Buying Windstone Editions Dragons on Ebay

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Buying Windstone Editions Dragons on Ebay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    Participant

I’m just wondering how others deal with problems with the Windstone Editions they order on Ebay. I’ve had to return 5 out of the last 9 dragons I’ve ordered on Ebay for two primary reasons. First, I collect the dragons in mint/like new condition. Although sellers will describe the dragons as perfect or like new, I’ve received them with chips, missing paint, scratches, etc. I’ve even had to point out flaws with dragons when I can tell that there is a chip or missing paint in a picture. Take a look at this listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windstone-Pena-1996-Hatching-Egg-Green-Dragon-Figurine-No-Papers-and-no-box-/221014539676?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33757e3d9c#ht_500wt_1196 I’ve also received 3 dragons in the last few weeks that were not double boxed. A lap dragon was smashed, and an emperor dragon and fledgling were chipped all over the place. One of the sellers then argued with me that Windstone Editions don’t need to be double boxed and that this was Fed Ex’s fault, and he refused to give a refund, stating that I need to file a claim with Fed Ex. In addition, Ebay’s policy is that the buyer pays return shipping, even for items that are inaccurately described or arrive damaged. I find it absurd that I should have to pay to return an item that is inaccurately described or damaged. That means I could be out $15 or more dollars per dragon with nothing to show for it.

So, I’m to the point where I’m becoming uncomfortable/insecure ordering off of Ebay, but I’m not sure where else to find retired and limited production pieces that are no longer normally stocked. For those who order off of Ebay, do you tend to have problems receiving dragons that are described properly? Do the sellers typically understand that the dragons should be double boxed? And, do the sellers typically require you to pay return shipping if a dragon is not described correctly or arrives damaged?

Thanks!

Pegasi1978
      Participant

I’d suggest contacting sellers before bidding and providing them with the windstone packing tutorial (found here) and ask if they will follow it. If they won’t, don’t bid.

Also if you are serious about bidding on a piece you can always request more pictures. Most sellers don’t mind sending you some.

Lupuslunae
        Participant

A lot of people here on the forum sell on ebay. It’s quite easy to determine from the auction listing if the item is from a serious collector who knows her/his stuff. I always love thos auctions more, but with everyone else, even if you contact them beforehand, it’s always a gamble!

Everyone has had their share of horror stories on ebay; you are not alone! I had a jade oriental I got at a cheap BIN price show up with nail polish on three of the huge side scales. The auction picture shows a little chip in the paint, and I bought it thinking the repair would be no big deal. Then I got to deal with sanding the damn nail polish off and repainting a much larger section than the original damage would have needed.

I just had a gothic white unicorn, BIN for $30 which was pretty damaged, stains and discoloring and chips on all the hooves and two large dents/holes on the non-display side. I bought him to fix him up because as much as I like the gothic unicorn sculpt in white, I don’t want to pay what they go for these days! So I get my already damaged unicorn and behold, the gypsum is like lumpy in places with hard knots all over it. From the pattern of discoloration on the lower part of the body, it looks like someone kept him outside for years. I’m thinking the gypsum got all deformed from the water/moisture?

So yeah, assume ebay sellers who are not collectors are clueless, because they are!

OH my I have horror stories too! White male….wrapped in NEWSPAPER and a single box. BROKEN and Newsprint staining. Mother damaged and HELLO……black magic marker to cover the damage….broken further and “Touched Up” before it even shipped! Broke more in shipping!!! WHAT……..Some people just have no clue or simply do not care!!!

fatalbeauty
          Participant

that’s why I always look at the pictures with the magnifer thing on Ebay and I’ve noticed if they don’t show one angle, if you try peeking at that point from another pic, there’s always damage there….and it’s not just dragons, most of the unicorns I’ve gotten have shown up with chips out of the nostrils, chips off the ears and chips in the hooves and some even with non matching paint where someone tried to cover up a chip….I don’t know why but baby white unis have been always the worst chipped, every one I’ve gotten off ebay has a chip out the back hoof, chips out of the ears and chips in the nostrils…sure I “save” these unis but still it must suck for someone who is looking for mint and gets ones like these….

4 things I'm looking for:
            1. Mother Meerkat
            2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
            3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
            4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

littleironhorse
            Participant

What I do, if I’m really interested in a piece, is hash out everything beforehand with the seller: going into minute detail about the state of the piece and making it clear that I’m very picky and only collect pieces in perfect condition, and also explain exactly what I want shipping wise. If the seller’s feedback is good, if the communication is good and if they agree to all my terms, then I’ll bid.

It does mean that I’ll often loose out on great BIN deals though.

Even so, I’ve ended up with inaccurately described pieces about 30% of the time. When that happens, rather than returning the piece, I’ll ask for a partial refund and re-sell the piece myself to recover all of my expenses. Otherwise, as you’ve said, you end up with the shipping fee and nothing to show for it.

It’s really hit and miss and I guess you have to decide if you’re willing to take the risk because, aside from local pick up, there’s just no guarantee of what you’ll be getting. Even with what you might think are safe bets.

Chloe
              Participant

It’s really hit and miss and I guess you have to decide if you’re willing to take the risk because, aside from local pick up, there’s just no guarantee of what you’ll be getting. Even with what you might think are safe bets.

