fbpx

Do You Like to Detail Peices….??

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Do You Like to Detail Peices….??

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Purplecat
    Participant

I’ve got an old hartland performance horse, at least I think he’s the performance horse, and he’s been the worst that I’ve ever worked with. Either the paint refuses to stick to him and flakes off or it does this nasty crinkle effect I hate. I’m about ready to toss the meanie in the trash. And I actually did lightly sand most of his body to make the paint stick but now it’s crinkling on his eyes and nose. Aaaaaaaarrrgh! πŸ™

SPark wrote:

Holy crap!

I just finished sanding, spraying, and putting the first layer of base coat on my resin horse. (He’ll need a second layer, this first one is streaky.) That was a TON of work!

I’ll say right now, that prepping a model horse and putting on basecoat takes MUCH more work than prepping a Windstone. There’s just no comparison between the two at all. I can have a Windstone from the box to ready for detail work in an hour, but this guy took me all day!

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. Windstones are wonderful, and perfect in all ways. They are so fun to paint, some of those little scales are tricky, but overall, there’s no painting eyes, hooves(I spend over an hour doing the two front hooves of Knightly Candience, and while they are awsome, an hour for two hooves is insain). Windstones….ahh, NO SANDING. Gosh. I hate sanding. And, even when I pay someone to do them for me, they still come back unfinished, and I still have to sand down more, even after paying $35 a horse plus round trip shipping(hence why I do all my own stuff now).

BTW, when I say “basecoat” what *I* mean is that the bay horse is already bay, just needs mane/tail/eyes/hooves/markings added. When I say basecoat on a windstone, I mean the whole darn critter is painted, and all that needs is the trimmings. Just thought I’d clarify that.

Oh, back to resins, those carbide scrapers from Rio Rondo do help. I have the entire set, although I find I only really use the one.

purplecat wrote:

I’ve got an old hartland performance horse, at least I think he’s the performance horse, and he’s been the worst that I’ve ever worked with. Either the paint refuses to stick to him and flakes off or it does this nasty crinkle effect I hate. I’m about ready to toss the meanie in the trash. And I actually did lightly sand most of his body to make the paint stick but now it’s crinkling on his eyes and nose. Aaaaaaaarrrgh! πŸ™

I’ve never messed with a hartland, but I’ve heard horrible things about them. πŸ™ I’m sorry. It sucks loosing a nice paintjob to a turd horse. Go get a nice Breyer and chuck the hartland.

SPark
      Participant

purplecat wrote:

Have you considered doing a spray coat of something to put a layer between the plastic and the paint? I got this stuff recently that’s meant to be a matte, clear basecoat for resin. It makes your paint stick without changing the color you’re working with. Is interesting stuff. (It’s from Japan, and is called Mr. Superclear, but I imagine there are American equivalents.)

SPark wrote:

purplecat wrote:

Have you considered doing a spray coat of something to put a layer between the plastic and the paint? I got this stuff recently that’s meant to be a matte, clear basecoat for resin. It makes your paint stick without changing the color you’re working with. Is interesting stuff. (It’s from Japan, and is called Mr. Superclear, but I imagine there are American equivalents.)

Primmer. If you use the stuff at walmart in the automotive section, that’s what I use, and it does help(for some reason I thought you were using it). If you’re just painting right on the plastic, that’s your major issue. πŸ˜€

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.