fbpx

Eragon

Home Forums Miscellany Community Eragon

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 121 total)
  • Author

SilverArrow wrote:

Ok. Stupid question time! ๐Ÿ™„ I haven’t read the book, nor seen the movie so please don’t pelt me with rotten vegtables for asking some really stupid questions.

Who is Saphira and who/what is Eragon?

Saphira is a sapphire blue dragon and Eragon is a bastardization of Aragon :X I mean, Eragon is Saphira’s rider and was present at her birth so that they kinda bonded/imprinted

SPark
    Participant

There’s a really funny little critique of the story here:

http://graydown.livejournal.com/67713.html#cutid1

It has some spoilers in it, if you don’t want to see that kind of thing.

DantheDragon
      Participant

Heh, I swear, the next person that asks, “Oh, are you going to see Eragon?” as if it’s some shining central mecca of my dragon-loving existance is going to be smashed to a bloody pulp by my new Wii controller -_-

That being said, I did read the book when it came out, and it was okay. Nothing amazing, but not terrible either. I got the 2nd book but haven’t read it because I don’t remember enough of the first book to continue on, and the first book wasn’t THAT enjoyable that I would bother reading it again.

I looked at the screenies from the movie and it didn’t look much different from Dragonslayer (maybe it’s the costumes?) So yeah, I might go see it just for possible dragon eye-candy, but not before I see other movies I’m more interested in.

Now, the fact that Peter Jackson bought the movie-rights to the Temeraire series makes me want to pee in my pants for joy O.O But Eragon? Meh. I can wait until it comes out on video.

Bob

I can’t afford movies this month and when I will be able to it will most likely be out on DVD

Dragonslayer is an AWESOME movie for dragons, as long as you ignore every other character except for the old man wizard hee hee. I used to watch it as a kid all the time ^_^

Participant

sunhawk wrote:

SilverArrow wrote:

Ok. Stupid question time! ๐Ÿ™„ I haven’t read the book, nor seen the movie so please don’t pelt me with rotten vegtables for asking some really stupid questions.

Who is Saphira and who/what is Eragon?

Saphira is a sapphire blue dragon and Eragon is a bastardization of Aragon :X I mean, Eragon is Saphira’s rider and was present at her birth so that they kinda bonded/imprinted

Oh! Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜€

littleironhorse wrote:

How young is he exactly?

Paolini was supposedly 15 when he finished Eragon… He’s like 23 or something now. Honestly, I wasn’t impressed by Eragon (the book). There are a lot of 15 year-olds who could do that. Just look around the net, for goodness sakes!

It was a fun story to read, though. I enjoyed it, and would probably read it again–might have to, since I need to analyze a book for school and would totally love to bash Eragon into the ground, as it would give me loads of subject matter. Wheee.

*krrrhm*, but anyway. As for the movie, I want to see it. Just so I can complain loudly about the Eragon actor being blonde. HE IS SO NOT BLONDE IN THE BOOK. Aaarrrg. Drives me nuts. >_> (Maybe we can go see it this weekend, eh Vantid?)

Here is a really, really stupid (although by you people’s standards it’s probably genius…Kiddinnggg ๐Ÿ˜† ) parody of the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DBUW7o1lPI I laughed. I’ll admit it.

Even though I understand where all the hate for Eragon comes from, there’s so much of it that I think I’ll be in an “I love Eragon” state of mind until I see the movie… When I was reading the book I was full of complaints about it, but to be honest, it’s just not THAT bad (even if it is derivative and the writing isn’t great). For those of you who haven’t read it yet, I’ll say that it’s worth it, just so you can complain about it. You know? Hehe. Anyway. I’m done talking everyone’s eyes out… sorry… XD

SPark
            Participant

Well, I think the hate for it is in reaction to the people who are all “ZOMG! Best book ever! Wow!” about it. I read it, it was readable. I liked some bits.