I agree. I have had wonderful luck, and terrible luck. I still can’t receive an undamaged emperor, so still don’t have that sculpt after buying three. Yes, one arrived single-boxed wrapped in newspaper in what I was sure was a postal insurance scam. BUT (and this is a BIG one) I have had wonderful luck as well!

My biggest advise is to ask the seller A LOT of detailed questions about both the piece and how they are planning to ship. I like the idea of giving them the link to the packaging instructions! Ask for insurance on the piece.

That listing you posted was just awful. First it says “Good Vintage Condition” then later says “Looks like new!!” with very visible chips….sigh….some people.

Also, I have seen people here on the forum ship a Windstone box to the seller, and perhaps you could borrow one from a Windstone member as well. I know this is more expensive, and could totally negate the cost of the piece, but if you find something worth it there are alternatives to trusting the seller to pack correctly.

Good luck!

diane
                Participant

just wanted to thank you forem members for making me take a second look at the windstones on ebay. I have been lucky in some and not so lucky. now I take a 2nd look..

Kiya
                  Participant

The last ebay piece I got was from a seller who had sold Windstones before and had gotten good reviews on shipping.

I emailed her and asked if she would double box. She said of course she would! And at no extra charge. Sounded great.

I went to get the box and the top was caved in. When I picked it up, I could feel the other box bouncing around inside. I opened it up and this is what I saw:

Photobucket

Also, the dragon was advertised with no damage – there was a chip taped to a piece of paper in the box (presumably so I could find it!)

Honestly, the sculpt didn’t get MORE damaged by the shipping (despite the seller’s best effort), but it certainly does go to show that you can’t even trust ebay sellers with a good record of shipping Windstones previously all the time.

Puffpastryofdoom
                    Participant

I don’t understand how there are people out there that think this is adequate packing for such beautiful sculptures… πŸ™

There were only two times that I had ordered Windstones on ebay that didn’t have their original boxes. And both came to me smashed to smithereens.
                      The first one was the worse of the two. It was a Black Gold Lap Dragon and all they put in there were 4 squares of big bubble wrap (the kind that look like small pillows). They were all popped and the poor dragon was sadly obliterated.

Ever since then, I’ve become so nervous that I just don’t have it in me to order anything without their original box. (My only exception is if I recognize the seller as a forum member here). Like everyone else, it completely breaks my heart to see any of these beautiful sculptures destroyed from someone being rather careless. So much work went into creating these “masterpieces” that it’s a shame to see one destroyed… πŸ™

Joy

Guess I’ve been lucky so far, then – I’ve bought two on eBay and they were both packaged and shipped perfectly. One was a peacock Hatching Empress and the other was a copper patina Mother Dragon. And of course, the three I’ve bought from forum members have been absolutely perfect. πŸ™‚

fatalbeauty
                        Participant

just remembered an oddly packed one I received…when it came it was in an old box from some tv product and inside as packing material were a sweatshirt and two t-shirts….I have no idea how my hatching peg survived the journey safely….

4 things I'm looking for:
                          1. Mother Meerkat
                          2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                          3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                          4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Tara
                          Participant

just remembered an oddly packed one I received…when it came it was in an old box from some tv product and inside as packing material were a sweatshirt and two t-shirts….I have no idea how my hatching peg survived the journey safely….

I know how it made it safely
                            It had the will to live πŸ˜›

Kujacker
                            Participant

I don’t know. I think my experience takes the cake on poor packaging. I bought a large happy cat off of ebay and the seller sent it in a bubble envelope. Just… put in the envelope like you might send a common plastic toy. Needless to say, it was shattered. Kyrin was kind enough to fix him up, though.

I think people assume because they are so heavy, and appear very sturdy, that they can’t be hurt.

I don’t know. I think my experience takes the cake on poor packaging. I bought a large happy cat off of ebay and the seller sent it in a bubble envelope. Just… put in the envelope like you might send a common plastic toy. Needless to say, it was shattered. Kyrin was kind enough to fix him up, though.

I think people assume because they are so heavy, and appear very sturdy, that they can’t be hurt.

:jawdrop:

Yow. Yes, I think you win (or lose) on that one–glad Kyrin was able to fix him, but that’s just stunning.

I’ve only done a few ebay transactions; all went fine. I did very thoroughly check pics beforehand though, warned sellers who had no clue about packaging & that these guys were fragile, and I’ve only gotten small sculpts so far. Oddly enough, the one with the poorest packaging was the most expensive of the bunch, and was from a collector. When I saw the crushed box, my heart sank–but the sculpt did fine in spite of whatever it went through on its way here.

As for descriptions–while I agree the listing shown is pretty light on details, they’ve provided a ton of pics that show each chip. I’d object to the “like new” phrasing because of those chips, but “vintage” condition generally means it’s got a few issues.

What personally drives me up a wall are the ones who put things up at 7 times their actual going price, declare it as a “rare and unique” piece (never mind that it was in production for years) and then let it sit there for months, presumably wondering why it doesn’t sell. It’s neither “rare” nor “unique” if 5 others just like it have sold for far far less in the last three months. Do they really think people aren’t going to look up the completed listings? (or for that matter, the current ones, when one just like it is also available at the normal going rate?) *shakes head*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.