fbpx

Buying Windstone Editions Dragons on Ebay

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Buying Windstone Editions Dragons on Ebay

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    fatalbeauty
    Participant

I don’t know. I think my experience takes the cake on poor packaging. I bought a large happy cat off of ebay and the seller sent it in a bubble envelope. Just… put in the envelope like you might send a common plastic toy. Needless to say, it was shattered. Kyrin was kind enough to fix him up, though.

I think people assume because they are so heavy, and appear very sturdy, that they can’t be hurt.

O.O why god why?

4 things I'm looking for:
      1. Mother Meerkat
      2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
      3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
      4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Jennifer
      Keymaster

The oriental I rehomed initially came wrapped in some tissue paper, inside a used coke box. Yes, the flimsy, single-ply, with holes it it box to take home 12 cans of soda. The one that usually rips when you are carrying it…

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

I have gotten probably a good 6-8 windstones in my day from ebay with damage. Not too bad considering probable half my collection AT LEAST came from ebay so that’s easily 150 pieces.

What I do, is inspect auction photos very carefully. Always contact the seller if I have concerns on packaging or want better photos. If an auction gives me ANY bad feeling what so ever I pass it buy and wait for the next one. Every time I have taken a “chance” with something I wasn’t 100% confortable with I have usually regretted it. I have lost most items because they were lots. I won’t buy lots anymore because people just CANNOT package two windstones in one box. They HAVE to be each boxed seperately whether they go into another box together or are shipped completely seperate from eachother. Sometimes people just DO NOT DO what you ask, even if you offer extra money to do it. It’s sad. All but one of my breaks (which was a Lap Dragon where his horns got ripped out of his head) were from more then one being in a box together.

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

I don’t know. I think my experience takes the cake on poor packaging. I bought a large happy cat off of ebay and the seller sent it in a bubble envelope. Just… put in the envelope like you might send a common plastic toy. Needless to say, it was shattered. Kyrin was kind enough to fix him up, though.

I think people assume because they are so heavy, and appear very sturdy, that they can’t be hurt.

0.o a BUBBLE ENVELOPE? Good lord… I’m surprised their brain cells were connected enough to post an auction in the first place!

Got a busted Windstone?
            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
            Tattoo Mother Kirin
            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Aaron
            Participant

It’s been nice reading through the comments because I don’t feel so alone! And you all have offered great advice. I think I really just needed to make sure I wasn’t in the Twilight Zone because I have had two sellers argue with me about their packaging in the past two weeks. The first seller shipped an emerald lap dragon in a priority mail box. The dragon barely fit in the box and just had paper tissue surrounding it. Needless to say, the dragon arrived hornless and with a tail that was broken in multiple pieces. When I asked the seller for a refund and showed the link on Ebay describing how to properly package a Windstone, she claimed that this was the post office’s fault and that the double packaging method wasn’t required. The second seller sold an emperor dragon and a fledgling and packaged them in the same box. The Ebay listing said that the seller understood how to ship high value collectibles and that it had engineered packaging for each piece since it didn’t have the original. The seller wrapped each piece in separate shopping bags and put them in one large but weak box filled with popcorn. Both pieces were damaged from head to toe because they kept smashing together during shipping, which this seller also claims is the carrier’s fault (in that case Fed Ex).

Both sellers also tried to claim that my only recourse was shipping insurance. This violates Ebay policy because, as I learned this week, shipping insurance only protects the sender, not the buyer. It was interesting reading the numerous articles online explaining that Ebay buyers should never pay extra for insurance because Ebay requires its sellers to get the item to the buyer as described, period. If the item is lost or damaged in shipping, Ebay requires its sellers to rectify the situation. Shipping insurance only applies to help the seller recoup its costs from the loss or damage in shipping, but the shipper must provide documentation that they properly shipped the items.

Both sellers had the audacity to ask for my help with filing their insurance claims by telling the carriers that the sellers properly packaged the items. Not only did I refuse to do this, but I told them that if the carriers contacted me, I would tell the carriers that these items were inadequately packaged and that both claims should be denied without question.

I understand some of the ignorance that can occur with respect to proper shipping, but I simply do not understand failing to take care of customers who have paid hundreds of dollars for items that arrived shattered.

