fbpx

Curios and Shelving to Show off your WIndstone..

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Curios and Shelving to Show off your WIndstone..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    laphon1
    Participant

CherylKaufman wrote:

Quote:

I’d have cried if that happened to any of my collections!

I did.

laphon1
      Participant

Keschete and Maebnus: Both those cabinets are lovely!

keschete
        Participant

Maebnus3 wrote:

keschete wrote:

What do you all think about this one…and could you share pics of your cabinets / shelving to give me some ideas?

That one’s more ornate, but otherwise very similar to mine. The shelves are 5/16″ thick
          http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s97/Maebnus/Windstone/cabinet5.jpg
          Why the heck does my pic look monstrously huge if I try to IMG it in?

What brand is yours. I am looking at Pulaski and Howard Miller. The big Howard Miller is desgned specifically for the Christmas Village collectibles and they are pretty heavy

Here is the link for my second choice http://www.howardmiller.com/Product/Details.aspx?StyleID=83

keschete
          Participant

CherylKaufman wrote:

Keshetie, those are beautiful shelves- where can you find them?

If you search for Pulaski Curio 20888 or Courtland the furniture store here has one in stock and quoted me $1097.00 which is a decent price for the cabinet.

The Howard Miller one is $2000.00 but seems to be more solidly made. I would have to order that one.

Maebnus
            Participant

keschete wrote:

What brand is yours. I am looking at Pulaski and Howard Miller. The big Howard Miller is desgned specifically for the Christmas Village collectibles and they are pretty heavy

Here is the link for my second choice http://www.howardmiller.com/Product/Details.aspx?StyleID=83

Mine’s Philip Reinisch, apparently. It looks *exactly* like the Pulaski one here (tho that has a better entry & is 2″ deeper) http://www.homegallery.us/shop/curio_cabinets/mirrored_back/curio_61.html.
              But that Howard Miller one is way deeper though… oh, the possibilities… I might have to consider that one once I move and have room for another big honkin’ cabinet.

siberakh1
              Participant

laphon1 wrote:

Pegasil wrote:

Quote:

There’s been discussion before about glass shelves and Windstones, but I’ve never heard of glass shelves actually breaking.

I have. I also collect Eskimo and Native American soapstone carvings. I had a display case with glass shelves on which my soapstone carvings were displayed. I have no idea how it happened but the top shelf broke and cascaded onto the lower shelf. Voila! Many badly damaged pieces. Some smashed to smithereens. Several years of collecting up in smoke. No more glass shelves for me. And the glass was supposed to have been tempered.

So now it is only plywood shelves with veneers for me. No particle board type shelves either.

Tempered glass can last for a really long time, but it a hairline crack happens (and you’d never know it), it shatters into little tiny pieces. We have tempered glass on the top of some wooden side tables for an extra covering. One shattered while my dad was walking past it. He didn’t even breath on it. Yet we have some that are well over 30 years old. I’m going to be making one eventually, when I have the room, with the help of my dad out of some sort of wood.

dragonmedley
                Participant

This IKEA one is smaller, but it allows for less pieces to be displayed (therefore avoiding the overload problem) and to have several throughout the room(s). It’s also relatively inexpensive. You can also put in a light at the top. (I need to get one!)

I also have the just-plain-wall-shelves and a bookshelf.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                  I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Laurie
                  Participant

The shelves in that Ikea case can only carry a max of 13 lbs. I have one but I only have my small dragons and flap cat in it.

keschete
                    Participant

Maebnus3 wrote:

Mine’s Philip Reinisch, apparently. It looks *exactly* like the Pulaski one here (tho that has a better entry & is 2″ deeper) http://www.homegallery.us/shop/curio_cabinets/mirrored_back/curio_61.html.
                      But that Howard Miller one is way deeper though… oh, the possibilities… I might have to consider that one once I move and have room for another big honkin’ cabinet.

Let me tell you…I am really considering ordering the Howard Miller. I really love the pictures and it looks like it is designed to hold some good sized pieces.

Also all my dragons are small. My two biggest pieces are Old Warriors and all the rest is smaller stuff…I don’t have any Spectrals or Emperors….or any Secret Keepers….soooo…maybe the Howard Miller is the one I should buy.

keschete
                      Participant

dragonmedley wrote:

This IKEA one is smaller, but it allows for less pieces to be displayed (therefore avoiding the overload problem) and to have several throughout the room(s). It’s also relatively inexpensive. You can also put in a light at the top. (I need to get one!)

I also have the just-plain-wall-shelves and a bookshelf.

Look at the cute little pup on his bed!!! to cute!

SilverDragon
                        Participant

im looking for one too. I want one that can hold the weight. ……..i’ll find one eventually. then i can have my dragons back up on display. right now they are in boxes, because i have just moved into my new house. 🙂

Author of “Moonlight Walkers” book and artist for the Trail of Painted Ponies Co.
                          Follow for updates: twitter.com/cmooreauthor

Maria
                          Participant

Those wooden cases are really pretty! Perfect for displaying Windstones.

dragonmedley wrote:

it looks like your puppy is recharging by plugging itself into the wall. 😆 😆 😆

Maria
                            Participant

😆 😆

😆 hee hee!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.