fbpx

Different Casting for Brown Male?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Different Casting for Brown Male?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie
    Participant

Well, I’m always trying to find things that make my pieces ‘special’, so forgive me if I’m showing my lack of Windstone knowledge with a silly question.

I just bought a brown family off of ebay. They’re beautiful, with the darker stripe down their spine.

The question I have though is regarding the male – specifically his face. His eyes seem more ‘hooded’, and he looks like he’s about to fall asleep. I looked closer, and noticed that the shape of his scales are different when compared to my silver. He’s also lacking some detail around his eye. Did you make changes to the male mold recently?

Thanks for your time!

Stephanie
      Participant

Purplecat
        Participant

Ah! I have the answer for that one. Melody posted once that the early male dragon castings (old greens, browns) sometimes had to have the upper eyelids sculpted individually, because of overhang problems on the sculpt. I have similar problems with some of my castings. 😀 Sooo, the older castings sometimes got individual attention. 😀

Pegasi1978
          Participant

He’s not quite a squinty-eyed male. I remember there being something mentioned once upon a time about some of the early green and brown dragons needing their eyebrows resculpted after they came out of molds or something like that.

Stephanie
            Participant

Ah! Thanks for the info, I didn’t know that. 😀

Zelda
              Participant

The Astral Castle Windstone encyclopedia has a great set of pictures of a true ‘frown-eyed’ brown male, here:

http://www.ccgs.com/windstone/wslist/maledrbrn2.htm

I have an old brown male that may be similar to yours, with his left eye that looks a little more squinted than the right. Another male of mine has a right eye which resembles yours, and still isn’t as open as the one on the silver. Melody did mention redoing the sculpts over time, but distortion of old molds after extended use may have some part to play in things as well.

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Kujacker
                Participant

Zelda wrote:

The Astral Castle Windstone encyclopedia has a great set of pictures of a true ‘frown-eyed’ brown male, here:

I have an old brown male that may be similar to yours, with his left eye that looks a little more squinted than the right. Another male of mine has a right eye which resembles yours, and still isn’t as open as the one on the silver. Melody did mention redoing the sculpts over time, but distortion of old molds after extended use may have some part to play in things as well.

Wow. I looove that “frown eyed” male. Wow.

Travistie
                  Participant

He looks very mad!

Zelda
                    Participant

It’s amazing how much change you can get in the piece by just altering the eyebrows! The males go from angry and brooding to alert and comparatively quite sweet. I like both styles for those different reasons! Sooner or later I’ll line up my two older brown males with a more recent one, when I get him, and take a comparison picture.

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Melody
                      Keymaster

Stephanie wrote:

Well, I’m always trying to find things that make my pieces ‘special’, so forgive me if I’m showing my lack of Windstone knowledge with a silly question.

I just bought a brown family off of ebay. They’re beautiful, with the darker stripe down their spine.

The question I have though is regarding the male – specifically his face. His eyes seem more ‘hooded’, and he looks like he’s about to fall asleep. I looked closer, and noticed that the shape of his scales are different when compared to my silver. He’s also lacking some detail around his eye. Did you make changes to the male mold recently?

Thanks for your time! The older Male dragons did have different eyelids. Our first “production master” that the molds were cast off of were made of gypsum and the eyelids almost always broke when we cast a mold.I needed to replace, and recarve the eyelid with wax each time we cast a new mold. I didn’t recarve the individual pieces, each dragon cast out of the same mold will have the same eyelids, but there were lots of molds. The most extreme example of the squinty eyelids is the “Wedding Cake” male dragon. (Who ended up with that one? Maybe you could post a pic? He is also pictured in our ebay gallery if you’d like to see him.) I sculpted the eyelids so close together on that male that we could hardly get the eyes in. He looked really evil. The later males were cast from an epoxy master . I made the eyes permanently nice and open.

Melody
                        Keymaster

Zelda wrote:

I have an old brown male that may be similar to yours, with his left eye that looks a little more squinted than the right. Another male of mine has a right eye which resembles yours, and still isn’t as open as the one on the silver. Melody did mention redoing the sculpts over time, but distortion of old molds after extended use may have some part to play in things as well.Oh yeah, there he is! Maleficent in brown.

Stephanie
                          Participant

Alright, thank you for your reply! 😀

LOL at malificent!! He looks like the fledge just woke him up! “Dad…Dad?…DAD!!!” so cute!!

pipsxlch
                            Participant

My old green male is squinty eyed. There was a thread about it awhile back, last year sometime. I remember there were a fair number of pics of different males in it!
                              Thanks for the photo comparison also! The green male is my only male, so I didn’t realize the different detailing in th newer ones.

I LOVE THE LOOK of the eyes on Stephanie’s brown male,,, CUTE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.