Copper Cowry dragons coming soon to an Ebay near you

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Copper Cowry dragons coming soon to an Ebay near you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Arlla
    Participant

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
      -J R R Tolkien

Arlla
      Participant

Hi gang!!

Jeez, I’m totally out of the loop… I really need to catch up. How the heck are you all doing?
        It’s been a rough… what… almost a year? Around our house, and I haven’t had much time for painting, but I’m doing my darndest to get back in the groove! Dragons have always been really intimidating for me, because the scales are so smooth and hard to paint, but I’m giving it a go…

I had a few hatching empresses and a hatching emperor, and I just love doing the eggs. ๐Ÿ™‚ So I’m starting with those. Of the two I’m picturing, though, only the brown one will go to the factory to get sold – While I was painting the blue one, I discovered much to my dismay that the casting was bad – she’s covered in little pin holes. They don’t even show up well in the pictures, but it really does look terrible in person. And pretty much every other thing that could go wrong in the painting process did, so she’s a real mess and will stay home with me to be a color sample.

This brown gal’s colors were modeled a little bit after a caramel Cowry shell, so I’m calling the color Copper Cowry. The paint is subtly iridescent, and there’s just a little bit of color on the feathers of her wings – red and green – that reminds me a little of the color sheen on the top of oil. It’s done with interference paints, so you can’t quite see it until the light hits it at the right angle. Her nails and horns are an antique gold. Her shell is sealed matte and the dragon herself glossy. I hope to paint more dragons like this, if you guys like the color! Tell me what you think.

This is the baby that won’t be sold, due to her pin holes, but let me know if you guys like the color. It’s hard to get a good blue, and I’m not totally satisfied with this one. She was inspired by those big beautiful blue and black butterflies with the pearly dots on the edges of their wings… I really don’t know what they’re called. Her name is Eleanor, and whoever gets the reference gets giant kudo nerd points. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I used some of the old ‘toad’ eye balls for her, since they don’t fit anything at all and I wanted to use them for something.
        Maybe an oriental in this color…? Sheesh, I’m going to get myself into trouble. That would be really hard to paint!! Anyway, let me know if I should try to put it on something else

And finally some things to come, little hatching pegasi and the eggs out of our friend’s barn that served as the inspiration for all the eggs. I hadn’t blown out eggs since I was in kindergarten… it was harder than I remember! (the yellow junk on the one in the back left is masking fluid that I haven’t peeled off yet. It lets me splatter the egg without getting paint on the rest of the sculpture.)

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
        -J R R Tolkien

dragonmedley
        Participant

Man, the eggs look great! I love the brown dragon, but I’m not sure about the blue yet.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Anonymous

Oh my gosh!
            I just love both of them!… Pin holes or not, I would still buy her!
            The blue color is really cool! 8)

I would love to see more dragons in that blue/cream color! Truly beautiful! and I just love what you did with the shell!

Nicole
            Participant

Love them both as well. I really like that brown one, but that blue one is the first blue dragon I’ve liked. Great job! I also love the egg colors on the pegasus babies

megamibabe16
              Participant

Those eggs look great. I like how you changed the color of the eggs. The brown hatcher reminds me of a Velociraptor. For both dragons I love the way that you did the wings. The blue hatcher’s coloring is quite lovely. It reminds me of a certain butterfly. I cannot remember which one it was though.

wow, I adore the blue– looks like a bluejay to me, one of my all time favorite birds… and I agree with whomever said they’d buy it, pinholes and all!

Oh, wow…. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I would SO buy anything done in that blue. What’s the going rate for a lung these days?
                The caramel/brown baby is stunning, too, but my very favorite color in the whole world is that blue. I even named our farm Royal Blue Farm. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Rachel
                Participant

That brown one is the first hatcher I’d ever consider buying. I LOVE it!!

PurpleTurtle
                  Participant

Those a gorgeous ๐Ÿ˜ฎ . I love both of the hatching dragons – but I particularly love the brown one ๐Ÿ˜‰ .

Adaneth
                    Participant

They’re both striking, but since I don’t like browns….well, obviously it’s the blue that has my fingers twitching. REALLY looking forward to seeing what you do with those hatching pegasi–might have to start saving pennies! ๐Ÿ˜€

Great work on all those eggs! ๐Ÿ™‚

I love both of the hatchers! Including the blue one, pinholes and all (you can see them on the closeup pic of her arm). I’d like about anything in that color…. although I’d have to sell a kidney to afford them.

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

*SWOON* I LOVE the first brown one! She looks almost like a hatching dinosaur for some reason, but I LOVE the colors and the placement! You never loose your touch do you?! ๐Ÿ˜€ I like the blue alot too, but it’s funny… even though I’m always about the bright colors, I favor the brown one over the blue.

Got a busted Windstone?
                        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin
                        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

bayoudragon
                        Participant

OMG! They are both stunning! I love them both! ๐Ÿ™‚

And as an entomologist, I feel obligated to try for the nerd points… Blue Morpho, maybe? :scratch: ๐Ÿ˜†

drag0nfeathers
                          Participant

I was thinking a Blue Fish
                            http://www.saversplanet.com/wallpapers/blue-fish-wallpapers_6581_1024.jpg
                            Missing the yellow though so I’m probably wrong

Got a busted Windstone?
                            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                            Siphlophis Male Dragon
                            Calypso Hatching Empress
                            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                            Tattoo Mother Kirin
                            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.