s been a rumor for maaannnny years. They even had an imdb listing for awhile. I seriously doubt it will ever happen.

Keeper of the Fledgings

Azurielle
                            Participant

Ah, don’t get me wrong. Patrick Rothfuss is good, and I love Kvothe, even if he’s just a little mary-sue-ish, but he’s no Tolkien.

Keeper of the Fledgings

Hannah
                              Participant

We can agree to disagree then 🙂 I liked the Lord of the Rings movies, but I was never a fan of the books. I’m really picky about writing style!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.