fbpx

Choosing a first PYO

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Choosing a first PYO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

I’m getting a PYO soon, with my “play money” share from our tax return, but I don’t know yet which one. So, I’d love to hear from all of you…

Which PYO piece did you choose as your first? Why? If you could do-over, would you have picked a different piece, or the same one?

I did a dragon first, because that was the first one out πŸ˜† , but I personally like to do the Griffins and the Kirins the best. Kirins are neat because there is a mix of fur and scales, and Griffins are neat because its fur and feathers. I suck butt at scales so I stay away from the dragons as best I can, fur and feathers is much more forgiving πŸ˜€ .

Heres a Kirin I did for our last swap:

And my second Keeper Dragon:

And my only Unicorn:

I am just a dabbler, I do them for fun!

Leigha
    Participant

I don’t remember what my first piece was. I think it was a dragon that I screwed up so badly that I threw it away…

I really enjoyed painting the muses I’ve done. That’s a good one to try.

I also love to paint the kirins. I love the fur/scale combination, but dislike the unicorn and griffin and I’m not good with the dragons. There’s something about the fur scale combination that I find easier to do. 😈

Over all else…Griffins. A Griffin was my first, and I love them best. I had a Unicorn who spent a LONG time in her box before I brought her out. I like those too, and Keepers. Much easier for me to work with because of their size when it comes to scales. Although Ki-Rins are fun to do. I avoid the Muse like the plague, although BD is making harder for me to resist the little buggers!

My first Griffin

My last Griffin

So over time you see, we all improve. Don’t let them scare you away. πŸ˜‰

My first order was for a Kirin and a Griffin. I think I did the kirin first, then got ambitious and went to the griffy. I love the griffins, and the kirins. Haven’t done any dragons just yet, although I have a keeper and a small dragon here hiding in their boxes. I haven’t done dragon scales just yet. And I have a Uni sitting in the wings waiting for me to make up my mind about how I’m going to actually paint her….gee,*I* don’t know exactly how yet, which is why I HATE having to pick the eye colors ahead of time. 😈

dragonmedley
      Participant

My first was a griffin, and that’s because they were the first PYOs produced. At the time, they didn’t even have the Windstone stamp embedded in the plaster underneath. I had absolutely no clue what I was doing and at the time, you bought them on ebay, eyes already in. By the time I got there, only the orange and red eyes were left, so I went with orange eyes (the red still creeps me out).

Then the dragon came out, so off I went to paint one!

Afterwards, the kirin came out and I just fell in love with painting these little guys. Then came the wolf, followed by the unicorn and finally, the keeper. The muse arrived some time before the unicorn, I think.

You can’t know which one you’ll like better as far as painting goes. I love painting the kirin and the unicorn. The wolf and the dragon are okay, though the dragon has particularly tricky spots in the tail-front end. I’m not sure about the keeper, as I only painted one so far.

So just pick one and go for it! I can’t wait to see the results πŸ˜€

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

The griffs were first??? LMAO ok then I still did a dragon first, πŸ˜› .

The only one i have without the stamp is a Kirin that Melody painted, he also has a horn from an Oriental, LOL.

Pegasi1978
        Participant

I painted a wolf first. He was going to be one color, but that didn’t turn out well so he became another. Still have him. I’ve painted more kirins than anything else I think, but small dragons are a close second. Still need to finish up my latest Griffin and start my muse. I’ve also been reconsidering repainting two kirins I still have.

My first few were a dragon which I screwed up on SO BADLY that he was unsalvagable. I had to throw him away. Second was a griffin or a wolf…. I don’t remember which I did first… lol

PurpleTurtle
          Participant

My first PYO was a dragon then a griffin. I bought them together. I almost totally screwed up my first dragon. It proved to be a very challenging critter to paint. The griffin was not as hard – but still a challenge. I think my favorite to paint is the Kirin. I still haven’t painted the Muse.

dragonmedley
            Participant

ruffian wrote:

The griffs were first??? LMAO ok then I still did a dragon first, πŸ˜› .

The only one i have without the stamp is a Kirin that Melody painted, he also has a horn from an Oriental, LOL.

That kirin was a prototype; she presented it when this forum didn’t exist – we were on LiveJournal then. I’m not even sure how many of these prototype kirins there are. Not many, though!

And now I don’t recall which came first: the dragon or the kirin.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Lokie
              Participant

The gryphon was my first. I was on Ebay looking for gryphon related items for a (now ex) bf’s gift (he loved gryphons), and found the PYO gryphon ebay auction. =) It was the only PYO in production at that time and even though I wasn’t in love with the sculpt, I painted it as a gift. I’m glad I bought it only because it lead me to the forum. πŸ˜€

Availability may be a factor in your choice since casting isn’t back into full swing yet, but I’d recommend picking the PYO that speaks to you most. Happy painting πŸ™‚

bayoudragon
                Participant

My first PYO was a uni, but only because I snagged it off of eBay.

If I had to suggest a first PYO, I would pick the wolf or the kirin…
                  (1) They’re not as big as the griffin or the keeper (I was actually a little shocked at the keeper’s size at first).
                  (2) There are two textures on the sculpts. The wolf has fur and feathers; the kirin has scales and hair.

If you get a keeper, and THEN realize you hate working on scales, you’re in for a very long painting session! LOL!

If you want to sample all the textures, then you can get the muse (and there are some currently in the store). If you’re a neat freak like me, be warned… the muse has a TON of edges to keep nice and straight. It’s not the easiest sculpt (thank goodness it’s small), but it WILL improve your painting skills. πŸ™‚

But at the moment, until they get the casting issues straight, just grab what comes available. πŸ˜€

WindstoneCollector wrote:

I avoid the Muse like the plague, although BD is making harder for me to resist the little buggers!

Come to the dark side! πŸ‘Ώ πŸ˜†

Maria
                  Participant

My first PYO was a griffin, because it was available first. Personally, I find the wolf the easiest one to paint. I’ve painted all of them except the Keeper though, and they’re all great fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.