SPark wrote:

Well, I think the hate for it is in reaction to the people who are all “ZOMG! Best book ever! Wow!” about it. I read it, it was readable. I liked some bits.

I think that’s correct, that a lot of people are almost responding to the fans of the book more than the book itself, in some ways *chuckle* I didn’t mind reading the book, even after my brush with awkward writing on the second page heh heh

sunhawk wrote:

SPark wrote:

I think that’s correct, that a lot of people are almost responding to the fans of the book more than the book itself, in some ways *chuckle* I didn’t mind reading the book, even after my brush with awkward writing on the second page heh heh

Yeah… which is precisely why I want to be on the book’s side, now. Or just remain neutral. It WAS honestly a decent book! Crappier things have been published, but you don’t hear people complaining so much about them, because there’s a smaller fanbase. Yeah. I forget what my point was.

Anyway, I was just looking at that anti-shurt’ugal (however you spell thaaat..) website, and according to them Paolini didn’t even finish Eragon when he was 15. He just started writing it then, and finished it 4 years later. Pfft. Ticks me off that people judge him by his AGE…

Here is the truth…..
              really…

There has not been a decent fantasy book in ages. Even Lackey…my bestest and most favorite author has been mearly “okay” lately. I am so desperate for fantasy of any kind that read the book. I was so desperate…I read the second one. And I am soo desperate…I will go see the movie.

I have read almost everything on the shelves of the fantasy bookshelves at B&N…its a very sad state.

So bad or good….I will go and see. And be glad to have SOME fantasy at all!
              ha

littleironhorse
              Participant

Chessapeaka wrote:

Anyway, I was just looking at that anti-shurt’ugal (however you spell thaaat..) website, and according to them Paolini didn’t even finish Eragon when he was 15. He just started writing it then, and finished it 4 years later. Pfft. Ticks me off that people judge him by his AGE…

I wouldn’t so much judge an author by their age, but I would say it is a factor, not of good or bad writing, but simply of substance. Really he might be an amazing 15 years old writer, but he only has the life experience of a 15 year old.

You can’t communicate what you haven’t lived. And, no offence to all the young people on the forum, many of you may have gone through a lot of things by the time you got to 15, but there is still so much more to experience emotionally, intellectually, physically and nothing but time will give you that experience.

So what I’ll say is, I haven’t read this book, I will read it, and I’m sure I will enjoy it very much.

I am anti-Eragon. I will only see it when it comes out on video for the sole purpose of making fun of Paolini some more because it makes me feel good about myself.

8D

Maria
                Participant

Well, the book bored me so badly I didn’t even finish the first one. My brother will take me to see the movie now that it’s out. I just want to see Saphira. I’m not expecting a good movie. I’ve read Lord of the Rings half a dozen times and seen the movies just as often, and I will inadvertently be comparing Eragon to that. I just don’t think the LotR series can be beat, so all other fantasy movies are automatically “passable” or lower.
                  I think teenagers can write perfectly good books – most don’t, but some can. And life experience isn’t so important for fantasy as other genres. You just need to have read a lot, which Paolini obviously did, since he copies it.
                  Anyway, comparing Eragon to other fantasy books I’ve read – which admittedly aren’t many; I don’t read much fiction at all – I just don’t understand why it became such a bestseller. It’s LotR runoff like so many others.

whippetluv wrote:

Here is the truth…..
                  really…

There has not been a decent fantasy book in ages. Even Lackey…my bestest and most favorite author has been mearly “okay” lately. I am so desperate for fantasy of any kind that read the book. I was so desperate…I read the second one. And I am soo desperate…I will go see the movie.

I have read almost everything on the shelves of the fantasy bookshelves at B&N…its a very sad state.

So bad or good….I will go and see. And be glad to have SOME fantasy at all!
                  ha

Have you ever read any Charles DeLint books? I adore his stuff and his new book “Widdershins” is really neat! ^_^ I also recently got a copy of “Dreams Underfoot” which is older but is such a good collection of short stories ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 121 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.