fbpx

Coffee Table Book?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Coffee Table Book?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie
    Participant

I got this idea today, and wondered if it’s ever been considered. Have you ever thought about doing a coffee table book of Windstones? I look at all the stunning pictures on the website, and the ones listed for ebay auctions and think – those would look great in a book, with notes about each piece, and sitting on my coffee table! Much like the Trail of Painted Ponies books.
      Especially with self-publishing sites out, it could be pretty easy to put together, I’d think…it could be a fun project. People could even submit pictures of their own collections, PYOs…I’m a computer nut but I also adore tangible things, so I’d love a book of photos and stories. Stories about how people got into Windstones, about their favorite pieces, the history of Windstones compiled…I’m rambling now, I know. πŸ™‚
      Anyway, that’s my after-midnight thought! It’s something I’d be interested in working on. Thanks!

Stephanie
      Participant

Leigha
        Participant

I think that’d be neat to have πŸ˜€

Starbreeze
          Participant

Oddly enough, this question came up almost exactly one year ago. Here’s the link: πŸ˜‰

http://www.windstoneeditions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=63093&highlight=coffee+table+book#63093

BDW
            Participant

Melody wrote:

pheonixx wrote:

Wonder if anyone has ever asked this…but have you ever thought of producing one of those coffee table photography books of all your art? There are so many original pieces that have been sold, are still on the back shelves of the factory (paint tests?) and are still being produced, that I have no doubt you could put together a quality book and sell it for about $60 apiece. The old Windstone booklets were really cool and something along those lines on a larger scale would really sell like hotcakes. Especially for those who want to own, but can’t afford some of the larger pieces (all the OWs, Secret Keepers, etc). Plus, it’s a great way to display your one-of-a-kind sculptures that will never be sold. I know a lot of artists have had success with this type of endeavor and it also works as advertisement for the Windstone name. Anyway, just a thought. πŸ˜‰
              ~pheonixx

We want to do just that. I don’t know if it will be a big beautiful “coffee table ” book, but a book of the Windstone collection. Maybe we can get it together for Windstones’s twenty-fifth aniversery in three years.
              Or, maybe have a series of collector books, since we are always doing new things..
              We just don’t got time to work on it now!!

Stephanie
              Participant

Thanks, BDW!

It’s all about the timing eh? I think its a marvelous idea. I just hate the thought of waiting three years πŸ˜€

Please clicky eggs ***

Please click to help my dragon eggs hatch

Pegasi1978
                Participant

I’d be willing to put it together. I’d gladly sink the money for getting a windows version of Quark (it’s a program designed to build things like newspaper pages and advertising posters) or even Adobe InDesign (though I’d have to learn this one πŸ˜† ) and build it myself! It would be so easy to do as well.

I used to design pages at a newspaper and at one time I was one one who made all the changes that were needed to the templates we used. I don’t know what my average would be on building now that I’m almost five years out, but I used to build (and proof) an average of 12 pages in 6-7 hours. That included having to search through stories to pick them as well as find and clean up pictures to go with them (if space allowed). When I wasn’t building pages I was the one who took care of all the needed downloads (can you say comics and TV grids).

Stephanie
                  Participant

I would love to work on it as well. I’ve got no experience professionally, but some experience with private design stuff, and High School yearbooks. I just think it’d be fun collecting all those pictures and stories and organizing them. πŸ™‚

Rusti
                    Participant

pegasi1978 wrote:

I’d be willing to put it together. I’d gladly sink the money for getting a windows version of Quark (it’s a program designed to build things like newspaper pages and advertising posters) or even Adobe InDesign (though I’d have to learn this one πŸ˜† ) and build it myself! It would be so easy to do as well.

I used to design pages at a newspaper and at one time I was one one who made all the changes that were needed to the templates we used. I don’t know what my average would be on building now that I’m almost five years out, but I used to build (and proof) an average of 12 pages in 6-7 hours. That included having to search through stories to pick them as well as find and clean up pictures to go with them (if space allowed). When I wasn’t building pages I was the one who took care of all the needed downloads (can you say comics and TV grids).

*laughs* I was just about to say, I know (and have) InDesign, I will has a degree in August, pay me in Windstones and I’ll do it for you!

Collaborative project, perhaps?

Edit: It’d be a fun portfolio piece too. I could get excited about it. If someone else proofed (because I suck at proofing) and someone wanted to gather the photos and information, I can create the pages, edit the photos, arrange copy and make it killer. I’d love the experience.

So long as I was able to include it in my portfolio to show for prospective jobs.

Jennifer
                      Keymaster

I don’t mean to be a wet blanket, but Windstone likes to have pretty tight control on their items like this- John in particular likes things formatted in a certain way. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                        My art: featherdust.com

Stephanie
                        Participant

Jennifer wrote:

I don’t mean to be a wet blanket, but Windstone likes to have pretty tight control on their items like this- John in particular likes things formatted in a certain way. πŸ™‚

*grins* I figured, but didn’t know the idea was already floating around out there.

Rusti
                          Participant

I already work in an office with strangely particular people, nothing new. ;P

It would be cool to have notepads and things like that with pics of windstones on them. A person like myself would have loved to have school supplies with windstones on them too. Like notebooks,binders, those sort of things.

My most wanted list: Peacock kitty wizard, carnelian mouse wizard, copper patina frog wizard, autumn leaf poads, pumpkin spice kitties

Patricia
                            Participant

the dragon collector wrote:

It would be cool to have notepads and things like that with pics of windstones on them. A person like myself would have loved to have school supplies with windstones on them too. Like notebooks,binders, those sort of things.

We can probably get some of that done through the cafepress store…right?

gray

green

blue

purple

While hiding somewhere in my head I'm on the lookout for white oriental dragons! Please let me know if you know of any available. Thank you!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.