fbpx

Bugs in the backyard

Home Forums Miscellany Community Bugs in the backyard

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Pegasi1978
    Participant

I’m not really sure where the old bug thread is hiding so rather than search it out (Sorry Nam!), might as well make a new one.

*Shudders* I was standing in my kitchen a little while ago and saw some poeple approach the outer fence and point at something. Wondering if they were pointing at something on the back porch I went out to see what was up. Apparently there are several new “guests” in the outer part of my yard.

I didn’t take this picture, but that is exactly what my “guests” look like. More information on the spiders can be found here. I plan on calling maintenance in the morning to have them get rid of them as I am finding conflicting information regarding whether they are poisonous or not.

Pegasi1978
      Participant

I have some spiders in my yard that are sort of cute. Yours look kinda ghastly.

Pegasi1978
        Participant

I know. And seeing as I actually have a spider bite allergy I don’t want to go near them until I know if they are poisonous or not. I’ve at least asked the neighborhood kids to keep away.

Travistie
          Participant

Nasty looking spiders! I would definitely have them gotten rid of.

Hey, it looks like the female is missing one of her legs. I just noticed that.

Hmm, I wonder if that is the same spider that is in Charolette’s (Sp?) Web. They look kinda cool, but kinda creepy at the same time. Oh and I need a couple of them to keep away the bees.

All spiders are venomous, but not necessarily dangerous to humans. The orb weavers (like yours) aren’t “poisonous” so if you don’t have to get rid of him, …. they’re so cool and very beneficial!

Skigod377
            Participant

They’re creepy.

NirvanaCat13
              Participant

Oooooohh!!! She’s GORGEOUS!!! And with the male too! That’s a GREAT picture! It’s a Golden Silk Orb weaver, they actualy weave spider silk into their web that reflects ultraviolet light to attract insects. Very awesome!

Adaneth
                Participant

Cool shaggy legs! ๐Ÿ˜€

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

Don’t get rid of them! Those kinds of spiders never come indoors and will never bother people- and they will only eat your outdoor bugs (and spiders that DO come indoors!). We had one that lived on our porch last year and she ate all the other spiders that came around. She was the only spider I ever liked.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

Megan
                    Participant

*shudder* Lord, that is the stuff of nightmares… I’m cool with spiders as long as they are outside and at least a meter from me ๐Ÿ˜†

๐Ÿ™‚ Here’s mine. She’s a black & yellow garden spider (Argiope), though the kids around here call ’em zipper spiders, which I think is totally cute. This one has been hanging out on our house for about a month now, and her colors are starting to fade. My daughter has learned to be fascinated by & protective of our spiders, but unfortunately we do have some black widows hanging around, and if we spray, the good bugs will bite it way before widows, flies, or mosquitos.

That is kinda cool design that they weave.

Pegasi1978
                      Participant

Nirvanacat13 wrote:

Oooooohh!!! She’s GORGEOUS!!! And with the male too! That’s a GREAT picture! It’s a Golden Silk Orb weaver, they actualy weave spider silk into their web that reflects ultraviolet light to attract insects. Very awesome!

I wish I could say I took the picture, but I don’t think the ones I took turned out as well. I went hunting on the for pictures of the spiders and that was one of the first ones that showed up on a google search. My spiders look exactly like that though. There are actually two females with their own webs right next to each other and I did see one male, not sure if there were any others. Since I have spider bite allergies I stayed back aways. Didn’t want to rile them up if I didn’t have too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.