fbpx

Favorite Gemstone…

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Favorite Gemstone…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author

OOOOOO….I always wanted a sparkly of my very own!

I like peridot. Because it’s um…bright green? My Dakota PYO now has a peridot in his tail.

and Jen, that ring is GOREGOUS. *squee*

darjeb
    Participant

Jennifer that ring is absolutely gorgeous did you pick it out or did your husband or the two of you together?

Jennifer
      Keymaster

darjeb wrote:

Jennifer that ring is absolutely gorgeous did you pick it out or did your husband or the two of you together?

Thank you! We picked it together. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Leigha
        Participant

that’s so sweet ^^

<3

And it’s a beautiful ring *drools*

Melissa
          Participant

Man, that’s a lovely choice for a ring. And just a tiny bit off the beaten path which is cool. πŸ˜‰

My favorite gem is a Ruby, (also birthstone)

but for the semi-precious, I like natural non-heat treated Citrine, Jet, Labradorite, Rose Quartz and have a weak spot for Fire Agates and whatever’s green and native to California. Long list. Love the shinies. πŸ˜†

Maria
            Participant

That’s one of the prettiest gemstone rings I’ve ever seen, Nam.

Jennifer
              Keymaster

I would have loved opal, but lets face it… if it’s something I’m gonna wear all day every day, it shouldn’t have a soft stone in it! I’d have broken the opal 400 times by now with as hard as I am on my jewelry πŸ˜† The sapphire was a good compromise because I do love the green.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

PurpleTurtle
                Participant

I like the fact that your green sapphire has a little bit of orange in it πŸ˜‰ . I didn’t realize sapphire came in so many colors.

twindragonsmum
                  Participant

Dragon87 wrote:

My favorite gemstone? I don’t know, I like them all! Sapphire has some of the coolest chemistry though! Especially the yellow stuff. I basically like anything shiny that interests me for things like how it’s made (diamonds are quite boring, actually), there’s one that made of crushed ancient critters that’s cool, there’s amber (nothing like fossilized tree sap). You get the idea. If it can do something cool in chemistry, or has a neat origin story, or is shiny (I’m like a magpie) then I love it!

Oh, man I am SUCH a nerd…

You’re not a nerd! It’s what my hubby calls “the magpie effect” and it’s why my jewelry company is named “Laughing Magpie”. Sparklies hit me the same way, from stones to beads to glass to crystal to minerals to silver to gold to… well, you get the idea πŸ™„ πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Favorites; sapphire in any color – love my necklace I made with multi colored, sapphire briolets and fine silver; blue or green or champagne topaz; rainbow moonstone; green aqua marine; alexandrite; gem lapis and malachite; Botswana Agate; and I could go on and on….

tdm

siberakh1
                    Participant

I’m very partial to amethyst. I LOVE the way it feels.

I’m also partial to tanzanite and iolite (it’s all the colors of twilight!). πŸ™‚

I’m random at what I like. I like really deep green shades, like deep green jade or colors of connemara marble (a type specific type of serpentine), certain shades of blue, and amber like colors. I have some lovely labradorite with some nice blue flashes to it, sapphires (blues and yellows… I have a nice yellow sapphire pendant I found at a gem show). I like some of the odd colorings of garnet (I saw one that was a firey orange red that I’d like to own someday – it was pricey for such a small stone *sigh*). I am sometimes partial to certain combinations for seasonal appeal (I like peridot with blue topaz or amethyst in the spring). I’m really picky with my jewelry though. I also like raw ore stones. I can be really random with the stones I like.

I HATE handling turquoise and refuse to wear it or own a piece of it. Turquoise and I don’t get along. πŸ˜•

PurpleTurtle
                      Participant

siberakh1 wrote:

I HATE handling turquoise and refuse to wear it or own a piece of it. Turquoise and I don’t get along. πŸ˜•

I’m like that with hematite. It is too intense and ‘heavy’ for me. Turquoise is an odd one for me too. I love the stone, but I have to be in the right mood to be able to wear it. I LOVE amber. It and I get along very well πŸ˜‰ .

twindragonsmum wrote:

Dragon87 wrote:

My favorite gemstone? I don’t know, I like them all! Sapphire has some of the coolest chemistry though! Especially the yellow stuff. I basically like anything shiny that interests me for things like how it’s made (diamonds are quite boring, actually), there’s one that made of crushed ancient critters that’s cool, there’s amber (nothing like fossilized tree sap). You get the idea. If it can do something cool in chemistry, or has a neat origin story, or is shiny (I’m like a magpie) then I love it!

Oh, man I am SUCH a nerd…

You’re not a nerd! It’s what my hubby calls “the magpie effect” and it’s why my jewelry company is named “Laughing Magpie”. Sparklies hit me the same way, from stones to beads to glass to crystal to minerals to silver to gold to… well, you get the idea πŸ™„ πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Favorites; sapphire in any color – love my necklace I made with multi colored, sapphire briolets and fine silver; blue or green or champagne topaz; rainbow moonstone; green aqua marine; alexandrite; gem lapis and malachite; Botswana Agate; and I could go on and on….

I was referring to the fact that I like ones that have an entertaining chemistry…. 😳 πŸ˜†

Sometimes I think I’m part magpie though… I love shinies!

Nightcrow
                        Participant

I always end up liking weird minerals no one has heard of.

I do love opals, especially the ones with highly-changing, blue-green fire. I love blue and green sapphires, and star sapphires as well. Hematite is also way up on my list.

Topaz is another favorite (the golden kind, not the blue; “topaz” to me is always yellowy). It’s hard to find in silver settings, but I love it that way! (I just Don’t Do gold, never have.) Pretty much everything else on my “favorites” list is in the green to purple side of the spectrum; I’ve never cared for red or orange, and I’m picky about my yellows.

Of those eccentric never-heard-of minerals, well, go skim Ebay for some good examples of these:

Tourmaline, kyanite, and apatite, in the blue-green shades; Tanzanite and iolite in the blue-violet range; aquamarine, too. And there’s a gorgeous light blue chalcedony up on Ebay right now… πŸ™‚

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

If I’m doing the choosing, I lean towards turquoise, jet, black or blue based opals, demin lapis, things like that. My husband likes to give me jewelry for my birthday and Christmas over the 20-something years we’ve been married, and he’s gone the gamut from colored diamonds, (I’m still trying to figure out how they do that…) to tanzanite, mystic topaz, amethyst, sapphires, (blue only so far) rubies, emeralds….Yeah, I’m spoiled. πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†
                          One of my favorite pieces is a huge turquoise and silver bracelet he bought for me last year. It’s the old pawn-style, with heavy silver work and 2 big chunks of Sleeping Beauty turquoise. It’s my birthstone, but I’m very particular about the shade of the stones–I don’t like the ones with a lot of matrix, or too much green. Sleeping Beauty is a sky blue shade. That bracelet didn’t just call to me; it SCREAMED to me…. πŸ˜† It was just one of those had to have it things. Thankfully, those don’t happen too often. πŸ˜‰

Adaneth
                          Participant

I love Labradorite the most, and am also very fond of grey moonstones and grey star sapphires. I have an unending fascination with black star diopsides, as well as asterism in stones like quartz and sillimanite. Ulexite is neat too, and I just love silver sheen obsidian and smoky quartz and solid green rainbow obsidian. Hawk’s eye and Tiger-eye are neat too. Basically, stones with interesting light-bending properties (except for some reason I dislike opals) are the ones I’m fond of; ‘semiprecious’ stones as opposed to the solid-hued ‘precious’ ones that don’t do anything beside sparkle! πŸ˜†

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.