fbpx

eBay Rant!!

Home Forums Miscellany Community eBay Rant!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Skeeterdeee
    Participant

I just had an awful experience with eBay and needed to let it out!

This week I put a couple things up on eBay to have a little spending cash. I listed an item and was asking 99 cents for it. The bidding SKYROCKETED to $70!! I couldn’t believe it! I was already spending the cash in my head, I was so excited! I would have been happy with the 99 cents, to tell the truth. The bidder had e-mailed me every day with every question he could possibly ask and I answered each one in vivid detail. When the auction ended I didn’t hear from him, so I sent an invoice (correct thing to do, right?). A couple hours later I get an e-mail from him saying, “I ain’t paying $70 for THAT! Are you NUTS??”. So, I went to the Resolution Center and filed a “cancel transaction” case, reason being “bidder changed mind on item”. I was told that an e-mail was sent to the winner to agree to the cancellation, HE WON’T AGREE!!!!!!!!! 😡 Now I’m stuck with the $7 eBay fee because he was a jerk!!! It’s people like him that take the fun out of eBay for people like me 🙁 I want to send him a nasty e-mail back, but he still has the option to leave me feedback and I don’t want a negative ruining my 100 % rating. I would have been happy with the stinkin’ dollar, now I’m $7 in the hole! (I even tried the second chance offer, but I don’t blame them for not taking it, it’s not worth $69. I just want my eBay fee back, DARN IT!). After selling four items, I now owe eBay more than I made. 🙄

If anyone else has had a STINKY experience with eBay, feel free to rant here with me!

Thank you for letting me vent, I’m really upset about it.

Skeeterdeee
      Participant

frozendragon
        Participant

eBay and paypal are horrible and do nothing for the sellers..

I sold something to someone in Malaysia, they didn’t want to pay any shipping at all.. and like yours asked every question under, around and over the sun.. and even asked some twice… when they won and paid I send the item and when I sent the information they then said well why did you send it like that, you should have sent it this way and now I’ll never get it, they never deliver those and blah blah blah on and on and on..

and of course not long after they sent and item not received claim to paypal and even though it shows the item in transit on tracking, paypal gave them their money back and now they keep calling me because I didn’t have the whole amount in paypal (duh cause someone has to pay bills).. so now eBay wants money, paypal wants money and there’s not a thing I can do about it because I’m the seller..

so the person in Malaysia has the item and the money they paid for it.. and I’m totally screwed..

at least you’re only out $7.. I’m out close to $1000.. so yeah not playing with either of those places anymore

Anonymous

::sigh::: It’s awful to hear these stories. I think eBay/PayPal stinks because of their high fees, and when something out of the ordinary happens, BUYERS are protected. I am a buyer AND a seller, and well – I think there are always 2 sides to a story.

Frozendragon, if you have tracking information or proof that your package was accepted at the post office, that’s all you need to protect yourself. While immediately both eBay and PayPal protect a buyer, you most definately should repute it – and while you are at it, go to bbb.com and file a complaint against both eBay and PayPal and believe me, you will get your money back.

Skeeter, when a buyer sends bidding thru the roof, I always get suspicious. Number one, they probably are selling the same thing, and wanted to knock you out of the ballpark. So many dishonest people out there 🙁 I sold a used iPod Touch for my nephew and the ‘winner’ had like 5 feedbacks but hadn’t used that name in forever. Of course they didn’t contact me, of course they didn’t pay, and my second high bidder had of course already bought one from another seller. People like that bid with no intention to pay, just because you are selling something they sell………but in your case, you had received contact from the buyer questioning everything and you spent time answering. When they wrote not wanting to go thru with the auction, they should have initiated the withdraw from sale. If they wrote to you via MY EBAY (and always always ALWAYS contact people using your MY EBAY) – then you have proof to eBay that they withdrew from the sale. Write or call eBay and ask them to reimburse you your fees. They will usually do it….. I think there’s a link where you can contact them with a problem. DO IT. And if they don’t reimburse you, head on over to the bbb.com as well. You should get your money. And don’t even say it’s only $7………..do you know how many seven dollars from thousands of people they get to keep??? Don’t give them the satisfaction!

