fbpx

Creatures from El – update about postal, etc progress!

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Creatures from El – update about postal, etc progress!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 178 total)
  • Author

Yes me again, sorry if anyone is bugged by my pimping my friend, I just can’t resist offering her critters to folk who I know will love and appreciate them ^_^

Anyhoo! I know there have been some recent problems with the post office regarding stuff arriving broken and El has been working on improving both the packing materials and making her creatures less prone to breaking off all together! πŸ˜€ I thought I’d post her own words about it, hopefully avoid me accidentally misleading anyone ^_^

From http://creaturesfromel.livejournal.com/

“All Creatures From El will be shipped in one of two ways;

Standard; Each creature will be shipped by ground or air, pillowed in bubble wrap and a layer of foam peanuts, then double boxed.

Covered; Each creature will be wrapped similarly to as described above but will be fully insured. This process generally ships faster than standard. It is defiantly more expensive, with average packages costing twice as much but they are full covered.

I send most packages by standard so please inform me if you want covered. Any package can be next day shipped or express posted on request.”

“I’d also like to announce a new discovery in creature innovation; I now have found a surface treatment method that, whilst it cannot stop internal cracks if you say drop a critter, virtually eliminates the ability for chips to come off the critters or pieces to sever. For fragile sculpture this is, of course, a big deal! I knock my own pieces off shelves all the time : ) and it also takes some pressure off the reliability of Mr. Post Office for those frequent flier critters. Because I believe this is such a beautiful find I’m sorry to say I think I’ll have to keep chemicals involved a secret though (sorry agian). Being a surface treatment (to be applied after paint) I will be adding it to all previously made stock. “

Woot woot! πŸ˜€

And now for something different…

Polar Bear
    http://creaturesfromel.livejournal.com/33728.html

Night Linx
    http://creaturesfromel.livejournal.com/32972.html

Mutlicoloured Critter (wall hanging)
    http://creaturesfromel.livejournal.com/32269.html

Solstice lion
    http://creaturesfromel.livejournal.com/32015.html

lamortefille
    Participant

That’s some good news! πŸ˜€ Maybe one of these days I’ll get one.

Oh, I really like that lion. I just wish I had some money…. I honestly could spend paychecks on her stuff.

I keep forgetting though, I need to email her and ask her about how to hang the night horse up. I can’t figure that one out at all.

Mmloda
      Participant

WOW….the lion and the polar bear are my most favorite… πŸ˜€ I might also have to get one….but first i gotta save for it… πŸ˜€

Have you ever done a tiger… ❓
        If you do one I WILL HAVE TO GET IT… πŸ˜†

Marzena

These are truly beautiful. My favorites are the Night Lynx and the Solstice lion. Man I wish I had some money in order to commission your friend.

mmloda wrote:

WOW….the lion and the polar bear are my most favorite… πŸ˜€ I might also have to get one….but first i gotta save for it… πŸ˜€

Have you ever done a tiger… ❓
        If you do one I WILL HAVE TO GET IT… πŸ˜†

I’m not El, but she has done many cats so a tiger would probably be no problem ^_^ You can always commission her to do one for you, just the way you want πŸ˜€

Thanks everyone for your kind words, I know El appreciates them ^_^

Skigod377
        Participant

I really like the style! I wish her pics were a little better so I could see the colors more.

skigod377 wrote:

I really like the style! I wish her pics were a little better so I could see the colors more.

Do you know an affordable way to improve lighting for art photos? ^_^

Skigod377
          Participant

sunhawk wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

Do you know an affordable way to improve lighting for art photos? ^_^Nope. I dont know crap about photography, but she said she would try to get some lighter pics to me when she gets a chance.

Thats what I meant in the original posts… guess I shoulda said “lighter pics” instead of “better pics.” 😳

skigod377 wrote:

sunhawk wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

Do you know an affordable way to improve lighting for art photos? ^_^Nope. I dont know crap about photography, but she said she would try to get some lighter pics to me when she gets a chance.

Thats what I meant in the original posts… guess I shoulda said “lighter pics” instead of “better pics.” 😳

Oh! I do know that it can be a pain to photograph sculptures, I usually try sunlight (being free and strong :X) but I have been investigating how to set up an affordable way to improve lighting, if I perfect anything I will be sure to share it with El ^_^

If El doesn’t get a chance, if you have any particular pic you’d like to see better, I can try my hand at improving it in Photoshop ^_^ I do that for some of the artists I host on my domain πŸ˜€

Jasmine
            Participant

If you’re in Toronto, try Henry’s. They have nice lamps just for photography. We got a couple when we bought our light box so I could photograph our Windstones for insurance purposes. They give great almost natural light.

Lokie
              Participant

sunhawk wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

sunhawk wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

Oh! I do know that it can be a pain to photograph sculptures, I usually try sunlight (being free and strong :X) but I have been investigating how to set up an affordable way to improve lighting, if I perfect anything I will be sure to share it with El ^_^

If El doesn’t get a chance, if you have any particular pic you’d like to see better, I can try my hand at improving it in Photoshop ^_^ I do that for some of the artists I host on my domain πŸ˜€
                If you are looking for a way to get pretty accurate colors and don’t have the equipment or money for an indoor setup, I’d recommend taking the piece outside, on a slightly overcast day. If it’s not convenient to wait for a day or particular time the sun is covered by clouds, move the piece to an area that is not in direct sunlight. You want ambient lighting. Consider making a reflector box- I’d suggest getting some white foam core boards or matt board (or something similar that reflects light), so that you can put them on the sides of the piece to help bounce light around. You can play around a bit with the backdrop to see what colors and it’s brightness work best. Also, you can have a small piece of the foam board (I think TF said she used a white paper plate before πŸ™‚ ) that you place in front of the piece if you so choose and can tilt or move to different angles as you photograph. Position it so that it reflects light into dark areas or crevices you might want illuminated.

There is a thread here somewhere on the forum where this was discussed. I’ll look, because at the time, I found it immensely helpful to creating my own setup.

Jasmine wrote:

If you’re in Toronto, try Henry’s. They have nice lamps just for photography. We got a couple when we bought our light box so I could photograph our Windstones for insurance purposes. They give great almost natural light.

I keep meaning to go there sometime, I mean I’ve walked BY it a number of times! Definitely will have to do that, thanks ^_^

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 178 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.