Because Ebay tends to take care of its buyers, I remain confident buying on Ebay. The one policy they should change, however, is that if an item is described incorrectly and/or arrives broken, the buyer shouldn’t have to pay the return shipping.

scenceable
              Participant

Both sellers also tried to claim that my only recourse was shipping insurance. This violates Ebay policy because, as I learned this week, shipping insurance only protects the sender, not the buyer. It was interesting reading the numerous articles online explaining that Ebay buyers should never pay extra for insurance because Ebay requires its sellers to get the item to the buyer as described, period. If the item is lost or damaged in shipping, Ebay requires its sellers to rectify the situation. Shipping insurance only applies to help the seller recoup its costs from the loss or damage in shipping, but the shipper must provide documentation that they properly shipped the items.

Both sellers had the audacity to ask for my help with filing their insurance claims by telling the carriers that the sellers properly packaged the items. Not only did I refuse to do this, but I told them that if the carriers contacted me, I would tell the carriers that these items were inadequately packaged and that both claims should be denied without question.

^^^ This x a million. Insurance pays the seller. Therefore insurance is the seller’s problem. If you pack it poorly, no shipping company will give you money back for you claim.

I’ve never bought a windstone from ebay (except from windstone)… I am sort of scared to after reading this thread.

Chloe
                Participant

If it makes you feel any better I just received a perfectly packaged Windstone young brown dragon in MINT condition yesterday from an eBay seller….so there are good ones out there!!

Chloe
                  Participant

Because Ebay tends to take care of its buyers, I remain confident buying on Ebay. The one policy they should change, however, is that if an item is described incorrectly and/or arrives broken, the buyer shouldn’t have to pay the return shipping.

Amen! I second this very much. I am out a lot of money in return shipping for items that were not described correctly or arrived broken.

Edit: When I say “items” I do not mean only Windstone pieces, I mean general buying experience. I bought a OOAK hand-carved sculpture from the artist and it arrived broken because of poor packaging. The artist would only refund my money upon return, which of course I had to pay for. Keep in mind, this was a well-known, famous artist, and quite an expensive piece.

He told me he would repair it and return it to me, but as I collect with an eye for the future value, I could never in good conscience sell this in MINT condition knowing it had been broken and repaired, even by the original artist.

twindragonsmum
                    Participant

I guess I’ve been very lucky *keeps fingers crossed* as NONE of my Windstones purchased on ebay have arrived with any damage… Thanks for the great research piece you did, houseam. It was very eye opening to me and contained great info.

twindragonsmum 🙂

tdm

Christine
                      Participant

Here’s some things I’ve found consistent in auctions where I have a good experience:

+ Large photos that show more than one angle, and the bottom of sculpt
                        + DETAILED description of item, especially if they mention small flaws that can barely be seen in the photos. This shows that the seller has a collector’s eye and is honest about small imperfections. This is a huge indicator that the purchase will go well.
                        + Detailed description of how the seller plans to package the item
                        + Charges appropriate shipping cost–not too cheap (= item comes broken), not too expensive (= ripoff–dishonest).
                        + Has good Feedback from selling other Windstones (or fragile collectibles) already
                        + Windstone Forum Member
                        + Responds promptly and politely to any questions, and answers completely

All of these strongly suggest (but never guarantee) that the transaction will go as you hope, and the piece you purchase will arrive safely and as described.

And the Red Flags:

– One camera angle, blurry, or bad lighting
                        – Hastily written or vague description
                        – Doesn’t seem to know anything about the piece (desc. is just copypasted from Astral Castle or the Windstone Store)
                        – Says piece is NBD or mint when photo shows obvious dirt, or small chips
                        – Misidentified sculpt or color (calls a Young a Fledge, calls an Old Green an Emerald, etc)
                        – Shipping is far too cheap for the sculpture weight
                        – Negative feedback, or no feedback from buyers who purchased Windstones/fragile items
                        – Delayed/no response to questions, rude, or ignores some questions and answers others

These don’t mean you’re going to have a bad experience per se, but they do mean Buyer Beware. I have purchased Windstones from auctions with a lot of the red flags above, but if the seller is polite and communicates well, it’s sometimes worth the extra trouble. You gotta be prepared to educate people on how to ship these items safely, and to be crystal clear with your expectations as a buyer. Always be extra polite–remember that emails can come off as cold. If they respond with politeness back, I usually go for it. But if they’re rude and the auction displays those flags, the risk is almost never worth it.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.