fbpx

Cerberus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

He’s basically done, except for several places that need touching up. They won’t show up on the pics, though, so I figured I’d post some preliminary photos.
      On the other hand, things you don’t see in real life show up on the photos, for example the faded-looking spots in the black. Those are completely invisible in real life, but I will go over them again before sealing the paint. His red is completely embedded in black, dark black above and lighter black below, but black all the way around, so the red really snaps out.

Primary yellow, cadmium red, titanium white and mars black mixed with and iridescent medium. Twenty hours of work, probably one or two more after the refining is done.
      I do like this guy, but I’m not entirely satisfied. I keep thinking the lava feathers look somewhat sloppy with their rough edges, even though it’s exactly the effect I wanted.
      All in all, Cerberus didn’t turn out according to plan. He turned out better. When I started on him, I only knew that I would start with a base coat of yellow and red fire, and that the wings and feathered body would be chunks of lava over that. Those were a lot of work; the black had to be exact, because I couldn’t cover it over with anything afterwards.
      After finishing his midsection, I began on his cat part. The plan had been to follow the same pattern. I wanted to put hardened, black lava on the muscles, leaving streams of lava between the muscles, in the bends. I started on his off side and found out quickly that plan wasn’t so good. I removed the black as best I could and went to plan B: the tiger stripes. Those were much better, but his off haunch remains slightly darker than his right side.
      Finally, last night and today, I turned my attention to his head and neck. His hackles turned out beautifully, and I took the liberty of copying drag0n’s firebird’s beak and putting the same color scheme on the claws.
      The “chevrons” on the top of Cerberus’s head was the last non-touch-up thing I did.
      When I painted Cerberus, I tried not to make a copy of SPark’s elemental or drag0n’s firebird. Sorry the pictures aren’t so great. I can’t take him outside for better one’s; the weather is too lousy. But y’all get the idea. More pictures are on my Photobucket site.
      After all that work, even though he’s not perfect, I’m very proud of him, especially considering he’s only my second PYO. Maybe Nirvana won’t like him and I can keep him… πŸ™‚
      Please, do critique. I want to improve with every griff. My next project is Xerxes, a Royal Griffin.

Maria
      Participant

Patricia
        Participant

Wow… 😯 He looks great! Nice job!

While hiding somewhere in my head I'm on the lookout for white oriental dragons! Please let me know if you know of any available. Thank you!

Maria
          Participant

Thanks Keppy, but the pictures really suck. I’m going to try to take some better ones someplace else. These here don’t do him justice at all. Even the ones of Pliny turned out better.

Maria
            Participant

Like now. These pics are much better and closer to the real thing. I shouldn’t rush things. 😳 Hope you guys like this fella! My little brothers, the ones who like my Windstone collection, keep asking me why I told Nirvana she could have him.

SPark
              Participant

He looks pretty darn good!

Skigod377
                Participant

Wow. He is beautifull!! I love the head and neck esp, and the butt turned out wonderfully!

i really like how you did the back of his head and that flaring bit of flame colour beneath his ears ^_^

He looks great! I love the fur on the lion part — it really makes him look like he’s on fire and contrasts nicely with the rest of him. The talons and the beak complement the color scheme beautifully too.

Though I wonder if he would look even better with yellow eyes, which would contrast better with the red on the head?

lamortefille
                  Participant

I esp. like the work on the head and neck. I think you did a great job! πŸ˜€

Maria
                    Participant

Thanks for all the compliments, ladies. Makes me feel good about him. I keep wavering between thinking he’s really an awesome job and being dissatisfied with half my work. But if you like him, he can’t be too bad.
                      Now I understand drag0n’s shaken confidence in her gorgeous firebird… πŸ˜€
                      Mimi – I know about the eyes. I bought a yellow and a red eyed griff and debated the entire time as they made their journey across the lake to me which one should become Cerberus. I finally decided on red because I figured they would just look more fitting to match his name. SPark used yellow on her elemental, which really shine out, but I decided that yellow eyes are cattish – cool, withdrawn – rather than fiercely aflame. Can’t say whether I made the right choice. I’ll try to work the black so the red stands out more. But I did think about it first.
                      Thanks for the special comment on his rear, Ski. I’d never planned on doing real animal markings, so I copied off drag0n’s blue jay griffin in the gallery. Didn’t turn out too bad for a first try.

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

WOAH! He’s INTENSE!

Got a busted Windstone?
                        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin
                        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Maria
                        Participant

Ahh, just the compliment I was waiting for, from my favorite griffin painter. Thank you, drag0n. πŸ˜€

I think you did a good job on the feathers. I am kind of uncertain about the lion’s belly part. To me it looks kind of plain compaired to the rest.

drag0nfeathers
                          Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Ahh, just the compliment I was waiting for, from my favorite griffin painter. Thank you, drag0n. πŸ˜€

He reminds me of the Elemental one a little, but this one has ALOT more detail! You can really tell you put ALOT of time into it! I especially love the plumage around the neck and how you managed a complete change of the feather pattern so abruptly, yet really smoothly at the same time. It came out PERFECT! I see my beak idea came in handy =D You definately made it work alot better then I did.

I love the top of the head too. Very interesting.

I see what someone was saying about the plain belly, I think the belly is fine but I’d add a stripe or two on the shins maybe. I bet that would make it match up with the rest of the really patterened parts.

Got a busted Windstone?
                            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                            Siphlophis Male Dragon
                            Calypso Hatching Empress
                            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                            Tattoo Mother Kirin
                            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.