fbpx

Do You Like to Detail Peices….??

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Do You Like to Detail Peices….??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Ok, here’s my question. In the model horse land, a lot of times I will basecoat horses, and then send them to someone else to detail them becasue i hate detailling, and I’m not as good at it as many other folks. Usually it’s one for one, I basecoat one horse in exchange for one horse to be detaile. OR, we sell the combo horse,and split the profect. Works really well, esp if you’re one of the folks who doesn’t have/like airbrushing.

My question is, would anyone be intrested in doing that here in Windstone land? I can airbrush darn near anything if I have a picture of it. To make shipping and all worthwhile, it’s probably be best to do 2-4 at a time.

I just thought I’d toss that out there. I paint critters for a living, and always look for ways for me(and you) to make a couple bucks more, and make a better profit.

that end line was supposed to be “better product”, not profit. It’s not all about the money

Maria
    Participant

Darn that I’m halfway across the world. I’m a very finicky painter, and I love doing small stuff. I just spent six hours doing one side of a Kirin, scale by scale.

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Darn that I’m halfway across the world. I’m a very finicky painter, and I love doing small stuff. I just spent six hours doing one side of a Kirin, scale by scale.

Holy crap.
      I have a friend that paints entire horses one hair at a time. She’s insain. it takes her a week of 12 hours a day to do one horse. BUt, she gets $800 for a paintjob, and her work is WICKED COOL.

yeah, wish you were at least in the states. We’d have to do a LOT of windstones to make the shipping worth while πŸ˜•

I like doing detail work, even if it makes my eyes cross! LOL

bluepony78 wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Holy crap.
      I have a friend that paints entire horses one hair at a time. She’s insain. it takes her a week of 12 hours a day to do one horse. BUt, she gets $800 for a paintjob, and her work is WICKED COOL.

yeah, wish you were at least in the states. We’d have to do a LOT of windstones to make the shipping worth while πŸ˜•

Who is your friend?

CherylKaufman wrote:

bluepony78 wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Holy crap.

Who is your friend?

Billie cambell. She inspires me to do better work πŸ™‚

its a really fair trade in breyers because of all the prep work…they require sanding and seeming and priming and then a basecoat. But with windstone PYOs they just need a basecoat and then off you go. I think that for a paint trade, its not overly fair, I would think the detail work would take way more time. So You might be better off to find someone to hire to do the detail work.

But maybe that is just me.

whippetluv wrote:

its a really fair trade in breyers because of all the prep work…they require sanding and seeming and priming and then a basecoat. But with windstone PYOs they just need a basecoat and then off you go. I think that for a paint trade, its not overly fair, I would think the detail work would take way more time. So You might be better off to find someone to hire to do the detail work.

But maybe that is just me.

I figured it was worth asking.
      Sorry, after i re-read that, it did look rude 😳 My appologies. Sometimes internet isn’t so handy because you can’t hear tone. no hard feelings? πŸ˜†

bluepony78 wrote:

I figured it was worth asking. Just because basecoating looks easy and fast doesn’t mean it is.

I didn’t mean to be insulting. And I do basecoating too…its easier by far than detailing…to me. Maybe not to everyone! I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.

whippetluv wrote:

bluepony78 wrote:

I figured it was worth asking. Just because basecoating looks easy and fast doesn’t mean it is.

I didn’t mean to be insulting. And I do basecoating too…its easier by far than detailing…to me. Maybe not to everyone! I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.

No, not at all! i’m sorry, next time I’ll add a smilie πŸ˜€

I usually spend 2-3 hours basecoating a horse, and an hour detailing it. I find that putting the dapples and all that junk on takes longer than 15 layers of white on the socks. Course, windstones don’t get dappled, so maybe they’re faster. I just don’t like detailing. I think it’s boring. Figured there was no harm in posting. πŸ˜€

WolfenMachine
      Participant

I’d offer, I love doing details! Unfortunatly I wouldn’t say my work is great right now haha Plus, I don’t always have loads of free time….but if you ever get desperate lol πŸ™‚

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

The details on these guys is pretty intense compared to a breyer horse. (not that they are more detailed, just in different ways) Like for example on a horse you have what? hooves, facial painting, mane and tail maybe right? (I’ve never painted one so I don’t really know) Then on a dragon (for an example) There are the claws, alot of areas in the scales where you kind of need an additional color, arm and leg armor, wingwebs, dorsal highlighting, facial scales & horns, feathers & whatever I forgot, LOL. They can get to be pretty time consuming.

It might work well for Ki-Rins, wolves, and maybe griffins. The beak and arms on them can be a pain sometimes.

I guess it’s all in working out a bussiness associate who isn’t too far off so shipping wouldn’t overkill it. Hopefully it works out.

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

SPark
          Participant

Holy crap!

I just finished sanding, spraying, and putting the first layer of base coat on my resin horse. (He’ll need a second layer, this first one is streaky.) That was a TON of work!

I’ll say right now, that prepping a model horse and putting on basecoat takes MUCH more work than prepping a Windstone. There’s just no comparison between the two at all. I can have a Windstone from the box to ready for detail work in an hour, but this guy took me all day!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.