fbpx

Eragon

Home Forums Miscellany Community Eragon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Nina
    Participant

Nina
      Participant

Ok so did anyone see Eragon over the weekend? What did you think? I thought it was worth the money to see it because the dragon, Saphira looked so cool! I didn’t like the look of the elf (no pointed ears?) and where are the dwarfs? If you have read the books the whole movie felt rushed and they left out/changed alot of things. All & all the dragon was still really cool & it’s always great to see a dragon on the big screen.

Akeyla
        Participant

yes, Saphira made the 12 bucks worthwhile πŸ™‚
          though there was some… anatomically painful wingfoldings, but thats just for the critterartistfreak AKA me πŸ˜‰
          I dont want to spoil anything for all you still wanting to watch the movie but I must say: had they done that to my book I would have twisted in my grave. Which makes me wonder wheter Paolini was there or not when setting/characteres/etc were done/decided. I can see Saphira very much as he had her written down in the book, the rest was… I dont know. It was more like “book sold great, they will come to the cinema” thing which made me a bit sad.
          oh, bway, was it me or were some of the villages the same ones from Dragonheart?

Those pesky villagers ALWAYS having dragon problems!! They need to put the dragon repellent out in the yards and maybe the dragons wouldn’t keep coming back…silly medieval people!

littleironhorse
          Participant

Saw it, loved it, but I haven’t read the book yet, I’m getting it for Christmas. I’m sure I will love the book even more, I always do. Although I agree, it did seem a bit sketchy to me. But Saphira was SOOOO beautiful!

PS: There was an elf? Where? I didn’t see one?

Akeyla
            Participant

*g*
              arya was an elf, the lady eragon was eyeing πŸ™‚
              I am told that he really puts out all his flirting skills in the second book to win her love… ooohhh.. spoiler, bad me πŸ˜‰

Nina
              Participant

littleironhorse wrote:

Yea the girl he saves Arya is supost to be an elf. Don’t know what happened to her ears? And when he meets the Varden there are supost to be dwarfs!? I noticed the wing folding thing too ouch! But loved that she had feather-scales.

Jennifer
                Keymaster

I haven’t seen it yet… I might catch a daytime showing for a cheap ticket, but I’ll only go for the eye candy.

This has been discussed before but Eragon as a whole makes me really sad… it’s just an example of how knowing the right people means you get ahead in the world.

Mind, I’m not trying to bash it, but for those so inclined, the following link may be of interest:

Anti-Shurtugal: http://www.anti-shurtugal.com/

From what I’ve heard, the movie makes the book look good. Which is completely depressing! But, I do enjoy eye-candy… Hmm. πŸ˜‰

This review made me laugh too!
                  http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eragon/

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

littleironhorse
                  Participant

enchantments wrote:

littleironhorse wrote:

Yea the girl he saves Arya is supost to be an elf. Don’t know what happened to her ears? And when he meets the Varden there are supost to be dwarfs!? I noticed the wing folding thing too ouch! But loved that she had feather-scales.

Now that’s just silly (The film makers not what you said) for someone who hadn’t read the book, there really isn’t any way to know that! What were they thinking?

Akeyla
                    Participant

looking back at my older writings I am so happy my parents were not publishers or had a lot of money/believed in publishing fame being all you need.
                      that would be my hardest critique to the whole product of Paolini.
                      Nevertheless, amazing job on pulling it through, with or without the stepping stones errr slight inspirations.
                      Nambroth, I in particular curiosly eyed the design of Saphira, cause, except for the color and the fishy scales she reminded me a lot of your designs.

Jennifer
                      Keymaster

Akeyla wrote:

looking back at my older writings I am so happy my parents were not publishers or had a lot of money/believed in publishing fame being all you need.
                        that would be my hardest critique to the whole product of Paolini.
                        Nevertheless, amazing job on pulling it through, with or without the stepping stones errr slight inspirations.
                        Nambroth, I in particular curiosly eyed the design of Saphira, cause, except for the color and the fishy scales she reminded me a lot of your designs.

That’s kind of you! Though I digress, I’m already starting to get comments on my existing artwork such as “That reminds me of Saphira!” and “Is this based on Eragon?” Which is a little depressing. πŸ˜‰

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                        My art: featherdust.com

Participant

Ok. Stupid question time! πŸ™„ I haven’t read the book, nor seen the movie so please don’t pelt me with rotten vegtables for asking some really stupid questions.

Who is Saphira and who/what is Eragon?

Akeyla
                          Participant

dohhh,… those. ohgreat. But you were there first. I’ve seen many dragons being the dracomic critter freakazoid lover I am, but feathered membranes? Thats something I only saw on your works.
                            And of course we could start a whole evolution war of whose dragon was here first now, and two horns are stereotype, but the feathered head? the pointy curved hornes and the thick neck? that isnt what you could really call your everyday dragonheartcrocodileD&D dragon. ahhh… bookmarked the antishurtugal, must read in a calm minute πŸ™‚
                            I read the second book cause I got it as a xmas gift and was curios concerning paolini and his age. Finished it then cause I hoped it would get better (I admit, I liked the begining). Last christmas I was gifted with both the english and german “Eldest” cause it had just become a fad round here. I think I read ten pages of the english one and then gave it away…
                            oh I’m bad tonight πŸ™‚ Usually I support young writers 😈

littleironhorse
                            Participant

How young is he exactly?

Nambroth wrote:

I haven’t seen it yet… I might catch a daytime showing for a cheap ticket, but I’ll only go for the eye candy.

This has been discussed before but Eragon as a whole makes me really sad… it’s just an example of how knowing the right people means you get ahead in the world.

Mind, I’m not trying to bash it, but for those so inclined, the following link may be of interest:

Anti-Shurtugal: http://www.anti-shurtugal.com/

From what I’ve heard, the movie makes the book look good. Which is completely depressing! But, I do enjoy eye-candy… Hmm. πŸ˜‰

This review made me laugh too!
                              http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eragon/

I share your feelings and my overarcing feeling when watching the movie was “This is like a copy of a copy of a copy” because it was this mashed together plot that rushed through everything and ignored whatever interesting subplots the original book may have brought in (which weren’t many, truth be told). If your source material isn’t particularly strong, the movie you make from it is going to be very vague and confusing.

I also wonedered why the elves didn’t have pointed ears and why at the end there, they were vaguely dressed like Native Americans, it was odd. But i seriously spent the whole movie going “AH THIS IS LIKE LOTR EXCEPT WITHOUT A DWARF AS COMIC RELIEF” πŸ˜† Also, my dad and i had fun refering to Saphira’s egg as a watermelon and the Dark Fortress as a big piece of lego :X

That said, like everyone else i think the movie was worth seeing just to see Saphira, she was adorable and gorgeous, plus i love Rachael Weiz (sp?) who did her voice ^_^

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.