I’m out of room. I could go on! lol

Jennifer
            Keymaster

I’m sorry you both have had such terrible experiences. This is one of the many reasons I no longer sell through eBay, even though I suffer a ‘lack of audience’ for it, so to speak. 🙁

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

Skeeterdeee
              Participant

Poems wrote:

Skeeter, when a buyer sends bidding thru the roof, I always get suspicious. Number one, they probably are selling the same thing, and wanted to knock you out of the ballpark. So many dishonest people out there 🙁 I sold a used iPod Touch for my nephew and the ‘winner’ had like 5 feedbacks but hadn’t used that name in forever. Of course they didn’t contact me, of course they didn’t pay, and my second high bidder had of course already bought one from another seller. People like that bid with no intention to pay, just because you are selling something they sell………but in your case, you had received contact from the buyer questioning everything and you spent time answering. When they wrote not wanting to go thru with the auction, they should have initiated the withdraw from sale. If they wrote to you via MY EBAY (and always always ALWAYS contact people using your MY EBAY) – then you have proof to eBay that they withdrew from the sale. Write or call eBay and ask them to reimburse you your fees. They will usually do it….. I think there’s a link where you can contact them with a problem. DO IT. And if they don’t reimburse you, head on over to the bbb.com as well. You should get your money. And don’t even say it’s only $7………..do you know how many seven dollars from thousands of people they get to keep??? Don’t give them the satisfaction!

I’m out of room. I could go on! lol

Thanks! I got the ball rolling with cancelling it like it never happened. What gets me is that the buyer has to “approve” the cancellation, why does he get the control when it doesn’t affect him any? What really bugs me is that this is the 4th thing I have EVER sold on eBay, and basically I had to give the first three away to pay this fee. I was hoping to make a few bucks for the holidays coming up, but now I’m afraid to even mess with eBay. Any contact we had with each other is stored in MyEBAY, just in case.

Frozendragon- if I was out that much I would be making a huge stink to everyone involved! Don’t let them get away with that! I guess there are a lot of crooked people out there that have to ruin it for the rest of us. I feel bad whining about $7 when it could’ve been much worse, it just really bugged me & he was rude to me for no reason 😥

frozendragon
                Participant

yeah.. rude people bite too..

I tried everything I can to dispute it.. and now they’re telling me it’s too late since they’ve made their decision..

unfortunately it’s they buyer’s word against the seller’s and since it’s international, there’s even less a seller can do..

and as for the BBB.. the company has to be a member of the BBB for a complaint to be lodged.. and even at that it’s only a complaint, it’s not like the BBB can do anything either..

Lokie
                  Participant

I’m curious, skeeterdeee, why didn’t you put in a claim as Item Not Paid For (or something or other) with Ebay? They obviously bid with no intention of paying, so why not take the power out of their hands and put a strike against them? And doesn’t Ebay refund listings in those cases as well? And are more likely to remove negatives from those buyers? Please correct me if that’s no longer the case as I’m out of touch with Ebay.

Anyways, really sorry you have to go through that. Add me to those who are fed up with Ebay. I haven’t sold there in a while since the 21 day payment holds started and the forced 5 “free” listings (but with higher end fees 😡 ).

Skigod377
                    Participant

Im sorry, too, but I would also do what Lokie suggested. I am a buyer and a seller and I am about to file a non paying dispute against a newbie Ebayer who has not paid or contacted me but has bought and paid for something else in the mean time. Sorry you have to go thru this, but I would def not take it lying down.

Frozen, all you should have needed was the tracking info. Your case did not get handled right at all, from what I see.

Ebay has taken care of me as a buyer on several occasions… mostly with fake True Religion jeans, so I have not had a problem yet. We’ll see how it goes on the selling end.

Skeeterdeee
                      Participant

Lokie wrote:

I’m curious, skeeterdeee, why didn’t you put in a claim as Item Not Paid For (or something or other) with Ebay? They obviously bid with no intention of paying, so why not take the power out of their hands and put a strike against them? And doesn’t Ebay refund listings in those cases as well? And are more likely to remove negatives from those buyers? Please correct me if that’s no longer the case as I’m out of touch with Ebay.

Anyways, really sorry you have to go through that. Add me to those who are fed up with Ebay. I haven’t sold there in a while since the 21 day payment holds started and the forced 5 “free” listings (but with higher end fees 😡 ).
                        I’m new at selling, so I really don’t know how it all works. I thought if I claimed it as Item Not Paid, all that eBay would do is send him an e-mail telling him to pay. He made it VERY clear he has no intention of paying (I have the rotten letter saved in My Ebay, but I don’t know what to do with it).I thought simply cancelling it would solve the issue, but he’s being a jerk-wad about it.
                        He has a week to agree, after that week can I claim it as not paid for? Or is it too late to do that? Now I wish I would’ve asked you guys for advice before I opened the claim, but I was just so mad! 😡

twindragonsmum
                        Participant

I’ve never sold on e-bay, I just buy… I’ve been very lucky, I guess – never had a problem… *keeping fingers crossed that it stays that way* I’m sorry skeeterdee – that would be very frustrating!

twindragonsmum

tdm

Rachel
                          Participant

Frozen, if you have proof that you sent your item, the value is high enough that you should talk to a lawyer. It’s theft, outright.
                            Skeeterdee, it sucks that you are going through this. But bidding on ebay is a contract. You SHOULD have some way to make him pay. That being said, I have never sold on ebay, so I don’t know the best route to do that. You have proof that you had lots of communication with the buyer and that he intended not to pay though he knew better. Should be worth something.

Anonymous

Frozen: You need to file a claim with the Better Business Bureau AGAINST PayPal and eBay. They sided with a buyer, and you have PROOF that you mailed the item to them. They claim it was never mailed? I’m losing track of whats going on. You don’t file the claim against a person. I will imagine a couple of things here: eBay AND PayPal have been paid, they got their fees – you don’t have the item, and you have proof you mailed it. BBB will side with you; this is a claim against a company that requires proof of mailing an item, they took your money and your item. File a claim.

Skeeter, I’ve sold over a thousand things on eBay and have had problems maybe 10 times. I don’t like those ten problems! The only time you file for MUTUAL AGREEMENT TO WITHDRAW is when the buyer (or seller) agrees to do that beforehand via contact. Otherwise, you wait for payment which never comes and the moment you can, you file an UNPAID ITEM CASE – and wait until you get your final value fee back. When they said they weren’t going to pay you, you might have backed out of further contact, waited the 5? days and then filed the claim for unpaid item. You didn’t know, and you were very kind to that moron buyer. DEFINATELY contact eBay to let them know you messed up and need your FINAL VALUE FEE credited because the buyer isn’t paying. I made a couple mistakes when I was new, and when I CALLED and spoke to an actual representative, they refunded my fee. Nothing every gets accomplished via emails. I don’t care if its only $7. – its YOUR money – and if they don’t give it to you then seriously file a claim against eBay with the BBB.

drag0nfeathers
                              Participant

Hey, if they bid that high they obligated themselves to the item. They have an obligation to either pay you, or get an item strike. It’s not your fault the put in a bid they later decided to back out on. I hate people like that! 👿

We’ve had the discussion a hundred times with Windstones. They are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. If they bid on the item, they agreed to a contract binding them to pay for what the bid on, for the price they bid on it for. End of discussion. *nods* I hope you are able to work this out.

I hate ebay as a whole, I owe them about 80 dollars right now for selling about 120 worth of stuff. I don’t even understand how the fees added up so fast and so quickly…. *sigh* I prefer other sites like furbid and stuff like that. There is an insertion fee and that’s ALL! None of this final value crap. They just don’t get anywhere as near of traffic as ebay does and they know that so they charge ludicrous prices and keep getting away with it because they can.

Got a busted Windstone?
                                drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                                Calypso Hatching Empress
                                Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                                Tattoo Mother Kirin
                                Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                                Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                                Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                                Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                                Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                                Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

frozendragon
                                Participant

I did have tracking information, but according to paypal they only give about 10 days after the claim is filed for the package to arrive, and since it’s malaysia and it can take weeks to get out to one of those little islands, they went ahead and sent the buyers money back..

as for a lawyer, if I had the money for one of those.. I wouldn’t have been selling stuff on ebay..

and I’m not sure if you understood about the Better Business Bureau, but I’ve talked to them before and they only file complaints against companies that are a member of the BBB if paypal or eBay isn’t a member they don’t do anything, but if they are and you file a complaint.. then they send a letter to them for explanation..

they don’t police them and half the time they don’t even do anything, the BBB is only good for consumers looking into companies to see if they have complaints and how they handle them..

basically since eBay and paypal are all the same company and they have pretty much a monopoly on online selling and money sending.. there’s not much you can do about anything..

and I agree with everyone else on the buyer not paying.. file a non paying claim on them.. and hopefully we can have one less crazy buyer on there..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.